Bad Access?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DropTyne
500 Club

Bad Access?

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am

So it's been said that when looking at access on terrain that is hilly, top access is crucial. What if top access is not an option. If you had access down a river or creek valley and the rest of the property is hilly along the edges of it, is there a way to hunt this? If so how? Or is it best to just look for a better property?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Bad Access?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 am

A topo or aerial photo would help people answer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am

The property where I shot the 14 pointer in Buffalo county is "bottom only" access. Its not ideal, but it is doable. On that property you can't make it to the top without exposing yourself to at least one major buck bed.
So you have to pick your choice by burning the bridge that will do you the least amount of harm if your going to hunt the top.
Top hunting or side hills is best cause of the up hill thermals blowing to the bedded bucks... You can, and I have, found that if your going to be hunting the property more than that one hunt, do your 1st hunt on the bottom if you can sneak under the buck you intend to hunt. But, if you do this, the trick is to have a prehung stand or be quick and quiet at hanging your mobile unit and don't slip in till the sun slides over the hill and the thermal changes to down hill. Only leaves you with about 30 minutes...
Then, since you burned that bedding area/point, use that spot for your access to the top for your next hunt.
If you own the land you can make a single access to the top such as a logging road and clear the timber along the road and get it to grow thick on both sides of the trail to hide your access. But scent might still be an issue.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am

magicman54494 wrote:A topo or aerial photo would help people answer.

I agree with magic... If you post a topo I could probably tell you how I would do it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”