Need opinion: Muck Boot vs Alpha burly

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bucky

Re: Need opinion: Muck Boot vs Alpha burly

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:10 am

Mucks for me... more comfortable

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:09 am

wmihunter wrote:what about ground scent? does neoprene tend to hold more scent than rubber?? that is my deciding factor? i need some advice. I too am decidgin between fieldblazer muck boots and one of the alpha lacrosse boots. advice please

I wear pants over my mucks. Not tucked in....so neoprene tops are irrelevant. The key is to not leave scent across trails if possible...In other words dont cross trails.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:08 am

Mucks are comfortable and warm, but in the hunting I do, they shred pretty easily. That being said, I rarely get two seasons out of them. They don't stand up to knarly brush, beaver cutoffs, and north american rose. That's where the bucks live. They're great for open bottom ground, hardwoods, prarie, grass, cat tails...I still use them, but I plan on a new pair every year.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:51 am

Spysar wrote:Mucks are comfortable and warm, but in the hunting I do, they shred pretty easily. That being said, I rarely get two seasons out of them. They don't stand up to knarly brush, beaver cutoffs, and north american rose. That's where the bucks live. They're great for open bottom ground, hardwoods, prarie, grass, cat tails...I still use them, but I plan on a new pair every year.

Exactly!!.....I have a pair of Muck and a pair of Alpha's and it's pretty much the same story for both. They will get tore up and eventually leak if you hunt rough areas.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:52 am

Yet another reason for pants out of boot.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:54 pm

iv never had muck boots but iv had alpha burly..i loved my alpha burly boots but i have had great things about the muck boots..im personal preference is the Cabelas brand Dura-trax..those are the best rubber boots iv owned
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 pm

The neoprene mucks are more comfortable, but for the marsh Alpha burly hands down. I hate it when your foot pulls out of the boot in the muck, Alpha's will stay on in the muck. Alphas are taller and cinch on the top so if you do go over the boot won't get to wet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:26 pm

mike_mc wrote:The neoprene mucks are more comfortable, but for the marsh Alpha burly hands down. I hate it when your foot pulls out of the boot in the muck, Alpha's will stay on in the muck. Alphas are taller and cinch on the top so if you do go over the boot won't get to wet.

Good point! I noticed the same thing with Muck boots pulling off in the "muck". Almost lost one when my foot pulled out earlier this year. :o The ankle fit on the Alpha's is much tighter.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:33 am

I can't comment on the Muck boots but I have been very happy with my Alpha's for maybe 4-5 years now.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:52 pm

headgear wrote:I can't comment on the Muck boots but I have been very happy with my Alpha's for maybe 4-5 years now.

X2
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 pm

No contest...Mucks!!!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 am

I have used alpha burly for the past few years. My only complaint is that I have ripped holes in the sides of them very easily. I wore my last pair three times hunting and ripped a hole in them somehow :? . I took them to cabelas and they replaced them no questions asked.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 am

Boot is a boot. Try them on, comfort and durability should be your only concern. If price is important take that into consideration as well. Scent-free will only come into play if you haven't done your scouting, walk on or cross deer trails, or don't play the wind. If you do any of the previous then you might as well stick to sneakers cause it ain't gonna matter much anyways.

I've had luck with both the Cabela's brand and Lacrosse because of durability which is my main concern over comfort.

Just my $.02
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 am

Boot is a boot.

I disagree with that statement. I went to Gander Mountain with Carol to get muck boots and saw a heavy duty set of rubber boots that looked durable. They only lasted a couple hunts and both boots were cracked.. I feel sorry for anyone tricked into buying those. Product reviews like this boot review are great cause people can learn from the experiences of others and avoid buying something that appears good but aint.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I have some friends who like the Muck boots but as others have stated I have seen them come off in the "muck" while mine stay on. I purchased my daughter the Alpha Burly's for her first bow season this year. I have the Alpha SST boots which are actually more money than the Burly's but I think I would get the Burly next time even though I love my SST's. Opening day she and I had to cross about 50 yards of deep water. The SST does not go up as high as the Burly's and as a result I had wet feet for the hunt and her's were dry as the extra couple inches was all the difference in water going over the top.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”