One antler...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Read the story... What would you do?

Shoot him
24%
Pass him
55%
Depends on how my season is going.
21%

Total votes: 62
stikbow26

Re: One antler...

Unread postby stikbow26 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 am

I would let him walk but that is just me!!! All three answers are correct which ever you want!!Walt

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 am

A confirmed 4yr old, with a huge side and busted rack would be too cool on public land to pass... I'm shootn!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I think I would pass, but sometimes when you have a nice deer by you it is awfully hard yo resist flinging an arrow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

i would pass. a couple seasons ago i let a nice one walk because all the points where busted off his right side. i did draw back but decided against the shot. hunting the ground on the edge of a cut corn field and he came out right where i had seen the big tracks and walked right in front of me and stopped at 10 yards. he stood there long enough that i was able to pull my phone out and take a picture of him. the very next day i shot 2 does in that same spot less than a minute apart. never did see that buck again.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I let him walk also..... I don't understand the concept of letting him go early in the year and shoot if it's late in the year.. My goals are the same for the whole hunting season, if he's not nice enough to shoot at the start of the year, why is he nice enough to shoot at the end ?

This is something that branches off the idea that Andrea talked about in the marsh bucks Dvd. He said that way too many people jump into the "Big league" type of hunting when they don't have the ground work. As a hunter i am still after a 130" buck and up. All season, this is what i will go after. In my eyes a 120 is still an awesome buck that i would be glad to shoot. But if i go ahead and shoot the 120 right away, there is no time for me to improve my skills as a hunter and go after the 130. But as the season gets latter and i have less time to shoot my trophy, i well lower my standards and take the 120 because i have less time. This way i will have still learned something and became a better hunter even though i did not reach my goal. This 160 with the broken horn is still a trophy in my eyes just like the 120.

I know a guy that is in his 50s. He has done a lot of hunting but in his life he has only killed 2 bucks that he has mounted on the wall. His mistake is obvious he is always going after that 160 incher that does not exist. He never had the ground work to build up to it.

I am with Predator on this one. I have never shoot a buck with my bow so this sucker is in the freezer and on the wall :D
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I would like to pass but I said it would depend on how my season is going, although this is not really what it would I would consider as the major factor in shooting this deer. I think the biggest thing for me is the location Iam hunting, as this deer would be a trophy for most of the areas that I hunt even if he was busted up. If I did shoot this deer I would not fix the rack I would leave it as is..
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 pm

This situation actually happened to me a few year ago. I had a nice buck (solid 155-160 11 point) that was on my hit list at 10 yards his right beam was broken off just before the brow tine. I let him walk and a friend of mine killed him two years later. So I would, and have, let them pass to live another day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
k9callicoat

Unread postby k9callicoat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Id let him walk in early november :pray: hope and pray the rut has another great buck with both antlers waiting for me!! I say this now but in the stand who knows, the one antler might look to good. :L: meat in the freezer
joel k9
jon

Unread postby jon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:11 am

I'd let him walk but would keep tabs on him for next season if he made it.

Stump

Unread postby Stump » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:22 am

I'd pass.......
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 am

pass. eight years ago i was after a real tall WI style racked 140". Saw him twice during season but never presented a shot. On Jan. 10 he strolled by at 10 yards but had shed one antler so i let him go. Found that shed a week later.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26 am

To me the variable would be which public land. If it was land that is not hunted hard (Nicolet in WI) by archery or gun hunters I would let that guy enjoy another year and try to get him in the early season before he gets all busted up again.

If it was public land that looks like a "pumpkin patch" (Kettle Moraine or Necedah in WI or most IL public land!!) during the gun season I would lean towards punching my release and watching my arrow dissappear into his boiler room and be very proud of taking that mature animal.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 am

Had this happen to me last Nov. Would have been a 130 or so 8. Got whacked the next week! I passed him multiple times..Pass is my vote..

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:15 am

Public land, I'm shooting......Different story though if you're on private managed land, then he walks in hopes he'd make it through the year......

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”