My Buddy's Public Land Bird

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
solocam88
500 Club

My Buddy's Public Land Bird

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:09 am

I had no part in this hunt, but I thought it was a great story and a DIY hunt. As told by my buddy...

The story starts Monday April 19th when I realized my turkey season started on Wednesday the 21st! Well to say the least I was a little unprepared. I had no camo up at school, no license, and NO where to go. Well I sat down and did what I do best....started thinking! Well I decided that I had better start looking for some birds. We went out Monday night after supper to check for some gobblers. We pretty much got skunked and didn't see anything. Wednesday morning rolls around and of course I don't have any of my stuff ready so I didn't go out. Well leave it to my tool of a roommate to go out and shoot a tom right away on Wed. morning. Well of course now I feel obligated to go out and try and shoot a bigger one. So Wed. night after I got done shooting trap my buddy Macail and I decide we should probably go out and find some birds so I can go out Thursday morning. We drove north of Stevens Point about 10 miles and saw a few hens but no nice toms. Well we drove around a little more and ended up coming across a real trophy. This was no trophy turkey though, this was a trophy black bear! About a hundred yards off of the road stands a big black bear looking at us. Well this pretty much made both of our nights and we ended up wasting our time looking at him and not finding turkeys. Thursday morning finally rolls around and I crawl out of bed at about 4 am. I slammed a few mugs of coffee and headed out the door. Macail and I end up driving around looking for birds all morning and had no luck at all. We decide to try one last place and ended up seeing a real nice tom out on a piece of public. So we parked the vehicle and the stalk started. We belly crawled through some pines and ended up setting up decoys at the edge of a corn field and a pine thicket. We had 3 birds in sight and one was a real nice shooter tom. Well all of a sudden as we are sitting there calling, a big army of jakes comes screaming across a knoll and the little potlickers scared off the tom. Well there we sit with an army of jakes and NO tom. I decided that I wanted to shoot something and that was that. So we kept calling and three of the jakes start making their way towards us. After about 30 minutes these jakes come to about 6 yds and I squeezed the trigger. needless to say, I ruined that turkeys day. Unfortunately I did not even come close to beating Jordans turkey but I did have an awesome hunt. The beast weighted in at approx. 15 lbs, had an inch and a half beard, and nubs for spurs. What a trophy!

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: My Buddy's Public Land Bird

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:11 am

GJ on the public bird! 8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Solo,

Now that is a great read/story. That is the stuff that keeps me going. We need to remember why we have hunting seasons. It is to manage the populations of game animals. Some have aspired to trophy hunting status (and I am definitely not against that), but I/we/many of us are hunters and a legal tag filled is an accomplishment.

Good job
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:04 am

Congrats to your buddy, I know the Macail he was hunting with he definitely picked the right partner that dude gets it done. Nicely done to them!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”