My Favorite Deer Rifle!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Dewey

Re: My Favorite Deer Rifle!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I rifle hunt with a Browning .270 Win. A-Bolt Medallion but I haven't killed a deer with it yet since I just bought it before last season.
Previously I hunted with a .308 Model 100 Winchester. It was a nice gun and I shot a lot of deer with it but I also had it jam up on me a few times on nice bucks so I got rid of it! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:16 am

I, like bridge, shoot a 7mm mag 160 noslers. Animals just fall down.

Thinking about getting another rifle, something a little smaller. Like a 7mm-08 or 25-06 short barrel bolt action light weight "mountain rifle" in Kimber or Ruger.

PLH, I would never sass a 30-30 as you shoot, I have read that they have taken more deer than any other round.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 pm

I have always been accused of going in my own direction - recurve, longbow, wilderness and now the old thutty-thutty. Kind of like being different.

Sam Fadala wrote a good book several years ago titled, "Winchester's Model 94". He outlines the beginnings of the rifle and cartridge and follows it's progression through time. From deer, elk, moose, black, grizzy and Kodiaks. It has killed them all at one time or another. A gun is only as deadly as the person behind it!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 am

I've been hunting with my Remington 7600 pump rifle since 1991. I used a lever action 30-30 with iron sights for two seasons before that. That gun was from the 1940's and always is in our deer camp in the gun rack with a box of bullets in case someone has trouble with their gun during the season. If I ever was to get a different deer rifle I would strongly consider a remington pump 30-06 carbine like my cousin shoots. Like a 18.5 inch barrel. He started with open sights but now has a Leupold 1-4 power scope which makes it about as sweet of a public land swamp gun as you can get! It flat out knocks down the deer too :o We all use the safari rifle slings from Cabelas too! 8-) That way our guns are always at the ready and we are always hunting! When you are posting on a drive you can have your hands in your pockets with some handwarmers and your gun is always ready! You don't get waited down holding it for hours at a time either! We never sling our guns while walking. Gun season is only 9 days so if you ain;t ready, you ain't hunting! You just never know when that buck is gonna sneak out in front of ya!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 am

Public Land Beast wrote: If I ever was to get a different deer rifle I would strongly consider a remington pump 30-06 carbine like my cousin shoots. Like a 18.5 inch barrel.

I'm currently looking for one.

Public Land Beast wrote: We never sling our guns while walking.

I stopped using a sling as well. It's always a pain while moving thru brush and I found that the sling swings back and forth when I shoulder my rifle and it really effects my accuracy on those quick shots.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

270 Win Ruger M77 w/redfield 3X9 scope. Shot my first buck with it, and every buck I've shot with a rife thereafter. The safety on it jammed the one year, had to take it to get it fixed. The gunsmith its very possible it will jam again. Despite the fact that I have another rifle, another 270 in better working condition that I inherited from a grandfather, I will not put down my original scratched and beat up deer rifle. The outside is far from looking beautiful but I take care of the barrel and chamber so it still shoots as accurate as anything else I would shoot. I don't know how some guys keep their guns looking so new, I like mine the way it is so I'm not afraid to take it through the thick stuff!
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 am

A fine firearm is like a tool. Tools are meant to be used. Most reliable rifles have some wear from use, but always get the job done and can be counted on like an old friend.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”