Hunt In The Rain!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jigglestick

Re: Hunt In The Rain!

Unread postby jigglestick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:20 am

I heard one time that any time there's precipitation in the air, be it rain or snow, it mess's with a deers vision.
I'm all for that.
the rain also helps with scent control.
maybe not from airborn scent, but your trail coming in.

this point how ever, I will take a different stand than Magic, in that I would rather hunt first daylight if hunting in the rain, simply because I would have all day to recover what could quite possibly be challenging tracking job.
it's so much easier to track in day light, rain or no rain.

I got my first good buck in the rain. it was my favorite hunt of all time.

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:00 am

I do believe it's a Beast No-No to speak of a favorite hunt of all time and not go into detail... Let's hear the story. Maybe we can take something away from it since it was pertinent to the rain.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:34 am

I got my first good buck in the rain. it was my favorite hunt of all time.

I do believe it's a Beast No-No to speak of a favorite hunt of all time and not go into detail...

Sam's right, Im calling man law on that one! lets here the story!
jigglestick

Unread postby jigglestick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm

aw come on.
I've already told it a couple times...well I guess not here, over at the old site I did in great detail.

not sure if I should do it here or in a seperate thread?
really it wasn't a big buck. probably didn't score much over a hundred, but given my history, that bad boy was boone and crocket to me.

I'll tell it and then if you want you can move it.

I'll first start by prefacing my story with a little history of my deer hunting career.

I've been deer hunting since I was 14. that was the age you had to be in our house hold.
I grew up in the twin cities and my pa would head north with the guys to hunt each fall.
sensing his excitement as he packed his gear and headed north each year only built upon the anticipation of when I'd finaly be able to join the ranks.
looking back I think my pop liked to have beers with the group of guys at camp as much as he liked the hunt itself, so that may or may not have had an influence on when I'd be able to join the hunt.
once the kid started hunting that probably changed hunting a bit for him.
I have to say that he always seemed to look forward to hunting with me and my brothers, so I don't feel like I was the fith wheel ever.

in fact I think he rather enjoyed his new group of hunting partners.
we eagerly drug out any deer he ever shot.
helped pack the truck days before it was time to leave. checked the list over several times just to be sure we weren't missing anything etc.

as I got older and the huints progressed, every thing was perfect. just like I'd imagined, except one thing was missing.
I never shot a deer.
I mean I didn't expect to get one ever. rather, it was something that I figured when the time was right, a deer dumb enough to step in my line of fire would step out and the rest would be in the books.
lets say after nine years of going out and checking/building/repairing stands, when that first unknowing spike buck stepped onto the little knowl I was set up on and I made my first ever kill, it was a feeling I'll never forget. the second buck would find itself on our meat pole four hours later.
a decent fork horn that I genuinely out smarted.

from then on, it was what ever I had a tag for.
spike, fork, doe, it didn't matter. they were going down and I stacked up the count every chance I could.

we moved from place to place hunting mostly public land and I always seemd to manage dropping the hammer on something, small buck or doe and that was very satisfying to me, given my first nine years of drought.

then came a day when we hunted at my brothers new property for the first time.
my youngest brother shot himself a nice eight pointer.
son of a bisket!
how come I haven't shot one of those yet?
that question rattled around in my mellon all year and I kept wondering why and the answer became obvious. because I shot what ever came along without waiting for anything else to show itself. that and a whole bunch of bad luck, man made or otherwise.

I made it my mission to improve my hunting and tag a decent buck, eight points or larger.
this was the start of my frustration.

I swear I could write a book on my close encounters.
I would title it "Blunders".
it would start with the buck that gave me the slip in the cedar swamp whose horns I could see and never got a chance to squeeze the trigger.
I would follow that with the muzzle loader eight pointer that offered a perfect shot only to find that the gun was loaded with the 209 primer only.
then you'd hear about the muzzle loader eight pointer that caught me by surprise at ten yards whose extra sense told him something wasn't right and I could not move, again never getting off a shot.
if I told you about all those ones then it wouldn't be fair not to tell you about the meadow buck that my son and I jumped on our way out to the power line stand. actually got two shots off and drew blood when I knicked his brisket on a running shot. tracked that deer for 3/4 of a mile on my hands and knees most of the way only to lose him when he hit the field running.

every year, I would get a little closer to sealing the deal and every year, I'd find one more way to screw it up.
I was getting to the point where I figured there was no mor ways to screw up, I was gonna have to conect. the odds had to be in my favor.

well, the odds were in my favor.
all the years out hunting, successful or not, I was learning.
every experience had taught me something whether I knew it or not.
the thing that tipped the odds my way the most was finaly finding a group of people with the same drive and passion as myself, with enough experience and encounters and a willingness to share those tidbits with others like myself.
alot of the folks here are those same people.people like Dan, Magic and the blood brothers.
the rest of the people here are just like them.

now they didn't teach me every thing. no way.
they did however offer up an avenue of recources.
when something didn't make sense, I could bounce it off the board here and more likely than not I'd get an answer that would make the light bulb in my noggin come on and it would make perfect sense.
these guys also gave me the confidence to trust my own instincts and judgement. a small bit of advice from me to you, if you ever doubt your own abilities or skill, don't. stop right there.
always remember that even an unsuccessful hunt will teach you something. also remember this, if you didn't kill that buck today, that means he's likely still out there.

now the hunt.
November 6th 2008.
30 years of deer hunts under my belt and not a decent rack to show for it, I kept my head and optimism, even after I rose from bed early knowing the rifle season was 48 hours away and found that it was raining that morning.
I headed down stairs to the computer to check the radar.
what I saw looked ugly. the entire state of Minnesota was covered in various shades of green.
I kept watching the loop play over and over in it's counter clockwise motion.
I did notice however that there was a slight break in the green rotating our way.
it looked like there would be a 45 minute break in the rain.
I needed to hunt that window.
two days previously, I had hunted a strip of balsams, that were the transiton between an area of mature hardwood and a cut over of aspen about 25 feet high.
on that hunt, I had two bucks, a spindly spike and it's brother, a skinny horned fork walk directly under my stand, one of them pausing to rub against my tree. they did not alarm or show any signs that they thought something out of place, so , I chose to hunt the same sit again in the morning.
the next morning I clumb the same tree and again I had another buck come in, from basicly the same direction. a decent six pointer, but he was not up to my expectations and he like the others, walked directly under my treestand, again, without a clue I was there.
this got me thinking that I was doing something right with my scent control.
it also let me think that that area would be good for one more sit.
I would normaly never do this, but the pre rut was obviously going strong, and I aparently not stunk the place up nor warned the neighbor hood that I was hanging out, so with the rifle season bearing down I told myself I'd hunt it one more time the next morning.

giving myself the go ahead to hunt that 45 minute break in the rain, proved the be the decision that would finaly get the monkey off my back.
I got to the woods near the tree that I had ascended two days in a row previously, I wanted a slightly different vantage point, so I chose a cleaner aspen tree about ten yards south of the one I had been marking up, just to get a better chance at a shot were a buck to come from the same balsam thicket that I had seen the three other bucks come out of.

I strapped the summit climber to the tree and locked on at 19 feet.
I settled down,knocked and arrow and the rain let up. perfect.

about 5 minutes into my hunt, I noticed movement coming from my right basicly in front of me from the mature woods.
it was a doe. the first do I had ever seen in this patch of woods.
all others, including the epty gun buck, had had horns.
she needed to die.
even more so, I needed a good ice breaker.
she was moving in, a little hurried. not running, but deffinately not doddling around, so when she hopped a downed tree twenty yards away, I drew back. she hesitated and then stepped out from behind the low branches of a mature balsam tree. I settled the pin on her while she walked and touched the release trigger.
she skipped and hopped about fifteen yards and then turned to look back at where she was when I shot at her. I couldn't see her body, but I could see her head. she looked and sniffed the air. I saw her lick her nose and she stood there.
how could I have missed?
she then made her way into the new growth aspen. I could hear her walk off.
thinking I hit her, I was shaking.
I told myself to sit down and relax. I told myself " a buck might be coming along"
we always say that right? so I knocked another arrow and sat down and took a deep breath.
it wasn't a couple minutes later, I caught movement again, coming from the same spot as the doe, and this one had horns!
I stood quietly, knowing he was dogging her and readied myself for a shot.
he was completely predictable as he hopped that same downed tree, I drew my bow. he hesitated for only a second and then came out from behind that balsam branch.
my pin was on him and I let him have it.
THWACK!! that was the coolest sound I had ever heard.
he spun to the right and took off.
on the third bound I could see blood gushing from the entrance side.
I hit him perfect right behind the shoulder slightly quartering to at 19 yards from my tree.
he hopped out of my sight and Iheard no crash.
the rush that came over me was as many of you know, quite powerful.
I made myself sit down and breath.
I wasn't even done shaking from shooting at the doe minutes before.

while I sat there trying to regroup, it statred to rain. sprinkles at first then turning to steady rain.
son of a , this is yet one more way how I'm gonna screw up. I just knew it.
I tried to climb down but I was still to shaky, so I made myself wait some more.
after a quick phone call to wake my brother, I finaly got it together enough to climb down. reaching the ground, I walked over to where I had shot at the deer and this is what I found.

both arrows stuck in the ground, six inches apart, both covered in blood!

the rain was coming down steady enough that I knew the blood trail would start washing.
I pushed a little to find that there was a good trail, but it was indeed washing away.
I layed back and called a friend, figuring we might have to do a ground sweep to find this buck.
he told me he'd come right over and he did.
he also stopped at the house and picked up my youngins and my camera. good thinking.
while I waited for him, I pushed just a bit farther and there, thirty yards from my tree, just out of sight, he lay.

thirty years and it all came down to that morning in the rain.

as my friend entered the trail into the woods, he spotted the doe, bedded just off the trail.
she was sick and din't want to move.
we let her be until we finnished dragging the buck to the truck and went back for her. by that time she had expired, ending my hunt with a picture of my rainy day double.

now you can understand why I like hunting in the rain. you can also appreciate why this little 8 point buck was a giant to me.

feel free to move this to a new thread if you like. I knew it wasn't going to be a short story.

kinda gets a guy pumped up for september eh?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 am

Great story... Thanks for re-posting! 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 am

Cool story!
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:13 am

I was reminded of this topic last night while having a few with some good friends who also take the stand in the fall. We were discussing how many phones I've lost while fishing and ruined while hunting - I think it's at least one a year :(

Anyways, I was happy to dispell that my new phone is unbreakable and can stand more than just water - I can also drop it in a pitcher of beer and call it - watch it ring, lol. So, moral of this story, don't do what I did last year and decide it would be a good idea to take pictures with your phone of your view from your stand and text back and forth... I did and didn't talk to anyone for at least a week after :(

So hunt in the rain, but beware of your phone. Silly
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:44 pm

That's a topic I'm going to change this season, I work an enormous amount of time each week and when I get a day off this bow season I'm hunting come rain or shine. Last year and previous years I opted to sit in the house during rainy days, this year I'm getting out there espically because my off time is so limited.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”