I’m being patterned by another hunter.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: I’m being patterned by another hunter.

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:25 am

When hunting public I always have a back up spot or two as public is first come first serve. I would just move on and find another area.

The other option is to cut down the tree and he will get the message. :lol: :lol: (JK) :violence-axechase:

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:27 pm

yup that's public land. Find other spots and move on. Plenty of other deer and bucks to be had
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Seems every time some one moves in on me. I make a move, lot of times even find a better spot.

When I'm out in an area I do not want to be seen in. I move like I'm one being hunted. Do a lot of watching.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Im a bit of an odd ball here. I’m a bit of a so u wanna play games type of guy. Guy a heavy duty piece of rebar to give em a warm rub welcome. Fishing, nobody will ever see me catch a fish. I lower my rod tip and let em stroll on by. That’s just me but have learned my lessons about showing off
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:20 pm

You can tell the next guy that asks where you got your buck to go there. It will be a big party while you're off finding the next honey hole.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 am

Ryan549 wrote:He may just be smarter than you give him credit for. Right or wrong, ethical or not, if he has trouble getting on deer, he did what any good hunter would- he made a move based off of intel.... I’m not saying that I agree with him.

I think it would be wrong of you to retaliate in any manner. Removing his ribbons, disturbing bedding.... that’s not who YOU are. If what he did bothers you, do not sink to a level below the standard you have set for yourself.

I would chalk it up to a loss and move on. Learn from this.

Sure wish folks around here had your morals.

Btw - stacking bedding is a beast approved technique.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:40 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Im a bit of an odd ball here. I’m a bit of a so u wanna play games type of guy. Guy a heavy duty piece of rebar to give em a warm rub welcome. Fishing, nobody will ever see me catch a fish. I lower my rod tip and let em stroll on by. That’s just me but have learned my lessons about showing off

Pretty much - the tell everyone where you got the buck suggestion above would work.

To just slink away aint my style.

I'll lose a world record fish instead of a fishing spot. Might get the fish next trip and it sure isn't happening is someone else if fishing there.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 am

Another vote to cut the tree down..
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:16 am

What i find most often when this happens is they really have no idea how to hunt it and they just end up ruining it and pushing the deer elsewhere. Often times they never take into consideration the wind, access, timing, and a multitude of other factors that led to your success.
Now if I am on to a good one I keep it to myself, watch my access and exits, and keep my lips sealed. I keep conversations at small talk and generalizations. I try not to be specific or too forthcoming with knowledge.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:27 am

I remember someone telling a story on here I think, or maybe it was on a podcast...

It went something like they shot a big buck, gutted it and took their gear back to the truck to get the cart. Another hunter was in the parking area and said ‘oh boy, looks like somebody was lucky today’.

The hunter that shot the deer had blood up to his elbows and tells the guy, ‘nope, just a nosebleed’...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 am

PK_ wrote:I remember someone telling a story on here I think, or maybe it was on a podcast...

It went something like they shot a big buck, gutted it and took their gear back to the truck to get the cart. Another hunter was in the parking area and said ‘oh boy, looks like somebody was lucky today’.

The hunter that shot the deer had blood up to his elbows and tells the guy, ‘nope, just a nosebleed’...

That's it!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 am

chizfo wrote:
Well months pass, and I’m finally able to hunt for a buck again so I head back to that same area and the guy has blue tape on trees leading back to the EXACT tree I killed out of.

Sounds like this guy didn't pattern you, you showed him the pattern and now thats all he knows. He has no clue why you did what you did and will burn the spot. First thing I would do is remove that tape. Litter doesn't belong in the forest. Or if you are gonna leave it, he seems like the type of guy who wouldn't notice if you rerouted that tape trail to lead to a different tree altogether.

If the area is good, I wouldn't let competition push me out. I've learned to really like hunting pressure these last 5 years cause its so predictable how deer react to it. Its like stacking a property but you don't have to do all the stacking yourself, the competition checks some of those boxes for you.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 am

Last edited by Sparkey on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:12 am

Trout wrote:
chizfo wrote:
Well months pass, and I’m finally able to hunt for a buck again so I head back to that same area and the guy has blue tape on trees leading back to the EXACT tree I killed out of.

Sounds like this guy didn't pattern you, you showed him the pattern and now thats all he knows. He has no clue why you did what you did and will burn the spot. First thing I would do is remove that tape. Litter doesn't belong in the forest. Or if you are gonna leave it, he seems like the type of guy who wouldn't notice if you rerouted that tape trail to lead to a different tree altogether.

If the area is good, I wouldn't let competition push me out. I've learned to really like hunting pressure these last 5 years cause its so predictable how deer react to it. Its like stacking a property but you don't have to do all the stacking yourself, the competition checks some of those boxes for you.

I like this idea, re-route his ribbons into a hole of swamp and brush.
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:20 am

just take his ribbon and retie them in a different direction, he'll walk right away from you

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”