Food plot help ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
Swampthing
500 Club

Food plot help ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:13 pm

I posted a few days ago about a couple new food plots.I,m a little behind planting them so trying to speed things up a bit .Was wondering being these plots are about 275 yards from buck bedding, if useing a weedeater to get a little help knocking down the weeds would disturb the area too much.Or should i just tough it out and bring'em down with a hand sye.I have already sprayed the area with ROUNDUP 1 week ago. Should i be pulling out the bigger dead weeds by the roots and all,or will they just rake away.I was also wondering about cutting back the weeds bordering the plot or is,nt this neccesary ?

3dog

Re: Food plot help ?

Unread postby 3dog » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Swampthing, food plots get a lot easier when you plan ahead. Say if I'm going to put in a new plot I'll mow the area in mid september then let it grow for 3 weeks. By that time the weeds are around 6", perfect for spraying. So I spray and let the frost work on the roots over the winter. In late March, I'll go in and burn off the fodder. By mid may I have bare ground with rotted roots, the soil works up beautifully. This, to me, is the most important thing of food plotting, a good seed bed.

As for what you should do now, I'd wait at least 4 weeks after spraying before I do anything. The problem you're going to have is heavy fodder on top and roots that are still holding together on the bottom. I recommend oats, they're a great fall attractant when planted in mid August. I don't mess around with the high priced stuff either. I've planted VNS oats side by side with high dollar oats a couple different times on different tracts, no difference in forage rate what so ever. Hope this helps, good luck with your plots!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for the help .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:41 pm

swampthing, if your going to rush the food plot I think your heading for failure or at least less than desirable results. Preparation is everything and this includes timing. I think the best thing to do is to wait and go back in three weeks to spray again if you missed anything or if anything has grown up (there will be lots of weed seeds down in there). Then wait for nature to break down the tops and roots. Then depending on soil PH and where your located you can decide what to plant and when to plant it. What exactly are you hoping to end up with for a food plot?

If you want to plant oats you should work them in since they don't germinate well on the surface. Depending on where your at you may be able to plant your Clover this year (assuming your soil PH is good) or you can wait until late winter to frost seed (much more reliable) into your previous fall crop. There are lots of options depending on your ultimate goal, your soil and if you will take all the proper steps.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”