Another Andre' Tactical Question???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Another Andre' Tactical Question???

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 am

Dan do you find that when you bump them and "never see them again" it is in areas with high pressure or areas with many other good bedding spots nearby? If I bump a buck in an area with crappy bedding except the spot he seems to be hidden in, is he more likely to return than if he had many other very good spots nearby? Or is the amount of predator/human pressure more to blame for bucks relocating and tolerating less harassment?

bump them and "never see them again" was kind of a joke, with a little bit of truth...
I think its really dependant on the bed and how secure the buck feels, and his own personality and paranoia... If a buck feels like you wandered close but never really new he was there he is likely to return. If he feels threatened he ain't coming back for a while..

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 am

dan wrote:
Dan do you find that when you bump them and "never see them again" it is in areas with high pressure or areas with many other good bedding spots nearby? If I bump a buck in an area with crappy bedding except the spot he seems to be hidden in, is he more likely to return than if he had many other very good spots nearby? Or is the amount of predator/human pressure more to blame for bucks relocating and tolerating less harassment?

bump them and "never see them again" was kind of a joke, with a little bit of truth...
I think its really dependant on the bed and how secure the buck feels, and his own personality and paranoia... If a buck feels like you wandered close but never really new he was there he is likely to return. If he feels threatened he ain't coming back for a while..

Got it! Thanks Dan! One more question, for now, lets say you bump a buck midday, late morning leaving your stand, early afternoon on the way in to set up, something like that. Where does he go? Is he going to head over to his next best bedding area and sit down there for awhile? If it were that easy a two man approach to the bump and dump would be successful I would think...so I assume its not that easy :lol: But seriously where do they go?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

Got it! Thanks Dan! One more question, for now, lets say you bump a buck midday, late morning leaving your stand, early afternoon on the way in to set up, something like that. Where does he go? Is he going to head over to his next best bedding area and sit down there for awhile? If it were that easy a two man approach to the bump and dump would be successful I would think...so I assume its not that easy But seriously where do they go?

They go to a secondary bedding area... And yes, it can be easy to do pushes to the next bedding area if there is a ;limeted number of bedding areas and you know them well... But pressure like that is best waited for special reasons most of the time so you don't burn to many bridges... A desperation push should be done just prior to a percieved threat upon the buck bedding. Such as a buck bedding where pheasant hunters will likely be in a couple days for the opener, or the end of bow season nearing. Etc...
Or a bed that can't be hunted traditionally and your better off moving the buck.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I would also be interested in a copy of those books....

X2!!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 am

Does this bump and dump style only apply to in season or are some of you setting up in the off season if you bump what you think to be a mature buck?

Has anyone experienced a bumped buck just circling out of harms way and returning back to the bed they were bumped from a short time later? I have experienced this myself on a number of occasions while walking in for an evening hunt and in one instance have even successfully harvested the buck when he tried to return several minutes later.

Would also love to see a book or books from both of you :D

Gibby
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Gibby wrote:Does this bump and dump style only apply to in season or are some of you setting up in the off season if you bump what you think to be a mature buck?

Has anyone experienced a bumped buck just circling out of harms way and returning back to the bed they were bumped from a short time later? I have experienced this myself on a number of occasions while walking in for an evening hunt and in one instance have even successfully harvested the buck when he tried to return several minutes later.

Would also love to see a book or books from both of you :D

Gibby

Works for cottontails. :lol:

Have seen deer circle back to see what jumped them......but only when a wind was in my favor and pretty sure they didn't sight me.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:57 pm

I was daydreaming about fall today and was reviewing some of my "spots" in my head and picturing them and how I might hunt them. Then I got thinking about bump and dump and have some more questions. When you bump a buck towards the time of day when he will be up and moving to feed do you know his primary food source and are you bumping him towards that? Also, when you bump him do you know ahead of time how he will return to his bed so that when he returns in the morning he won't cross the same path you used to bump him?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:41 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I was daydreaming about fall today and was reviewing some of my "spots" in my head and picturing them and how I might hunt them. Then I got thinking about bump and dump and have some more questions. When you bump a buck towards the time of day when he will be up and moving to feed do you know his primary food source and are you bumping him towards that? Also, when you bump him do you know ahead of time how he will return to his bed so that when he returns in the morning he won't cross the same path you used to bump him?

I will add something to BWH's question if he doesnt mind...

Do you typically do this on days when the moon says the buck will be returning to his bed later? After first light?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Do you typically do this on days when the moon says the buck will be returning to his bed later? After first light?
When Moon, weather, or timeing put him back at his bed in daylight.

When you bump a buck towards the time of day when he will be up and moving to feed do you know his primary food source and are you bumping him towards that?

Sometimes you know where he is feeding, sometimes you don't... Sometimes its a buck you intend to bump, sometimes you never saw the buck before the bump. Bumping him towards his food sounds good in theory, but to soft bump a deer you generally need to show up where he expects you to show. A lot of bucks have there beds placed for vision or scent reasons, its placed in a mannor to see or smell your expected approach from a certain direction. The bump is intended to get him up and moving without getting any closer to the bed than you have to. Coming in from a different direction than the buck expects danger to come from could cause him to freak out a little more... Not always, but it should be considered if your thinking about where you expect his bed...
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:29 am

I saw dan bumped this back to life. So... If the buck is approaching the bed with the wind in his nose how can you set up at that location and still get a crack at him?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 pm

cdeam wrote:I saw dan bumped this back to life. So... If the buck is approaching the bed with the wind in his nose how can you set up at that location and still get a crack at him?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

From up high in a tree towards the down wind side...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Sometimes the entry trail will have a bend in it (j hook), knowing where the buck turns into the wind and setting up just downwind of that works well.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 am

I tried this on an 8 about 3 weeks back that I had seen returning to a bench 3 mornings in a row. He wasn't the deer I was after, so it was a good candidate for trial and error. I bumped him off the bench about 4 PM and hunted the next morning out of the same stand I had observed him returning to bed on the bench previously. That morning he came back but the down wind leg of the approach to the bed/bench increased from about 70 yards to about 125 yards. If I had set up trying to kill him in the same general spot he had started to hook into the bed on previous mornings he would have been well downwind before heading for the bed/bench.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:44 am

darenative wrote:I tried this on an 8 about 3 weeks back that I had seen returning to a bench 3 mornings in a row. He wasn't the deer I was after, so it was a good candidate for trial and error. I bumped him off the bench about 4 PM and hunted the next morning out of the same stand I had observed him returning to bed on the bench previously. That morning he came back but the down wind leg of the approach to the bed/bench increased from about 70 yards to about 125 yards. If I had set up trying to kill him in the same general spot he had started to hook into the bed on previous mornings he would have been well downwind before heading for the bed/bench.

Interesting observation...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”