To jump in and fix the camera or stay out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MoonBuck

To jump in and fix the camera or stay out?

Unread postby MoonBuck » Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 am

So I'm running five cellular cameras this year on public. They were all working great up until this weekend when 3 of them crapped out for some reason. My question to you guys is do I go back in and fix the cameras or let them be? We are at the end of May with the WI season opening Sept. 12th. I'm including a photo of one of the better looking bucks, based on his current growth, from one of the cameras. I realize we are still 3.5 months out but am still hesitant about mucking up the areas. I based all of them on big buck sign and it's proximity to bedding, so am confident in their overall ability to produce big bucks. Is the extra intel from the cameras worth going back in at this point? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: To jump in and fix the camera or stay out?

Unread postby Rich M » Tue May 25, 2021 5:03 am

I'd swap em out - pick your day and time - windy, real dry or rainy - and choose your access route. Maybe you can put cams in better spots?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 am

Not gonna hurt anything this time of the year. Most guys don’t even think about putting cams out till July. No sense in having cell cams out there collecting no intel whatsoever. Being on public it’s highly doubtful you’ll be the only human interaction those deer will have before the season starts this fall anyway. You would be surprised how quickly they recover. If you were talking about going in later in August I would no doubt then highly recommend staying out.
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Tue May 25, 2021 5:54 am

Your camera most likely simply needs an update. If you contact SPYPOINT they can update them remotely. Check your camera status, the firmware version should be V1.18.13
If it’s not just call them and they will update the cameras remotely and you’ll be back in business.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue May 25, 2021 6:57 am

This early in the year I think I’d fix them. They’re a different deer right now and aren’t quite as hyper sensitive to pressure. Plus there’s plenty of time for them to settle back down.
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:40 am

I wouldn’t even start stressing until august always a good idea to watch rubbing to much human scent on the camera so they don’t adjust too much.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue May 25, 2021 10:52 am

Sounds like your getting great advice. If you wanna do anything in the woods without ruining bedding I would think you would be fine up till July, August in low pressure areas. But for me personally I wanna be done in July.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue May 25, 2021 1:25 pm

I don't see a problem with it. But, I would be thinking twice when August gets here.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Fix them
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed May 26, 2021 12:58 am

If all three crapped out for the same reason at the same time, I'd be looking at my account, servicing, a firmware update, etc. first.

Anytime a client comes to me as says more than one of the same cell cam goes down at the same time....it's usually not the CAM itself and that should help pinpoint the problem.

I'd fix it no problem at this time of year.

I only run a few cells in Spring and early summer for turkey and for testing purposes, not really intel. I like to get min out in late July - August (our opener is Oct 1.)
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed May 26, 2021 5:39 am

Go for it. You aren't hurting anything right now. I'm sure those deer are getting spooked by turkey hunters every few days anyways.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 am

I’m going to have to go in very soon to fix one of mine. It was good until a nearby sapling grew leaves and started waving around in the wind. Lots of leaf pictures when it’s windy. :roll:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed May 26, 2021 8:14 am

greenhorndave wrote:I’m going to have to go in very soon to fix one of mine. It was good until a nearby sapling grew leaves and started waving around in the wind. Lots of leaf pictures when it’s windy. :roll:

Same boat, just a few 4’ high heads of grass for me.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:19 am

Fix it. At night. In the rain. Wearing a headlamp.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed May 26, 2021 1:52 pm

Long time until season, I’d go in, use weather to your advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”