Any Nonresident who hunts Iowa

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike32
500 Club

Re: Any Nonresident who hunts Iowa

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:14 am

^^^ haha thanks Dewey :lol:

Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:52 am

dan wrote:Iowa... where they give rich non resident hunters free governor tags

Kind of sad if you think about it.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:13 am

I'm glad I have four points now. I should be able to draw this year before any crazy changes. At least I'll be able to hunt Iowa once in my lifetime LOL.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:34 am

Another state is proposing this also, I think it’s Montana or Idaho. Seems like the hunting public guys have started a movement and now the industry is pushing back. They see less and less people are paying for guides and they need legislation to save their business. I don’t know all the ends and outs but that is what it feel like.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:19 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:I'm glad I have four points now. I should be able to draw this year before any crazy changes. At least I'll be able to hunt Iowa once in my lifetime LOL.

I am also at 4 and thinking the same. Before I started doing Iowa points I should have researched other states that were just as good and more affordable. No doubt Iowa is the land of giants but as of now it seems like the money isn't worth it to me.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:28 am

Tim H wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:I'm glad I have four points now. I should be able to draw this year before any crazy changes. At least I'll be able to hunt Iowa once in my lifetime LOL.

I am also at 4 and thinking the same. Before I started doing Iowa points I should have researched other states that were just as good and more affordable. No doubt Iowa is the land of giants but as of now it seems like the money isn't worth it to me.

If the preference points rise above $100, it absolutely won't be worth it. I am building points in a lot of western state for cheaper. I would rather pick another state to build elk points, than pay an astronomical amount of money to hunt public land whitetails. Lots of cheaper states, with good hunting.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:
Tim H wrote:

If the preference points rise above $100, it absolutely won't be worth it. I am building points in a lot of western state for cheaper. I would rather pick another state to build elk points, than pay an astronomical amount of money to hunt public land whitetails. Lots of cheaper states, with good hunting.

I think the points are outrageous already. I think they were 53 dollars when I started. Now they are 63ish dollars I think. I think I've paid 30 dollars more in points just acquiring them. After it's said and done, the tag will probably be 800 dollars total.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 am

I obviously don't like this, but initial thoughts is that way more than 500 that draw IA every year are using an outfitter. Problem is that I feel like 4,5, & 6 have the most outfitters and it will hurt drawing chances in those.

I'm going to guess that you see some with 4 points miss out on zone 5 this year. 4 drew it with 3 points last year, so it was super close as it was and I believe this year ties in with when the Midwest Whitetail public videos started gaining popularity.

I'm considering burning my 2 points on a non-popular zone this year.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:46 am

thwack16 wrote:I obviously don't like this, but initial thoughts is that way more than 500 that draw IA every year are using an outfitter. Problem is that I feel like 4,5, & 6 have the most outfitters and it will hurt drawing chances in those.

I'm going to guess that you see some with 4 points miss out on zone 5 this year. 4 drew it with 3 points last year, so it was super close as it was and I believe this year ties in with when the Midwest Whitetail public videos started gaining popularity.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if draw odds with 4 points go from 100% to 50% this coming year in zone 5.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:53 am

How hard is it to be considered an outfitter in Iowa? Do they need to to have a certain size of guide business to qualify for this or can anybody with a guide license be allocated these tags?

In Wisconsin a guide license is only $40 and anybody can get one so depending on limitations I could see how this could be abused to get guaranteed tags for non-residents to hunt Iowa.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:00 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:
thwack16 wrote:I obviously don't like this, but initial thoughts is that way more than 500 that draw IA every year are using an outfitter. Problem is that I feel like 4,5, & 6 have the most outfitters and it will hurt drawing chances in those.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if draw odds with 4 points go from 100% to 50% this coming year in zone 5.

618 were told no for zone 5 last year. Surely most, if not all had 3 points. Add in the ones that didn't apply with 3 points, and you definitely could be looking at 50%. I'm guessing it will be more like 80% odds with 4 points though.

I have 2 buddies with 4 points that have already pulled the trigger on a lease in 5. I'd be slightly nervous if I was them.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:28 am

Dewey wrote:How hard is it to be considered an outfitter in Iowa? Do they need to to have a certain size of guide business to qualify for this or can anybody with a guide license be allocated these tags?

In Wisconsin a guide license is only $40 and anybody can get one so depending on limitations I could see how this could be abused to get guaranteed tags for non-residents to hunt Iowa.

Thats one of the issues. As of now they don't have to be registered and the law states the outfitting business must be established prior to 2020. So nothing is stopping people from being an "outfitter" if they have a business already. I could book clients through the small company I work for and basically better their chances of getting a tag and then send them on their way on public.
As for number of people hunting Iowa with an outfitter currently, I have no idea. Locally dont know anyone within an hour and a half any direction that is a guide or runs a business. Maybe there is some close that I dont know about but it's mainly just individuals who lease or own the ground. Down south I know there are some tho
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Dewey wrote:Hate to see this. Iowa has a great system for non-resident DIY hunters with limited tags and fairly reasonable draw time. Showing favoritism for outfitters is just wrong. Those hunters should be drawing just like everyone else. This is exactly how hunting will be turned into a rich mans sport. I really hate to see states headed in this direction but seems to be the trend now. It's all about money.

As a kid my Dad would say from time to time hunting will end up a rich mans sport like over in Europe. I never understood what he meant until the family farms started getting sold and woods became “recreational property”. Governor tags favoring the rich or tv shows and I’m assuming the only thing they have to do is push the HUSH program because they all say the same thing like robots reading a script. Now this . What’s next? Aren’t iowa tags already more unattainable for most compared to many other states with less $ tags and no point system. I’m ok staying on my side of the river in Wisconsin but there are a lot that like to cross that bridge hunt other states.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”