Craziest Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AR Hunter

Craziest Advice

Unread postby AR Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 am

I wanted to know what the craziest hunting advice you have ever received is.

I think mine was when a guy told me that if I would wear rubber boots and clean my ears and feet with rubbing alcohol, I wouldn't need to watch the wind. :roll:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Craziest Advice

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 am

My Dad always wanted me to put a radio in an open field on a talk station and hunt in the thick woods 100 yards down wind.... He thought deer were so curious they would have to come to investigate.
I have a friend who wanted to hunt a isolated 50 acre woodlot by rigging fishing string across all the main deer trails the string would run to mouse traps wired above the deer trail with a pin attached to the mouse whacker and a balloon filled with perfume ready to pop and splash the deer when it came down the trail. He figured when the first deer got splashed it would freak out and run from the smell. When it ran into the next bedding area it would spook more deer with its new smell running them into more traps, and so on till every deer in the woods is running around doing there own drive... while he hunted the main trail. Not sure if he ever did it, I wouldn't help him.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am

That mouse trap/ perfume idea beats all I've ever heard.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 am

One of the locals, out in Western WI, where we hunt, was putting up a treestand, and a buck came running while he was pounding on some wood. Now his favorite deer call is a hammer hitting the tree. He never goes in the woods without one. :lol:
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 am

This is kind of in line with the question...
Ran into an old friend that used to work with my Brother. My brother (being known for shooting big bucks) really doesn't give away too many of his secrets or strategies to too many people.
Anyway, this guy tells me that he's pretty sure he knows how my brother does it. He said he takes his dirty laundry and hangs them in strategic places in the woods and it keeps the deer out of those spots and steers them to his treestand.
I told him "Yup! That's exactly right! Can't believe you figured it out"!!!!!
Bet that guy takes a full laundry basket out with him every time he goes! :lol: :lol:
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 am

Black Squirrel wrote:One of the locals, out in Western WI, where we hunt, was putting up a treestand, and a buck came running while he was pounding on some wood. Now his favorite deer call is a hammer hitting the tree. He never goes in the woods without one. :lol:

funny part about this.. we once were hanging no tresspasing signs up and pounding nails in. It was durng the rut and a 1.5 year old buck actualy came to investigate. :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 am

PredatorTC wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:One of the locals, out in Western WI, where we hunt, was putting up a treestand, and a buck came running while he was pounding on some wood. Now his favorite deer call is a hammer hitting the tree. He never goes in the woods without one. :lol:

funny part about this.. we once were hanging no tresspasing signs up and pounding nails in. It was durng the rut and a 1.5 year old buck actualy came to investigate. :lol:

When I was a kid I had two deer come wandering in while I was pounding nails on a treestand...
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:11 am

I love the parfume idea!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 am

In the past using the old style (baker) homemade climbing tree stands....you know the kind we called widow makers, had a buck run right up to the tree. I just sat there not knowing what to do with the bow on th ground yet....he was small but back in thise days he was a shooter for me.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 am

Bump.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 am

dan wrote:My Dad always wanted me to put a radio in an open field on a talk station and hunt in the thick woods 100 yards down wind.... He thought deer were so curious they would have to come to investigate.
I have a friend who wanted to hunt a isolated 50 acre woodlot by rigging fishing string across all the main deer trails the string would run to mouse traps wired above the deer trail with a pin attached to the mouse whacker and a balloon filled with perfume ready to pop and splash the deer when it came down the trail. He figured when the first deer got splashed it would freak out and run from the smell. When it ran into the next bedding area it would spook more deer with its new smell running them into more traps, and so on till every deer in the woods is running around doing there own drive... while he hunted the main trail. Not sure if he ever did it, I wouldn't help him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Im dying over here! Is this the comedy section? Great stuff Dan!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:04 am

That settles it. This season when the rut hits I'm leaving the rattle bag home and bringing my framing hammer. :mrgreen:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:29 am

Someone told me to spray estrous all over my clothes and walk casually to my stand in the dark. Something about being a buck magnet during the rut.
Kinda scary
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Mine is purely coincidence based, but for YEARS... every time my little brother would pee someone would seee deer. I can't tell you how many times I have heard him pinch it off mid stream because a group of does came through. It got so bad that a couple of the old timers we hunted with would text him, when he wasn't even in the county, telling him to go pee so they could see something. It didn't stop working until his mid twenties.

I completely understand that it was ONLY coincidence, but it worked probably 30-40 times over 15 years.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:55 pm

I see all kinds of crazy things and crazy deer hunting advice. Grown men hosing themselves down with pixie dust. Hunting the same spot over and over again expecting different results from the last time (insanity). Breathing in air from an ozone generator in a confined space. Spending absurd amounts of money for a special brand of camo. Some even plan hunts by the moon. I could go on and on!

To outside observers everything we do is nuts :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”