Going # 2

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Going # 2

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:20 pm

I,ve found in the primary bedding areas that the bucks seem to pick a spot where they will do their thing usually around + or - 1o feet from their primary bed it seems that in the secondary areas they usually go wherever including right in the bed but primaries they will make a point to keep the bed clean.Anyone noticing this ?Image

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Going # 2

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 am

Whew, I'm glad this is about deer...

I've noticed this as well, not everytime at a primary bedding location but more than once. The secondary bedding areas may have a different buck or sometimes even a doe or fawn move in from time to time if it hasn't been used in a while, never know what you'll find there.

My best example of what you describe happened after a buck took over my ground blind spot as his primary bedding area. My approach to the spot was perfect, up a creek at the bottom of a steep cut. A bedding point jutted out into the cut, and I popped up and over the top edge of the point in the perfect downwind position. I hunted right on that edge, with my scent blowing out over the cut. There were no trees that would hold a stand here, I was forced to hunt on the ground. On the second day of Michigan's gun deer season in 2007, a 3.5 year old 8 point got up from his bed and walked in front of me at 4:15pm. This was heavy pressure public land, and I was really fired up to get him.

I returned to spot check my set up the following spring, and imagine my surprise to find my ground set up circled with big deer droppings about 8 feet out in a semi-circle. Sure enough, a new buck had moved in to take over the bedding area and selected my exact spot. The perfect approach for me to be undetected and pop into this spot was also his perfect place to bed and detect predators....
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm

That,s a pretty cool story ,thought i was mabey the only one noticing this
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 01, 2010 10:42 am

The only other time I've seen bucks go #2 right in their primary bed is when they find out Singing Bridge is hunting their woods! :mrgreen:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Image Image Image You a funny man Bridge. :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”