Bucks on the mind.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Bucks on the mind.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am

Went through my wreck of a hunting closet and found 2 big tubs full of hunting jackets that I bought years ago when gander mountain went out of business.

One things for sure I don’t think ill ever need to buy another jacket or pullover have I think 11 of them most are lightweight that I bought on 80 -90 percent off. Sadly they are in realtree pattern.

Found a scent lokt jacket from many moons ago.

Found 3 headlamps in my journey.

Filled up a trash bag of throw away stuff.

Anyone else have a abyss of old hunting stuff?
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:06 am

deerbrain.jpg.0c09c873179c24b10d42bc41b7cc8abd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:22 am

dannyboy wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:Heck yeah I'm feeling it! I'm realizing the hardest part of getting super prepared for deer season is waiting for it to actually get here. I haven't dove deep into the world of trail cams yet (I've only ever owned one) but I'm buying one off a buddy of mine so I'll have atleast two to put out. Clothes is a good idea, I could use some new pants. Got new boots so I'm good there, and I picked up some really nice rain gear on clearance during the winter, so that will be nice on those cold rainy days. Can we just skip July and August?

I hear ya! I think I have more hunting clothes than street clothes. It's crazy

Now that I know the importance of having cool camo is non existent, I am gonna start keeping my eye open at resale shops for old cheap camo stuff or neutral color items that will be good for bowhunting .
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:14 am

Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:Heck yeah I'm feeling it! I'm realizing the hardest part of getting super prepared for deer season is waiting for it to actually get here. I haven't dove deep into the world of trail cams yet (I've only ever owned one) but I'm buying one off a buddy of mine so I'll have atleast two to put out. Clothes is a good idea, I could use some new pants. Got new boots so I'm good there, and I picked up some really nice rain gear on clearance during the winter, so that will be nice on those cold rainy days. Can we just skip July and August?

Now that I know the importance of having cool camo is non existent, I am gonna start keeping my eye open at resale shops for old cheap camo stuff or neutral color items that will be good for bowhunting .

I wouldn't say camo makes no difference.
Anything 3d with hard lines like many of the big companies use or one solid piece is more likely to get the hunter busted.

I do agree that how much people spend doesn't matter.
People definitely don't need sitka to kill a deer.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:30 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Anything 3d with hard lines like many of the big companies use or one solid piece is more likely to get the hunter busted.

I agree. What I meant by "cool camo" is the neat looking very expensive camo clothing that is out there. Before I found the beast and heard what some had to say about it and watched Dan's YouTube video on the subject I was pretty convinced that it was important to be decked out head to toe in the latest greatest camo pattern. I guess I would say I put too much stock into it early on.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:45 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I'm thinking about it in back of my mind now. But, got get through some 100 degree days and 1000 % humidity first. Lol.

The last few crisp cool mornings and evenings when heat leaves though gets a guy fired up....
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:46 am

Hookslinger wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I agree. What I meant by "cool camo" is the neat looking very expensive camo clothing that is out there. Before I found the beast and heard what some had to say about it and watched Dan's YouTube video on the subject I was pretty convinced that it was important to be decked out head to toe in the latest greatest camo pattern. I guess I would say I put too much stock into it early on.

I don't think sitka or first lite is bought for their patterns. I'm not a fan of sitkas pattern it is too white for my areas. I think kings ,natural gear, asat or predator are better patterns. Most of these camos budget options are a good choice on sale.

In all truth Asat probably makes the best camo pattern for game in the world. Even though it isn't pretty to the human eye.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:01 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I’m starting to really think the old army fatigue camo might have been the best all around camo all along. Fairly open pattern and decent colors.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:31 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I don't think sitka or first lite is bought for their patterns. I'm not a fan of sitkas pattern it is too white for my areas. I think kings ,natural gear, asat or predator are better patterns. Most of these camos budget options are a good choice on sale.

In all truth Asat probably makes the best camo pattern for game in the world. Even though it isn't pretty to the human eye.

I have checked out asat stuff but man that is still expensive. Honestly I have a scentlok jumpsuit that I bought years ago that I still keep because it retains heat well and feels like I'm wearing pajamas its so comfortable. Seems like as long as your wearing neutral earth tones and break up the pattern your good to go. Especially if your up in a tree. I'm sure with different terrain and certain hunting tactics the type of camo might play a bigger role.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:59 am

Spent last night assembling my beast sticks. Going to spend tomorrow night assembling my hunting arrows. Bow is tuned out to 60 yards with broad heads. I have a new rifle I need to zero but other than that I’m ready to go.

I’ve spent every day for MONTHS looking at onX maps. Yeah, you could say I’ve got bucks on the mind. I think my wife is just as anxious for it to kick off…at least if I’m out in the woods she doesn’t have to hear me talk about hunting.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:07 am

I'm starting to get the itch as well. Just started going through my stuff and figuring out what I need and what upgrades I'm going to do. Working on getting my bike ready as well, setting up the bow holder and rigging up some lights for it.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:17 am

I was going get me a new bow this year. But, crawfished on that thought. Going get some new gloves. Maybe another pack of broadheads. Got to put out one more camera this year. Do that in about a month. Then sit and wait.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:23 am

Wlog wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I’m starting to really think the old army fatigue camo might have been the best all around camo all along. Fairly open pattern and decent colors.

Let's just put it this way. If I buy some cool camo it will probably be smoke from Uncle Lou 8-)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:39 am

I've been Stealth stripping my stand and been testing cameras to be deployed. Haven't done any scouting yet.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:52 am

I got multiple texts from a local guy that was tromping around the woods in the high heat today....WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”