Introduction of a Food Plot....Good or bad?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Introduction of a Food Plot....Good or bad?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 am

I need your guys's opinion on this if you don't mind. I have a piece of ground that I hunt where two other guys hunt as well. One of them is wanting to put in a rather good sized food plot where traditionally there really hasn't been food except acorns. In the late winter, the deer typically exit the property for greener pastures so to speak.

Currently, I have the deer movement, bedding areas, transition areas all covered to a T. However, with the introduction of this new food plot I have my concerns. In your guys experience, has it affected the bedding areas you have previously found before the introduction of the food plot. I'm trying to figure out if my buck beds are gonna be different now... What you guys think?

AC Rider
500 Club

Re: Introduction of a Food Plot....Good or bad?

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 am

I think if you put in a food plot where there is already food (acorns and such) it won't change bedding.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:58 am

Anything to hold/draw deer on to a property you hunt is good imo.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 am

I've found that if the plot is a big hit w/ the deer. The does and fawns may bed a little closer to it. It may make getting in there- if you wana hunt over the plot- more tricky. Overall though it should be worth the effort. You may wana look into planting several dif. plant types that'll draw deer early-mid and late season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

I don't think it will change your buck bedding areas. Might help your situation by your partners setting up camp over the top of the food plot while your back where they bed...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 am

I hunt a small farm near home that has not had crops for 6 or 7 years... Last year we added food plots. All the deer still used the same bedding areas. Only now that there is food on the property, they use them more frequently.
Lookin 4 Pny

Unread postby Lookin 4 Pny » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Core bedding areas should not change. IF the plot is big and the primary food source travel patterns may change a bit but you will adjust fast. Best advice I can give is stay off the plot and leave it alone. A good quality food source with little to no hunting pressure can be a magnet.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

dan wrote:I don't think it will change your buck bedding areas. Might help your situation by your partners setting up camp over the top of the food plot while your back where they bed...

This is exactly what they will do. They already said that it was their area only! I said ok :)

Thanks for the input guys. I was sweatin that all my hard work would go down the drain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”