Planting apple tree's ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
dreaming bucks

Planting apple tree's ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 am

Looking for some pointers on planting apple trees....

As some of you know, we logged our woods this last winter and there is now lots of light shining in on the forest floor... I want to plant some apple tree's... I bought 10 of them, 4 gala's, 3 red delicious, 3 yellow delicious.... My question is, to get them to pollenate, do I need to plant them with each other, like one red with one yellow, or maybe one gala with one red or yellow.... I thought I read somewhere that you need to plant different apple trees with each other to get the cross pollenation.... I bought these trees from a friend, and he has no idea if they were self pollenaters or not, so I'm winging it and treating them as if they are not self pollenaters.... What do you guys think ?

Also, do I need to put any fertilizers with the tree when I plant them ?

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Planting apple tree's ?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 am

My cousin and i planted six apple trees on his land last year. I don't think he had any rhyme or reason to how he planted them so i cant really help you on that one. But yes, they highly recommended that we put fertilizer on them the first year.

Also another friend of mine planted some apple trees that never get any apples. This is because he planted them in a really low spot where the buds freeze off every year. At least this is what he told me.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu May 06, 2010 12:49 am

well, see, what I've heard is, The trees will grow, but not produce apples if they do not get pollinated by another tree.. Not sure how it works either, maybe I will do a little internet searching later today to try to learn more... I just don't want to plant 10 apple tree's and then get nothing out of it...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 am

I think if you plant them all in a group, you should be o.k.. This would be a good thing anyway, since they all bear fruit at different times. This will keep your area supplied over a greater part of the hunting season. Fertilizer is always a good thing. Good luck!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 06, 2010 4:37 am

I agree with Black Squirrel... Group them. Your going to need to fence them in till they are mature anyway. Cause otherwise the deer will destroy the trees.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 am

yep, I planned on fencing them, and putting some plastic drain tile hose around the trunks to keep the mice off them... I read somewhere once where a guy likes to spraypaint the trunks to keep them from cracking in the winter... The sun hits the paint and warms them up ? I don't know, maybe that's worth a try.... I can't wait to get them in and see if they grow, sure hope so, thinking this could be a deer magnet down the road.....
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 06, 2010 5:53 am

Andrea just put in a bunch of apple trees on his Iowa farm... Next time I viset him I will take some pic's and look at his approach.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 06, 2010 11:18 am

This should help.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 06, 2010 4:48 pm

By the way, Yellow Delicious & Golden Delicious are the same. Yellow Delicious is partially self fruitful, but you will get a lot more apples if you have a pollinator less than 100’ away (preferably closer). As you can see from the chart you will have to plant all three varieties together for good pollination.

If you paint them use the water based exterior paint & dilute the paint with equal parts of water. Make sure to use WHITE. You do NOT want the trunk to get warm in cold weather. Painting (also known as white washing) protects against sun scald and some insects like borers. I think it helps with the mice too.

I would use ¼” hardware cloth in place of the drain tile. It costs more and is harder to work with, but it works great and you won’t have any problems with powdery mildew. I make a circle about 6” across. By the time it needs to be removed the bark is tough enough not to be bothered by mice, voles, rabbits, etc.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for the info Deerslayer, I will be planting them this saturday, hopefully after I get my turkey that morning.. :D and yes, I agree, Looks like I should plant them all together, so that's the plan, I sure hope it works !
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 07, 2010 6:37 am

What rootstock are they on and how is the soil fertility where your going to plant them?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am

Not sure I know what you mean by "what rootstock are they on" ? They are about 3 feet tall with a pretty big ball of roots on each of them....

I would say the soil is sort of a black sand - to black dirt type soil.... We have lots of limestone rocks under the soil. I had a tough time getting the shovel in the ground when planting my white spruce trees because of hitting rocks alot of the time...

All I know is, my cousin planted like 8 apple trees and a pear tree about 4 years ago, which are only about 400 yards away from where I'm planting these apple trees, and his are great looking trees, but he really took care of them raising them...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 07, 2010 5:47 pm

The rootstock is the root system the apple tree is grafted to. It controls the size of the tree. A variety on one rootstock may be 6’ tall, but 26’ on another rootstock. It also helps add resistance to certain types of disease and how soon it produces fruit. As an example, Northern Spy takes about 10 years to bear fruit on a full size tree, but on a very dwarfing rootstock you can get fruit in as little as 3 years. Another thing a rootstock does is help match the tree to the soil. It sounds like you have some good soil so just about any rootstock would work. Some rootstocks do not have good anchorage and need staking. Your trees are probably on M7 or MM106 roostock. If so, they shouldn’t need staking. There may be a tag on the tree stating the rootstock. If not, you can always call the place your friend bought the trees from if you want to find out. This can tell you how far apart to plant them. If you planed on planting them 25' apart or further you won't have a problem.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 08, 2010 12:45 am

oh, ok, I had no idea about the rootstock.... I probably could find out if I checked into far enough, but I probaby will just plant them and see what happens... Ya, I figured I would probably plant them at least 25 feet apart... So hopefully it all works..... Not sure if you said or not yet, but, Do I spray them for bugs right away, or do I let them get established first ?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 am

Just make sure you plant the trees with in 100' of each other for proper pollination and you should be good.

As far as spraying goes I would give the local county extension office a call as they will know if there are any special things to spray for that are a problem in your area. I wouldn’t spray the first year unless you have to. They should be virus and pest free from the nursery. No point in killing off any beneficial insects or microbes unless necessary. There are different schools of thought on this, but generally people do spray with a good general fungicide/insecticide like Bonide.

I also noticed you had asked about fertilizer. The best thing to do is to get a soil test (cheap) in order to get the best production out of the tree, but as a General rule during the first year use ½ lb of 10-6-4 fertilizer for each apple tree when grown in sod. If you keep the area around the tree free from sod use ¼ lb. Keeping the area out to the drip line free of sod can make a big difference in tree growth. In fact a few inches of mulch around the tree (keep it about three inches from the trunk) keeps the ground 15-20 degrees cooler during hot summer days and conserves water. If you have to use a different fertilizer than you can adjust the amount. For example, Double the amount for 5-10-10 fertilizer or decrease the amount by half for 20-5-10 fertilizer. Add an additional ½ lb per year until you reach 7 ½ lbs a year. Don't fertilize until the last frost date for the area. You don't want a burst of tender new growth only to lose it due to frost.

P.S. Here is a recipe for dormant oil spray (I have not tried it) from http://www.care2.com/greenliving/a-less ... t-oil.html

"In early spring, while fruit trees and shrubs are still dormant, many farmers and gardeners spray what is called a “dormant oil” on the bark and buds of their trees. A very old-fashioned approach to pest control—some say it dates back to the Thea century—the purpose of the oily spray is to suffocate overwintering pests, such as aphids and mites. Most commercial products are made of kerosene or other petroleum oil. A much less toxic and more sustainable approach is to use a renewable resource such as vegetable oil.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoon liquid soap
1 gallon water

Easy Directions
Combine the soap and oil and stir to blend thoroughly. Add the water a bit at a time, stirring as you go (water and oil don’t really emulsify; the soap helps the process). Pour the mixture into a clean garden spray container. Spray a coat of the mixture over the entire bark of a tree. Shake the
container frequently as you are spraying.

Makes 1 gallon, enough for one fruit tree."

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”