Scouting steep hill terrain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Re: Scouting steep hill terrain

Unread postby Moose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:58 am

Great video and perfect timing. I just scouted some hills this morning and just got done watching your hill bedding video. Unfortunately there wasnt much buck sign on my public either. Thanks for all the videos.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am

Man that was a great video! Nice Dan

First off - which one of you is it? That trail cam was set high, gotta be someone on here lol

I was very surprised by how much good sign there was w that much pressure surrounding the area. Great rubs. Good beds too. I wouldn't write that off completely. With that much pressure there must be some real good bucks that come through. I'd hunt it early season bc its tough and nasty. Im definitely feeling a pre rut, weekday/bad weather, AM hunt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:04 pm

<DK> wrote:Man that was a great video! Nice Dan

First off - which one of you is it? That trail cam was set high, gotta be someone on here lol

I was very surprised by how much good sign there was w that much pressure surrounding the area. Great rubs. Good beds too. I wouldn't write that off completely. With that much pressure there must be some real good bucks that come through. I'd hunt it early season bc its tough and nasty. Im definitely feeling a pre rut, weekday/bad weather, AM hunt.

I said the same thing to Rick... High camera, that guys gonna see this video. LOL.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Great video guys! Thanks again! Question Dan, when you post season scout and come across rut based sign from what appears to be a mature buck, do you rescout the area again in late summer for early season?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 pm

MichiganMike wrote:Great video guys! Thanks again! Question Dan, when you post season scout and come across rut based sign from what appears to be a mature buck, do you rescout the area again in late summer for early season?

no... if I go there again it will be to hunt. I may spot check for sign before hunting, but wont walk where I cant shoot to.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 pm

dan wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Great video guys! Thanks again! Question Dan, when you post season scout and come across rut based sign from what appears to be a mature buck, do you rescout the area again in late summer for early season?

no... if I go there again it will be to hunt. I may spot check for sign before hunting, but wont walk where I cant shoot to.

I think this is what kills most hunters, including myself.
Discipline is critical.
Last year I was better at just staying out until I went to hunt, it’s hard because we want that reassurance of physically laying eyes on buck sign. Discipline and confidence in your scouting intel are crucial.
Ryan
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Good video. I saw in the comments someone thinks they saw a shed at 8:56. I see what they are talking about but it looks pretty big to be a shed. Is it a shed?
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 am

brancher147 wrote:Good video. I saw in the comments someone thinks they saw a shed at 8:56. I see what they are talking about but it looks pretty big to be a shed. Is it a shed?

I think its a stick
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:46 am

Another terrific video :clap: :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:07 am

8-)
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:33 am

dan wrote:

Makes sense. So is it safe to say that you save these spots for pre rut/rut then? Or would you throw a sit there early season also? Im just asking because its been tough getting on good bucks early season for me lately. Seems like their bedding by ag early season (which is all private), and nowhere near where I post season scouted their rut locations.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 am

MichiganMike wrote:
dan wrote:

Makes sense. So is it safe to say that you save these spots for pre rut/rut then? Or would you throw a sit there early season also? Im just asking because its been tough getting on good bucks early season for me lately. Seems like their bedding by ag early season (which is all private), and nowhere near where I post season scouted their rut locations.

I hunt stuff I believe Was bedded early season, during early season, and rut stuff is hunted during rut. If im unsure I hunt it early, rut, and late...
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:23 am

dan wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
dan wrote:

I hunt stuff I believe Was bedded early season, during early season, and rut stuff is hunted during rut. If im unsure I hunt it early, rut, and late...

sounds like a solid plan to me! Thanks for the info and answering those questions
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:58 am

Great episode showing us all what or what not you’re looking for when it comes to beds and rubs. I especially liked how you linked available evidence (tree stands, game camera, & box blind) to how much actual fresh sign existed. Two thumbs up! :clap:
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”