What percent of all hunters are Mobile?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: What percent of all hunters are Mobile?

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:17 am

Dewey wrote:I would say it’s a very small percentage on public unless you include the ground hunters who generally are very mobile. On private it’s obviously even lower. I rarely run into guys packing stands/climbing gear in and out daily on public. Guessing they either ground hunt or sit in illegal stands that were left out.

Same. I might see a 3-4 guys every year carrying mobile gear and almost always a summit climber. Have seen one other guy carrying a lone wolf and sticks but judging by his high dollar everything, he is more of a look at me type hunter.

Guys who are mobile don’t hide the fact they are mobile so I think it’s a small number. I’ll guess 10%, maybe 15% because it’s trendy.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:53 am

I only saw two mobile hunters in parking this year both were decked out in tethered gear. I’m usually the first one in and last out. Don’t run into many hunters
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 am

Mobile hunting is pretty darn low in IA. Lots of pre set stuff. Rarely run into anyone packing in a stand day in and day out. Lots of "I packed in a stand but left it up and gonna hunt it again tomorrow." Successful mobile hunting bluff country is not for the lazy.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:47 am

I belong to a hunting club & we have about 2000 acres. I don't hunt it often for deer, but have not met anyone else who hunts mobile. There are stands pre set all over it, We have 250 members & about 25-30 who deer hunt it. Mike
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:21 am

As far as successful mobile hunters....5%. The percentage gets even lower when we start talking successful mobile hunters on MI public.
Last edited by NBK438 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:24 am

Hawthorne wrote:I only saw two mobile hunters in parking this year both were decked out in tethered gear. I’m usually the first one in and last out. Don’t run into many hunters

Probably the owners...Greg and Ernie. :lol:

Did they have a pimped out truck covered with Tethrd graphics. :think:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:34 am

Dewey wrote:Bottom line is a very large majority are just too lazy to set up and tear down every single hunt. Many are all excited about the new gear and then sell it when they find out how much work it is. It might be growing but betting not nearly as fast as everybody thinks.

That is a yahtzee statement.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:35 am

If your talking mobile as like a still hunter? less than 10%
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Hooks1 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Really, I am just curious how you all would answer the question. I often wonder what percentage of the hunting population is mobile now (now that it is a hot trend).

I sometimes think it could be as high as 10%. 10 years ago +/-, I used to really follow the hunter numbers from any source I could. From what I remember total hunters used to be around 15-17 million. So just using round numbers lets call it 15 million, 10% would be 1.5 million, cutting that in half is 750 thousand.

Anyone want to take a stab at a guess, or anyone read anything about how many total hunters, and what percent are mobile?

I would say less than 10% are mobile whitetail hunters. I found this resent article, https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/cont ... ted-states

Those are some very interesting statistics in that article. I now see the errors of my thinking. I have been thinking about total hunters instead of deer hunters. And I was asking about deer hunting primarily as that is what we mostly are here and was what I meant by how many are mobile.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:38 pm

I would say you have to cut the country in half. The west side of the country would be quite a bit higher then the east side out of necessity. My last couple years in Colorado hunting mountains was eye opening. I’m one of the most mobile hunters I know in FL other then the beast guys that live here. I would say sub 1% here in Florida. 5-10% in Ky. 3-7% in GA. Those are the three places I’ve hunted public in the east.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 am

It depends what you consider mobile. In NJ I would say 80+% are hunting pre set stands. Most of them have a bait pile. Then there's maybe 10-15% that carry in climbers. I don't consider most of these guys mobile, more "rotational". Rotating between a handful of spots and also usually baiting. Very very rarely, maybe 3 times in the last 5 years have I ran into someone with a hang on and sticks. I've never seen a saddle hunter in the wild. I would guess less than 5% are truly mobile.
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:23 am

I would guess 5-8% of deer hunters either hunt a different spot each time or pack in and out their set-up equipment each hunt.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:04 am

Hookslinger wrote:Well one thing I realized my first year of hunting mobile is..... its alot of work! Very fun and rewarding, dont get me wrong. But I have a feeling many guys purchase a mobile set up and try it out for a short time then revert back to their old ways when they find out the effort involved. So its hard to say but I would agree its got to be on the uptick right now with the popularity of THP and THB.

I find it easier..

I scout and hunt at the same time new areas, something I would not have done before.

It takes a few minutes longer to get down, than you just climb down and walk away from a more permanent stand.

I like it because if I didn't see anything or like happened a few times the deer were there but just out of shooting range, they hadn't made me, so the next day I was going to set up in a better spot, and I could do it easily and quietly so I got the kill.

In years past I probably would have hunted and just hoped that the next day they would come my way.

I can't see going back...
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:24 am

We have 11 members in our camp. Only two are mobile.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”