Any elk hunters here?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: Any elk hunters here?

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:57 pm

While I have never had a tag for elk, I have hunted as cameraman/caller and it is an experience like no other, we hunted the Valle Caldera in New Mexico in 2002 and the place was LOADED with monster bulls, it was truely the experience of a lifetime! Hopefully next fall we will have a place in Oregon to chase big bulls as one of my connections in the business has some prime land and has mentioned we should get out there.

Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:55 pm

I've heard that Valle Caldera is amazing. Since it's separate from the main draw (if I remember correctly), I may have to start applying for it.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Sneaky, do you know of any free ranging Elk on public land in west Tx? If so, have you hunted them?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 am

huntinnurse wrote:Sneaky, do you know of any free ranging Elk on public land in west Tx? If so, have you hunted them?

No. I've heard of a few free ranging elk out near Alpine, but they're on private property. You gotta figure, they wouldn't last long on public land in Texas. They are considered an exotic, so there's no regulations on them.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:30 am

Elk....another animal on my "bucket list". Would sure love the opportunity.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Sneaky,

grew up in a nonhunting family elk was my dream from 8th grade on.

97,98 were my first trips to CO ate track stew (solo elk hunts). 2000 watched my cousin shoot an elk in WY- got to pack out. 2006 ID My turn. We hauled 2 elk out on that trip. Here is one getting cut up and the other packed on horse back.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Sweet... 8-)
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Going to WY this year. Cant wait!!!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 am

No draw on Montana! Darn,I found a great spot last year. Looks like aa Idaho DIY trip this Sep.!
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 pm

I Love Elk hunting its a major addiction I have been lucky enough to have worked for Brush Mountain Ranch in Slater Creek Colorado as a guide so I spent almost a month each year in the mountians.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 pm

WiBowhuntress wrote:Elk....another animal on my "bucket list". Would sure love the opportunity.

So do I!

And Thanks to Karl and Lou for the very nice pics!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri May 07, 2010 1:03 am

I am fortunate to be able to chase this amazing quarry every other year in CO. I too have yet to score because of many reasons or excuses. But it is a BLAST. I've only bowhunted for them and we always do the last week of the season when the bugling is at it's peak. This year is a go year. I better start getting in shape.

Picture of last trip out. My buddies 1st.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:26 am

Awesome pictures everyone!!!

I've elk hunted out west 6 different years. My 1st year was In Idaho at 16 years old and the other 5 years were In Montana. So far I'm 0 for 6 on getting an elk but It wasn't for lack of trying or not seeing any. A few of those years I passed on small bulls and cows being I had some very nice bulls working up the draws but to no avail It didn't work out In the end. That's typical elk hunting to a tee. This year I'm headed to Colorado for the 1st time. My bear hunt In Mn will be cut short a tad but I'm alright with that being I haven't elk hunted since 2004. It's time and I can't wait. I just found out I was fortunate enough to draw a Muley buck tag as well for the Colorado hunt. Elk hunting ranks very closely to my bear hunting and I love my bear hunting so that's saying something. :mrgreen:
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:59 pm

There is nothing like elk hunting. I havent been able to go for the last few years and I really miss it. This is my 2006 CO bull with the bow.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 am

Elk season coming up fast! Anybody else starting to get the "fever"? I am heading to N. Idaho Sep 10-25th. Can't wait but hope knee holds up-had partial replacement in March and still gets swollen when I overdo it. This will be a new DIY adventure to an entirely new spot, hoping buddy comes along to help carry out my bull!!! lol Jim

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”