Wet years vs dry years.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Rav

Wet years vs dry years.

Unread postby The Rav » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm curious to see what your opinions and experiences are between wet years and dry years for bowhunting. During a dry season when available water sources have dwindled away, do you believe that would get the bucks up and moving for water more during daylight hours? Or would you tend to believe that they would water themselves up real good with an available water source before returning to their bed for the day? And being that water would be more scarce that would tend to make them bed in a different location as opposed to a wet year when water would be much more available to them. What is the difference in your tactics between wet years and dry years?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Wet years vs dry years.

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:25 am

In wet springs, deer grow bigger racks. As far as hunting goes, I have numerous spots where deer move towards water on dry years. I think they will travel early to seek out water. When a deer is rutting, he definately needs to find water. Their tongues hang out while chasing on wet years, and when it's dry it's even worse for them.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Wet years vs dry years.

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 am

Wet years certainly make it more difficult for me to reach some of my stands in the swamps. Dry years- I have several stand sites just off of a buck's bedding area where he goes to water... I also use the water source to spot check if the buck is in his big woods bed, by monitoring his tracks. If its a dry year, these stand sights at water give me more confidence in the early season or rut than wet years do for daytime movement of the buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”