Eyes vs nose

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Eyes vs nose

Unread postby Moose » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 pm

With 1 way access in farm country would you rather have a buck looking into the open fields watching your access or have the wind blowing towards his bedding trying not to get winded. If its an off wind the buck wont be bedded on the farm. If crops were still up id try beating his eyes but now im not sure what to do.

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Re: Eyes vs nose

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:12 am

Morning sit maybe?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:42 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Morning sit maybe?

Thats possible. Never had much luck in the morning during late season though.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:05 am

I think they are more forgiving of what they see, vs what they smell, but if the buck watches you climb the tree, its game over.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:57 am

dan wrote:I think they are more forgiving of what they see, vs what they smell, but if the buck watches you climb the tree, its game over.

Thanks Dan, thats what i was thinking but with wide open crop fields still makes it difficult.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:08 am

That is too difficult to choose w/o knowing the spot.

Ill say this, iv pulled off a few good hunts by walking a odd route w my wind blowing towards bedding. Theres no guarantee that it gets to him but distance and terrain matter.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:16 am

<DK> wrote:That is too difficult to choose w/o knowing the spot.

Ill say this, iv pulled off a few good hunts by walking a odd route w my wind blowing towards bedding. Theres no guarantee that it gets to him but distance and terrain matter.

Totally agree. If there’s a lot of hunter traffic in certain spots I’m not worried if a buck gets a brief whiff if he’s used to having hunters walk past the bedding area. Remote areas don’t share the same luxury.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:18 am

I battle this a lot in small acreage farm settings. I really have no experience with what others mention about blowing into the bedding of slightly missing it. But makes sense. My stuff is small and I don’t have that kind of room to maneuver.

For myself I care more about beating the nose. I feel I can always use the cover of darkness to beat the eyes. But if he gets a whiff or catches my track is all over but the crying. Feel I can also get creative in ways to beat a deers vision of seeing me sneak in. But have never found anything that ups my odds of beating that nose.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:16 am

The biggest problem I run into hunting our farm land is finding somewhere to park that is out of sight. Got a couple places I only hunt when the field is planted to corn. Otherwise I gotta walk a mile just to get to field and not have my vehicle in full view of the field. Got a guy that hunts next to my parents house. He parks right on the side of road never shoots anything nice. Soon as deer see truck they turn around. All he has to do is park another 100 feet in front of where he does and the deer wouldn't be able to see his vehicle.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:16 am

Moose wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Morning sit maybe?

Thats possible. Never had much luck in the morning during late season though.

Might be an all-day sit with your access in the early morning hours. Brutal part of the season for an all-day sit though. Good luck, hope you get him.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”