Do you need a license for shooting a coyote ?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Do you need a license for shooting a coyote ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 am

Does anybody remember how the rules state for shooting a coyote...... I thought the last I heard is, you need some sort of license, small game, deer or something.... I don't think you can shoot one if you don't have some sort of license...... correct ?

By the way.... I'm talking Wisconsin..

Brad

Re: Do you need a license for shooting a coyote ?

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:01 am

I believe you have to have a small game license to shoot one with a gun, and it always used to be you could hunt them with a bow if you have a deer archery license. Not sure if you have a deer gun tag if that works. The book is hard to figure out anymore!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:11 am

Here in Michigan you are allowed to shoot them without a license as long as your not actually hunting for them. If your using a call and trying to hunt them then you have to have one. Other wise dnr wants you to shoot them.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:17 am

On your own private land you don't need a license. Otherwise I believe if you have bought some sort of license you can shoot them. The example above of having a bow deer license and one walks by you may stick him. Gun deer you can shoot them during gun season south of HWY 10 I believe. They don't want us guys up north to accidentally shoot wolves. If you are specifically hunting yotes you need a small game license. That is my interpretation of the regulations.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:On your own private land you don't need a license. Otherwise I believe if you have bought some sort of license you can shoot them. The example above of having a bow deer license and one walks by you may stick him. Gun deer you can shoot them during gun season south of HWY 10 I believe. They don't want us guys up north to accidentally shoot wolves. If you are specifically hunting yotes you need a small game license. That is my interpretation of the regulations.

Ok, that makes sense......... I was just curious more than anything...
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:59 am

Dan just told Dan Jr to get a small game license to come here and shoot coyote for me.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:19 am

Carol....
Has ratslayer had any luck yet getting a bear ?
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:41 am

he has seen 2 smaller bears, and yesterday saw a sow with her 3 cubs.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:52 am

sweet my buddies younger brother got a 200pounder last night on film too. Hopefully slayer scores. Good luck on the yotes dreaming bucks.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:51 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:sweet my buddies younger brother got a 200pounder last night on film too. Hopefully slayer scores. Good luck on the yotes dreaming bucks.

Thanks....... I saw one last year, about 40 yards away, I was hoping he was going to keep coming my way, but he turned and went out towards the cornfield, I suppose looking for mice or whatever.... maybe this year ! I was always wondering though if I could shoot one with an archery tag... I thought you could, but just wasn't positive about it....

I also jumped one this last spring while looking for sheds..... of course, no gun with me. :roll:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:04 am

That's the way it goes. While glassing for deer I've had two unsuspecting yotes wander into gun range totally unaware I was there but no gun of course. Last yr during gun season I had two come right under my stand thanksgiving morning before legal shooting hours for deer. I was hunting a buddies farm and it was my only day to hunt there with him so I passed hoping not to spook deer. In hindsight I wish I would have dusted one or both of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”