More farmland bedding questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

More farmland bedding questions

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 am

Building on Future Doc's question on Farmland bedding areas, I was wondering what everyone thinks a mature buck requires before selecting a bedding site in Farmland country. Here are a few I think they need.
1. Seclusion-- not getting interupted by predators and humans.
2. Backdrop or break up cover, to conseal them better.
3. Wind currents in their favor
Other things would include visual advantage and hearing advantage, along with obstacles such as water or cliffs, altough these are not always available.
Also, how many of these sites does a mature buck need, I think in farmland country because conditions vary so much, that a farmland buck is less predictable. This I believe cause them to select many more bedding sites. But maybe I'm just saying that because I have a difficult time finding buck bedding sites in farmland country. Hill country and Marshes seem to be easier, but maybe thats because the are a couple of good DVD's out about them ;)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: More farmland bedding questions

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:24 am

Dvd or not, predicting farmland bucks bedding areas is harder than hill country or Marsh... I don't think they have more or less beds, just not the type of bed that you can easily pinpoint with a map.

was wondering what everyone thinks a mature buck requires before selecting a bedding site in Farmland country.

Great question... The generally seek out a spot that offers them a great advantage over predators (humans included) That advantage might be with site... Some beds I have seen look over the trail every hunter enters that particular farm on... Some beds will be located in spots that are generally over looked, where no one wanders, or where no one would suspect a deer to live. The tiny section that never gets hunted or driven.

Some have a wind advantage, this is often in conjunction with one of the other advantages. For example they like to lie in an isolated clump of brush where no one goes but they can see across a big field and watch the hunters access but the wind is at there back alerting them of danger from behind...

Sound is another factor in choosing bedding. Some bucks will bury themselves in brush so thick that you can't possibly get to him without making noise and alerting him.

Expect there could be more than one of these factors when looking at a big bucks bed.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Remember that bucks like to use two senses at once when they bed...the most common being a good view one way and smell the other, really no different than big wood's hill country bucks.

Where I hunt, farm bucks are a lot easer to find and hunt...there are well defined funnels, obvious primary food sources, limited cover, easy to see and pattern, easy to enter, exit and hunt with the wind in your favor. All of this coupled to the fact that they out number the big woods buck 3 to 1 make them a lot less fun.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:17 pm

This is a tough one 4 sure. 2 me it seems like in the marsh you bump a buck or find a good bed ,and you think man I can see why he was here.This is a perfect spot ,makes sense that he was there. Seems as your walking along that, oh yeah this is looking good and he,s there.
But in famland you bust out a buck and they always leave you stratching your head ,going what did I overlook here.Many times for me I've seen the crazy spots like a tiny ditch in the middle of a field,bedding in the middle of a plowed field, bedding in the middle of knee high grass without a tree for a mile.
Many years ago when i was just gettin crazy about hunting .I was frustrated by not seeing any big bucks.I asked my Grandpa who had shot many deer for some help.He told me to stop listening to all the advice from everyone that did,nt how a deer thinks.He would say unless the people your talking are deer than what the do they know.Kinda of interesting but not a lot of help to a 14 year old just starting to hunt.
He had given up hunting because of some bad experiences with party hunters and stray bullets .Too many crazy hunters he would say. I asked him if he could at least point me in the right direction of a big buck .He said he would help me get onto my first one and after that I was on my own.
He pointed me too an abondoned windmill way off the road ,surrounded by a small patch of grass .The area was only 20' by 20' . I told my dad about the spot and he laughed at me but finally after a couple days of no deer he agreed to hunt the spot .It was only me, my dad and my aunt hunting. She dropped us off on the far side of the plowed field and posted on the downwind edge of the field .The only thing between us was a whole lotta plowed field and a windmill smack dab in the middle.We made the long walk to the windmill.I was mad cause I wanted to post but I had to stay by his side and he thought the long walk would,ve been too hard on my aunt.Well to no avail we made the walk and finally reached my aunt.I was pretty dissapointed that there was no big buck and that my Grandpa was wrong too. But she was prettyy shook up when we got to her and asked her what was wrong. She said the biggest buck she had ever seen got up and ran right past her.So of course we asked why she did,nt shoot ! She said that she thought the rack was too big to be a deer,and that it must be a moose.But after it ran past her she saw the white tail and realized it was'nt a moose ,but a deer .But by then it was too late for a shot.
My grandpa still laughes at me when he heres that story even to this day.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:16 am

I was out on a recent scouitng mission, drive by this proprty and it does not look the best per say, but see a few turkeys and a patch of CRP on the other side of the ditch.

So I go around and am like what the I will get out and see what is over the hill. Could not find a place to park so just stopped and pulled over in the ditch.

Start walking get about 80 yards and start cresting the hill and see a big set of velet antlers in the CRP.

This deer was bedded on the slope of a small knob with the the wind at his back looking over this crp field in the middle of on where. I watched him for a while and bumped him.

He took four steps and was gone over the knob. After walking back to my truck, I found where you can pull in, and the wind from that spot was blowing dirctly where the deer was beeded.

So I can only assume on a SW wind he lays there, and if you park there he will smell you and be gone before you ever leave your truck.

So I hope he stays around and to be honest if I had not seen those turkeys I would have never even got out and investigated the spot. Going to try and put a ealry seson game plan on him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:45 am

Great info Keb... Most hunters would see the deer and never relate why he was there. The guys who can figure them out and always asks himself Why?
Are the ones that succeed the most.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:14 pm

My primary hunting is farm land in a high pressure area.

I would say to look for these things...

the slighted changes in elevation- rise or depression- in a flat field

rock piles and tree clumps

junk and old equipment or homes- no science here; just experience

hard transitions next to active homes, pastures

I have seen them bed with the wind to their backs, some even back track.....but the one thing that hold consistency is when the woods see orange they hole up in the area above. early season pattern helps some but golden rod ridges, dogwood, tall grasses...even old apple orchards..... deer around here vary til the gun brigade is marching
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:25 am

My experience is limited, so please take this w/ a grain of salt. On the one farm I hunt I've found beds in cut overs that have turned into thickets. They provide no trees for stands on majority of the land I can hunt. They get up from bedding and hit the fields for grub. The most interesting one I found is about 20yds to left of where you access the land in a pine thicket. He new (if he was bedded there) every time I pulled up and got out of my truck. I found the bed about a month ago and it dosent appear he has used in a while. I found no fresh hair. I'm thinking this is due to the field having corn and not beans this year so he really has no use for it this time of year. That should change in a few months tho! Also Im assuming he will only be bedded their per wind to his advantage. It seems it's 80% in his favor and 20% in mine. This holds true for the whole farm. Almost the wrong set up for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”