Sterting a new food plot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunt n nut
500 Club

Sterting a new food plot

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:47 am

Along with everything else we worked on this weekend, we also started grubbing out a spot for a new food plot. This spot is on a south point. There is a field in front of this plot and bedding on the end of the point and on the side of this ridge.

Its fun starting a project like this. As you can see there were some big stumps here :shock: I couldn't help but think when we were working out here, how many anti-hunters were outdoors this weekend spending a ton of money, working their butts off to "help" the animals? Anyway, can't wait to see how this turns out. We are going to try get a dozer next weekend, and finish grubbing this plot out.

hunt n nut
500 Club

Re: Sterting a new food plot

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 am

Sterting? What the heck does that mean???...meant Starting (like the beginning) not, sterting (like to stert something) :roll:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 am

lookin good you've really got access to the equipment. We're doing some smaller woods plots stErting ( :D )next weekend but using mostly hand tools, chainsaws, a brushcutters. Hoping for the chemicals to take care of new growth weeds and grass after the brush is cleared and just going to be working around the stumps for now!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:lookin good you've really got access to the equipment.

Yeah, I am lucky to have a good friend to be able to operate the equipment, so I just had to pay for the machine.

BackWoodsHunter wrote: We're doing some smaller woods plots stErting ( :D )next weekend but using mostly hand tools, chainsaws, a brushcutters. Hoping for the chemicals to take care of new growth weeds and grass after the brush is cleared and just going to be working around the stumps for now!

If your willing to put in the work, I'm sure it will turn out for you. Good luck with your project and keep us posted ;)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 am

Well last week we had the backhoe out on the land and started grubbing out for the food plot. This week I rented a dozer, my buddy Jon operated it, and he did an awesome job again! First we finished up the cabin/ camper landing and headed up the ridge, boy those hills in Vernon county are steep. I think Jon will vouch for that :shock:

Then we started cleaning up the plot. This hour glass shaped plot is on the south side of the property. It cleaned up really nice, next step is gonna be to get a tractor in there and start tilling it up. It sure is fun building your field of dreams :D

AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:02 am

It all looks great nut ;)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 am

looking great nut! and yeah, i'll vouch for the steep hills(bluffs) in vernon also!!! dragging deer up em can be quite the workout,but always well worth it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:27 am

8-)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 pm

tim wrote:looking great nut! and yeah, i'll vouch for the steep hills(bluffs) in vernon also!!! dragging deer up em can be quite the workout,but always well worth it.

If I remember correctly, you got to drag some nice bucks around those bluffs ;)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 am

yeah, ive dragged a few. im sure hoping to get some dragging in this year. also hoping to get to see what you are dragging up your bluffs!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Looking good!!!!!
If you play your cards right, you could drag them downhill!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:12 am

Looking GOOD Brian!!!! I love working my land and making plots. Kinda gets under a guys skin. ;) What is going to be the main course on those plots?
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sat May 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Treejunkie wrote: Kinda gets under a guys skin. ;) What is going to be the main course on those plots?

You got that right ;) , For this year we're gonna try soy beans, being a new plot we are hoping to do some weed control with round up-ready. I saw your thread on the biomaxx, thats too bad.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue May 25, 2010 7:02 am

Well, this past weekend we went down and worked on the food plot. We actually got the "log cabin" skidded down there, did some compacting in the water (dirt) holes, they're not doing so good...yet, so we actually got a lot of work done.

Here are some pics.

My buddy Jon and myself spreading lime and fertilizer

My son, Brandon, dragging the spike drag

The end result

It was a great weekend. We got a lot of work done and it seemed to make the beer go down good, sittin' around the camp fire and talkin' huntin' around the new fire pit at the new camp site :D

We planted round-up ready soy beans. Hopefully they work out good. There are a lot of roots and a fair share of rocks that were picked (and a lot yet to pick). Its a work in progress thats for sure! Now, we could sure use some rain ;)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 25, 2010 7:08 am

Looks awsome! Pray for rain now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”