Do you Bowhunt opening weekend ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tim
500 Club

Re: Do you Bowhunt opening weekend ?

Unread postby tim » Wed May 12, 2010 2:38 am

if im able to i will hunt opening weekend. i work every other weekend though. so often time my opening day is the first monday. i stay away from mornings also, but this year i have a setup that i could get away with a morning hunt when the wind is right due to great access. so i will be attempting a morning if given the opportuniy.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 am

Yes, I definately hunt opening weekend. The public land I hunt has not seen any access from people since the last day of the previous hunting season. It's a great time to catch a big buck by surprise!

Honestly I can't relate to the people who don't hunt until the rut. They don't know what they are missing.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 am

Casper wrote:...Do more harm than good in the mornings because they are in their bed already...

This depends on where you live and in what month opening day starts. This year opening day is the 18th of October where I live, so I will jump right into early morning hunting.

I always plan on hunting opening week.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 am

I will be hunting the opener that's for sure. I'm so excited for it to be here I can't wait. I think the first 2 weeks of september will be the longest in my life.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed May 12, 2010 6:11 am

I agree with the afternoon hunt on opening day, but last year opening morning I could have shot a 6pt 25 minutes in the season at 10 yards. This was on a public marsh. I really like one or two morning hunts right off the bat if it is in light rain. Down side for the most part you can hear the deer walk by in the dark, they just bed so early in this time of the year.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I definitely try to bowhunt the first few days of the season, on heavy pressure public land it doesn't take long for the bucks to become evasive and extra cautious. I consider those first few days to be a "window" of opportunity.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 am

Spysar wrote:It's practically a holiday!! Who doesn't hunt opening day???
Besides when I was younger opening day has never really been a big deal to me. Back In the day I never missed It though. Opening day here In Mn usually Is around the 2nd to 3rd weekend of September and If I'm still with out a bear chances are I'll be In northern Mn giving my bear hunting one last try for a couple days. I go out west here and there elk hunting also so If a trip Is planned I'll be out there chasing elk on these dates as well.

Early season hunting never really excited me when It came to hunting mature bucks until I started paying some close attention to Dan on the Beast here. Early season hunting now has my attention and rightfully so after listening to Dan In his video's talk about It being actually easier to hunt a specific buck then the rut. Everything he said made allot of sense. I figure on the years that I'm not bear hunting or elk hunting I'll be out opening week trying to target a specific mature buck. I was planning on doing just that this year but Instead I booked a Colorado elk hunt. Hopefully I'll be hunting bears spot and stalk and hunting Muley's as well If I get drawn for them 2.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”