Big buck cattail hideaways...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Big buck cattail hideaways...

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:19 pm

Good stuff as usual, Dan.
Cattail marshes are kind of foreign to me; the grounds I have hunted in the past have always been more hill country, big woods and ag.

But I want to check out more marshes in the future.
Your vids and DVDs are hands-down the most useful sources of good info I've ever encountered on how to go about tackling them.

Thanks for posting that, and Merry Christmas!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:08 pm

I have learned a lot from your swamp videos'!!
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks Dan and for everything you’re doing for those of us grinding it out. Merry Christmas!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm

KRONIIK wrote:Good stuff as usual, Dan.
Cattail marshes are kind of foreign to me; the grounds I have hunted in the past have always been more hill country, big woods and ag.

But I want to check out more marshes in the future.
Your vids and DVDs are hands-down the most useful sources of good info I've ever encountered on how to go about tackling them.

Thanks for posting that, and Merry Christmas!

You dont have to hunt marshes to learn some things about deer behavior and with an open mind apply it to your own terrain. Sometimes I have a hard time relaying that on videos, but hill country hunting and scouting made me better at flat farm hunting, cause it taught me why bucks bed on small elevation changes...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Spots like that are money. They’re often hard to pick out on an aerial... sometimes really have to study those trails like you mentioned.

Dan your findings on shatter cane (phragmites) are interesting. I see beds in it all the time. If I find a patch of it and it’s dry enough, there will be beds in there guaranteed. When you hit the bedding jackpot is when you find an opening in the center of the cane. Seems like it’s often canary grass. It will be LOADED with well used beds.

And any lone tree in the cane will be a magnet for beds as well. I have spent hours walking big patches of it looking for bedding that’s not visible from an aerial.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”