River Bottom vs Hill Country Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

River Bottom vs Hill Country Bedding

Unread postby Trout » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Last night I was scouting a new area. I was there for the wetland cedar/pine swamp along a river valley. It's a river here, but most places would call it a creek. It's a trout stream. Its roughly 10 to 15' wide and flanked on both sides by cedar/pine swamp. The river bottom is roughly a quarter mile wide. The pine/cedar swampnis flanked on both sides by a giant ridge which is full of white pine and oaks.

The best sign was on the transition at the bottom of the ridge. But I know hunting bottoms can be extremely difficult due to finicky wind currents. That said, the water and the densest cover, and lowest hunting pressure in the area is in that bottom.

I'm really struggling with how I can successfully manage where my scent goes in the bottom? Get close to the trout stream and let the cool water pull my scent into the river corridor? Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas. Here is pic of one if the rubs I found on the transition for further explanation of why I need to figure this spot out I dont even know if the buck that made this is still alive, but I have to find out.

20200401_181718.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: River Bottom vs Hill Country Bedding

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:19 am

The river can help with access but ultimately you want a stiff wind to keep your scent consistently moving the direction you want it to. Otherwise you’re living on a prayer. You said most sign is at the transition at the base of the ridge which to me sounds like a buck laying down rut sign as he’s catching falling thermals. Did you find probable bedding for the culprit? Just off assumption, I would think he is bedding in the swamps?
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:53 am

We have been hunting a similar scenario as you minus the cedar swamp in SE minnesota the last few years. We hunt down there during the rut and mainly during shotgun season, success of seeing cruising bucks and mature ones at that has increased dramatically. We focus on creek crossings, or along a trail coming from one and we sit up on the ridge maybe 50-70 yds and look down. 2 years ago I blew a shot at a nice 3.5 10, and my dad shot a 3.5 11 last year cruising the bottom opening day of gun here aprox 9:45am. We have witnessed cruising down in multiple bottoms at all times of the day where they are jumping from ridge to ridge. They do bird dog the tall grass, brush and blowdowns along the creek though so that tells me does are bedding down there as well at some point. however we believe the buck my dad shot was bedding down there also. When gutted him I pulled two big handfuls of burrs from around his tail. The bottoms are the only place around where you can come across that many so he had to have been bedding down there though I cant confirm and this was before lockdown. I say all that to say its worth the gamble, plus like you, we don't see much pressure down there. Access is from the top and most people don't want to go all the way down, and they certainly don't want to try to get a big buck out. The wind can be sketchy and thats why we try to wait until gun because there is a little more forgiveness. We sit on the leeward hills so the thermals generally pull back up the hill away from the bottom, but that is not always the case and i have confirmed w milkweed. The other part is you can get away w a little more w rutting bucks. However with limited scouting/hunting time I'm looking for a decent 2.5/3.5 plus. We are not solely focusing on true mature bucks, you may be and that also changes things as they are a completely different animal. We are going to hang some cameras low this summer and see what intel we can get.We are also going to try and bow hunt these bottoms earlier in the pre rut just so we can learn and give it a shot. Like you, the sign is incredible and I know there is a good possibility this is night sign, but we have witnessed enough daytime movement to try and see if it pays off. Its a new and evolving tactic for us, and in my opinion is worth a shot. I know I didn't directly answer your questions much about wind but just wanted to share our experience the last few seasons. The other thing I plan to do is go down there soon and play w milk weed to learn more. Good luck!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 am

BigRed wrote:We have been hunting a similar scenario as you minus the cedar swamp in SE minnesota the last few years. We hunt down there during the rut and mainly during shotgun season, success of seeing cruising bucks and mature ones at that has increased dramatically. We focus on creek crossings, or along a trail coming from one and we sit up on the ridge maybe 50-70 yds and look down. 2 years ago I blew a shot at a nice 3.5 10, and my dad shot a 3.5 11 last year cruising the bottom opening day of gun here aprox 9:45am. We have witnessed cruising down in multiple bottoms at all times of the day where they are jumping from ridge to ridge. They do bird dog the tall grass, brush and blowdowns along the creek though so that tells me does are bedding down there as well at some point. however we believe the buck my dad shot was bedding down there also. When gutted him I pulled two big handfuls of burrs from around his tail. The bottoms are the only place around where you can come across that many so he had to have been bedding down there though I cant confirm and this was before lockdown. I say all that to say its worth the gamble, plus like you, we don't see much pressure down there. Access is from the top and most people don't want to go all the way down, and they certainly don't want to try to get a big buck out. The wind can be sketchy and thats why we try to wait until gun because there is a little more forgiveness. We sit on the leeward hills so the thermals generally pull back up the hill away from the bottom, but that is not always the case and i have confirmed w milkweed. The other part is you can get away w a little more w rutting bucks. However with limited scouting/hunting time I'm looking for a decent 2.5/3.5 plus. We are not solely focusing on true mature bucks, you may be and that also changes things as they are a completely different animal. We are going to hang some cameras low this summer and see what intel we can get.We are also going to try and bow hunt these bottoms earlier in the pre rut just so we can learn and give it a shot. Like you, the sign is incredible and I know there is a good possibility this is night sign, but we have witnessed enough daytime movement to try and see if it pays off. Its a new and evolving tactic for us, and in my opinion is worth a shot. I know I didn't directly answer your questions much about wind but just wanted to share our experience the last few seasons. The other thing I plan to do is go down there soon and play w milk weed to learn more. Good luck!

Thank you. I've been doing some homework and The concept to hunt the bottom when wind direction is parallel with the valley seems to have brought people success, particularly when you have some features down there like a knob or spur that deer are using to travel between the top and bottom, and setting up downwind of it.

I also think I might be able to set up on the leeward side of the swamp and get away with it if I have a riding thermal for a buck cruising that transition. Or I could get winded :lol:
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:The river can help with access but ultimately you want a stiff wind to keep your scent consistently moving the direction you want it to. Otherwise you’re living on a prayer. You said most sign is at the transition at the base of the ridge which to me sounds like a buck laying down rut sign as he’s catching falling thermals. Did you find probable bedding for the culprit? Just off assumption, I would think he is bedding in the swamps?

Thank you, what makes you think it is rut sign on a falling thermal? Not second guessing you, just trying to learn.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Trout wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:The river can help with access but ultimately you want a stiff wind to keep your scent consistently moving the direction you want it to. Otherwise you’re living on a prayer. You said most sign is at the transition at the base of the ridge which to me sounds like a buck laying down rut sign as he’s catching falling thermals. Did you find probable bedding for the culprit? Just off assumption, I would think he is bedding in the swamps?

Thank you, what makes you think it is rut sign on a falling thermal? Not second guessing you, just trying to learn.

It’s flat in riverbottom, therefore winds/thermals are very finicky. Falling thermals at the ridge bottom are the most consistent thing and being at the transition makes sense for a big buck cruising it at night. Probably cruising perpendicular to doe trails coming off the ridge. Did you conclude where buck and doe bedding was?
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Beautiful picture! Sounds like an incredible location. Following this thread as I have similar spots and the same questions. I like the tip to watch for winds that parallel the valley.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:32 pm

funderburk wrote:Beautiful picture! Sounds like an incredible location. Following this thread as I have similar spots and the same questions. I like the tip to watch for winds that parallel the valley.

I picked that up from the DIY Sportsman podcast, listened to the most recent episode on my way out to scout on Sunday, with Jared Shaffer.

On the Hunting Beast Podcast episode #7 with JoeRE, at the 57 minute mark, Joe talks about having to hunt deer low when they go low to escape higher hunting pressure on the ridges. He says he is finding them bedded on low elevation benches.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:06 am

Trout wrote:
funderburk wrote:Beautiful picture! Sounds like an incredible location. Following this thread as I have similar spots and the same questions. I like the tip to watch for winds that parallel the valley.

I picked that up from the DIY Sportsman podcast, listened to the most recent episode on my way out to scout on Sunday, with Jared Shaffer.

On the Hunting Beast Podcast episode #7 with JoeRE, at the 57 minute mark, Joe talks about having to hunt deer low when they go low to escape higher hunting pressure on the ridges. He says he is finding them bedded on low elevation benches.

I would agree.
I see this a lot when i hunt public Se Mn. The classic ridge points just get way too much pressure, but so do the bottoms. It's all about the easy walking... meaning take a 3 mile hike through the hills like everyone else does... now take a 3 mile hike when your side hilling it the whole way, its a royal PIA. but you'll find some good buck beds i'll gaurantee.
Only thing i disagree with is they usually are still bedding closer to the top than the bottom IMO.
Trout, that buck may be bedding along that creek but I would not discount the idea he is hanging on one of the nearby side hills watching that same transition line.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:
Trout wrote:

It’s flat in riverbottom, therefore winds/thermals are very finicky. Falling thermals at the ridge bottom are the most consistent thing and being at the transition makes sense for a big buck cruising it at night. Probably cruising perpendicular to doe trails coming off the ridge. Did you conclude where buck and doe bedding was?

No doubt there is likely bucks cruising at night, however we have witnessed a lot of cruising in these bottoms of SE MN at all times of the day, most being in that 9/10am to 2pm range when thermals are rising the last couple years when we started focusing on hunting lower during the rut. The winds can be iffy and i cant help but wonder how many bucks we have not seen that were around due to sketchy winds. Pressure is almost non existent down low for us if there are no trails, and we have also had the benefit of pressure from up high running deer, especially does down to us. In my opinion its worth the risk of getting winded at least once maybe twice. Id rather strike out swinging than looking.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri May 06, 2022 5:44 am

Trout wrote:Last night I was scouting a new area. I was there for the wetland cedar/pine swamp along a river valley. It's a river here, but most places would call it a creek. It's a trout stream. Its roughly 10 to 15' wide and flanked on both sides by cedar/pine swamp. The river bottom is roughly a quarter mile wide. The pine/cedar swampnis flanked on both sides by a giant ridge which is full of white pine and oaks.

The best sign was on the transition at the bottom of the ridge. But I know hunting bottoms can be extremely difficult due to finicky wind currents. That said, the water and the densest cover, and lowest hunting pressure in the area is in that bottom.

I'm really struggling with how I can successfully manage where my scent goes in the bottom? Get close to the trout stream and let the cool water pull my scent into the river corridor? Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas. Here is pic of one if the rubs I found on the transition for further explanation of why I need to figure this spot out I don't even know if the buck that made this is still alive, but I have to find out.

20200401_181718.jpg

I have been curious about this as well. Trout streams are obviously always at the lowest elevation in hill country but trout streams are also unique when compared to other water sources as the water temp is usually cooler than the air most of the bow season. I always felt you could get a predictable thermal pull near a trout stream by setting up in a way that lets your scent travel downstream. I am going to be more purposeful about testing this theory out when in the field but does anyone have experience with this?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri May 06, 2022 8:27 am

Do you guys have elk up there? Just curious bc that looks very tall, except it also goes low.

As far as your spot, you need to go in on the right wind or the opposite wind and check it with milkweed. Then youll know exactly what to do. A quarter mile wide bottom is more than enough for me to hunt it, I hunt alot of tight quarter bottoms.

My general approach to hunting the lower elevations is to see if the wind flows w the bottoms or if the wind hits the opposing ridge and goes back up to the beds. Example - N Wind = E or W in the bottoms. I see that alot or the wind flows over the top of the ridge, hits the opposing ridge and swirls back up to the buck. Sometimes the proper wind may be slightly off to get it to slow w the bottoms. These examples are really pushing the limits though. I like to find a spot where there is some type of obstacle so they wont cross my wind.

With there being a stream or river, you should have really good luck w it taking your scent away (if youre close to it). No matter what wind I have - examples like that or powerlines will take the scent like its a tunnel. You will just have to figure out if low winds are the key or higher winds.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri May 06, 2022 8:28 am

Trout wrote:On the Hunting Beast Podcast episode #7 with JoeRE, at the 57 minute mark, Joe talks about having to hunt deer low when they go low to escape higher hunting pressure on the ridges. He says he is finding them bedded on low elevation benches.

Yes that happens and also they may be down there during early season bc its cooler.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri May 06, 2022 11:12 am

Can you use the stream “river” as your access? Pop up out of the water, hunt a crossing and the parallel trail? I cross a river and hunt the parallel movement. When thermals kick in and cause swirling I leave. Do the opposite in evenings. I will say, it’s a short distance for me to access this spot but it’s not easy and if the river is up it’s a no go. I also only hunt it with the wind pushing back toward the river for slightly longer hunts.
Shoot Straight
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat May 07, 2022 5:05 am

<DK> wrote:Do you guys have elk up there? Just curious bc that looks very tall, except it also goes low.

Yes, we do, that particular spot is on the fringe of the elk range. I didn't think that was an elk rub, but low elk rubs can be really tricky to tell apart from tall whitetail rubs. One of the things I look for to tell the two apart is broken branches above the rub, and how high up those broken branches go. When they are way up, say over 5 or 6', I typically figure they're from elk and ignore them. The rub in that pic had broken branches above it, bit they were only like 3 or 4' up if I remember right. Any elk would have busted those up rubbing the tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”