What was your scariest moment.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: What was your scariest moment.....

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:17 am

That’s an underwear-changer Yoder :shock:

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am

That bear story reminds me of an incident I had last fall while the wife and I were riding a bike trail up in northern Vilas County. It was just about dark and we were cruising along pretty good trying to get back with the little light we had left. It was thick woods and I couldn’t see far. I was leading and all of a sudden I heard something moving fast and caught a dark figure to my left. At the last second I figured out it was a large black bear on a full speed run and it never noticed us. I couldn’t slow down quick enough and nearly t-boned it as it crossed my path. At that moment the bear finally noticed us and the look on it’s face was pure panic as it tried to get away. Luckily it kept right on going the direction it was headed. Can’t imagine what might have happened if I actually hit it and it went into defense mode. Close call and nothing real scary but just a real cool encounter.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm

My scariest moment was 2 seasons ago. I was climbing down and noticed that I didn't fully loop the strap on to my stick button. 3rd stick. It was half way across the button and somehow didn't give when I climbed up or back down. I've had skunk/coyote encounters but this one was an eye opener. I had to sit at the bottom of the tree for a while and thank my lucky stars. I double check the straps/buttons every time I climb now.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 am

This was quite a few years ago but I was hunting turkeys in south GA. You can hunt them all day and I’d crossed a river swamp at midday to get to an isolated island. Where I would cross was about chest deep and it was at the end of a deep part of the slough where it narrowed to about 15 yards wide. It was May and the weather pretty nice. I didn’t see any gators on the way in (I looked pretty hard) and when I was coming out in the dark I slipped into the slough with shotgun held over my head. I looked to the right about a 1/4 way across and a WIDE pair of orange eyes was sliding into the slough with me about 15 yards away and disappeared under the water! To say I practically walked on water is an understatement!! I still count myself lucky on that one and break into a sweat when I think about it! Needless to say I never did that again when the weather was warm enough for the gators to be out!

Bio1
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:28 am

Bio1 wrote:This was quite a few years ago but I was hunting turkeys in south GA. You can hunt them all day and I’d crossed a river swamp at midday to get to an isolated island. Where I would cross was about chest deep and it was at the end of a deep part of the slough where it narrowed to about 15 yards wide. It was May and the weather pretty nice. I didn’t see any gators on the way in (I looked pretty hard) and when I was coming out in the dark I slipped into the slough with shotgun held over my head. I looked to the right about a 1/4 way across and a WIDE pair of orange eyes was sliding into the slough with me about 15 yards away and disappeared under the water! To say I practically walked on water is an understatement!! I still count myself lucky on that one and break into a sweat when I think about it! Needless to say I never did that again when the weather was warm enough for the gators to be out!

Bio1

I would have planted a few brown trout in that river :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 am

My scariest moments, related to hunting, revolved around my first year hunting. Since it wasn't one individual event, but kind of a whole weekend thing... it's a bit of a story. I will streamline it as much as possible.
I had just turned 13, and my uncle got me into bow hunting. For the first several hunts, we were in The familiar area around my grandpa's house. We decided to take a trip to the upper lower peninsula with one of my uncle's cousins.
My fear began to run early, in fact on the drive up. I've never seen two men consume so much beer so quickly! :shock: From the back seat, I watched the speedometer on that old 78 Grand Marquis running 120 the whole way. We did make record time.
As the excessive inebriation continued into the evening, it was decided by the "adults" to go out and shine, and that evolved into trying to get some roadside meat... hadn't they called that poaching in my hunter safety class :think:
Fortunately they didn't get the opportunity to shoot anything, and I convinced my uncle that it would be a good opportunity for me to practice my driving... through the northern Michigan forests... at night... thank God he took me up on the offer, as I could see in my mind this 13 year old stranded in the middle of nowhere after the accident.

The next day, upon learning of where my stand location was in relation to the car, and the two adults, I instantly rejected the notion of walking that incredible distance, in the dark northern Michigan woods, by myself. :snooty:
And so as I was slipping out on my way back to the car, well before last shooting light, a rustling began to approach for my right. Adrenaline flowing, and heart pounding, Arrow at the ready, I nearly messed myself when a large porcupine emerged feet in front of me! Safely making it to the car, my mind...and the shadows in the trees...got the best of me as I waited for the men to arrive.
That night back at the campsite, things did not get better. The two men decided around 9 p.m. that they were going to go "scout" for deer to hunt in the morning. I was to wait at the camp until they returned, and they walked off into the night. The next 6 hours of darkness and loneliness that ensued were some of the most terrifying I've ever experienced.
Thank God for an enormous stack of firewood, and that Appetite for Destruction cassette the cousin had brought... I had to have played Welcome to the Jungle dozens of times that night.
:character-beavisbutthead:
Time would later reveal that they had walked to the bar in the nearby town, and then staggered themselves back after close.
All in all, it was a pretty scary experience, and actually turn me off of hunting... Something I didn't take up again until my 30s.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”