The Overlooked Spots

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: The Overlooked Spots

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Tim H wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Do you plan to scout this a bit more this off-season to find out where he is bedding? Or are you pretty positive he is bedding on the private? Also could be a rut bed that he was using judging by the timeframe?

I will continue to scout this area and learn it better. Where I spotted him in August was around a half mile down the road. I’m assuming he is on the private. That is if he’s alive. In the pre rut, the bucks travel this piece looking for does. Essentially a corridor. I’m actually a little surprised though of the day movement in this spot. That’s why I put the camera out. I didn’t want to waste time on it until I knew if it was worth it.

If I want to get behind the private where he was, it’s gonna be quite the adventure through the marsh! That’s where I’d also predict the bedding. But I won’t know until I actually get back there.

Curious what else you got for movement on that cam? Daylight activity from all deer? Wide one come through at night?

Here's a few of the pics I saved.
PICT0234.JPG

PICT0313.JPG

PICT0338.JPG

PICT0365.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm

tgreeno wrote:Nice find Tim!

I typically come to realize that my "overlooked" spots, aren't as overlooked as I originally thought. :?

That happens to me too! I think with Beast tactics becoming so familiar, mobile hunters are looking at the same areas therefore less is overlooked. We will see if this area even pans out in the future. It's a good start though.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Tim, is there any way you could show us a layout of the area without a map of course, but just some lines showing the corridor of predicted buck and doe travel?
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:51 am

That almost looks like an old overgrown field edge, with dogwood in it.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:57 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Tim, is there any way you could show us a layout of the area without a map of course, but just some lines showing the corridor of predicted buck and doe travel?

The area I had my camera in is the small trees. I'm suspecting where the deer travel is based on tracks, sign, and pictures. The small island is a cluster mess of crap. I'm guessing most the bedding is on the private but also could be on the small island.

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:02 am

BRoth82 wrote:That almost looks like an old overgrown field edge, with dogwood in it.

Yeah I think it could be. There is dogwood in it that they feed on. One of the small bucks I had on camera took a bunch of photos eating the dogwood. This was in mid October.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 am

Around here we have a bunch of buckthorn and sumac and I've seen them eat those as well. Didn't know that they eat the dogwoods so thanks for pointing that out, just another browse to keep my eye on.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am

Tim H wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Tim, is there any way you could show us a layout of the area without a map of course, but just some lines showing the corridor of predicted buck and doe travel?

The area I had my camera in is the small trees. I'm suspecting where the deer travel is based on tracks, sign, and pictures. The small island is a cluster mess of crap. I'm guessing most the bedding is on the private but also could be on the small island.

Untitled.png

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Tim. It always helps to study a certain situation with a layout of the area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”