Deer tactic's... Stopping deer for the shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Do you stop your deer?

Stop him.
13%
Shoot him walking / or wait till he stops
22%
Depends on the situation
65%

Total votes: 99
hotterthantiffany

Re: Deer tactic's... Stopping deer for the shot?

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am

Casper wrote:So what happens when the deer stops on its own right as youre about to shoot?

I shoot! :D

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 07, 2010 6:46 am

Casper wrote:So what happens when the deer stops on its own right as youre about to shoot?

Basically the opposite of when they start to walk as you shoot. :lol:

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 07, 2010 6:54 am

lungbuster wrote:Good training method Zap. 8-)

I get tired of just shooting at a bale.
We mix it up, treestands, up/down slopes, take the 18/1 in the woods, whatever.

When we grab the bows, strap the 18/1 to an alice pack frame and head into the woods, my son seems to enjoy it more than the same old go to the range thing.
So do I.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:24 am

I just hope they stop after the shot! :D
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun May 09, 2010 5:24 am

I have never had any problem stopping a deer with a grunt type noise, but everytime I have ever whistled at them they freak...weird I know, maybe because I can't whistle worth a darn. I have shot three different deer while moving slowly and made less then perfect shots on them all so I personally won't take a moving shot as it has never worked out as I like even with a recovery a bad shot is hard for me to choke down even though it is something that happens in the deer woods.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 am

I'd stop the deer, or try to with a soft mouth bleat or grunt. In my hunting experience, the only time this has backfired was when I was hunting with my brother and the buck already knew something wasn't quite right because he picked up a little human scent (cut our path to the stand) and was already a little on edge. So, he ended up spooking and trotted off about thirty yards, but went back to his normal activity then. If you're hunting a heavily pressured area or the deer know somethings not quite right, the odds may not be totally in your favor of attepting to stop them. It'll vary by situation...my imput.
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:59 am

Dan
I voted stop him but only because Todd told us that no walking deer would be used in the video. I personaly believe that it depends on the situation,If the buck is alert to something already and is walking slow enough and is close enough I shoot while walking but ever thing else I try and stop them first..
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 am

I blew the shot on a 150" deer once stopping him, he got super alert and I feel he ducked me bad at 26 yards :?: I now go silent if at all possible.. if one comes through chasing I may try to make a sound to get them to stop but for the most part I'm silent while hunting even with calls ( I still try to rattle late Oct though )
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:35 pm

I like to have them stopped! How often do we practice moving shots? Last season both bucks I shot I let out a mrrr to stop them and was able to put two great shots on them. The first buck it wasnt as critical to stop because he was walking slow and it was a 13 yard shot, the second one came in hard and I had no choice but to let out a couple of mrrr's to get him to stop. I personally just feel more comfortable with the deer standing still
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I tried to stop the biggest buck I've ever seen from the stand and he "exploded" at the bleat, so most times now I'll take the walking shot.
America works when Americans work.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Depends. When I do stop I shoot instantly on the stop and it helps.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Dor wrote:Depends. When I do stop I shoot instantly on the stop and it helps.

Definitely! You have to be pulled back and ready before you make a sound. My step dad ruined a chance at a very nice buck two seasons ago because he grunted before he pulled back. That buck was instantly able to pin point him and it was a done deal. Buck was gone!!
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 pm

it all depends, but one thing is i never mimic a deer sound to stop them, its always a soft pssst or a soft whistle sound like a bird would make. i have had deer come unglued too many times bleating or grunting to stop them. if its a open area i will take a walking shot without question.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I honestly believe it is a big mistake to try and stop a buck for a shot. I have arrowed most of my bucks while moving. I never stop them. I haven't had a deer react to the shot since the late 80s. I hear so many stories about deer ducking the arrow it's flabbergasting. Calm no wind days are a recipe for deer reacting to the shot. Quartering to shots, are also asking for trouble.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”