Late Season Northwoods Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Late Season Northwoods Advice

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:18 am

Seeking any advice i can on this. I don't have a lot of experience hunting the late season up here (northeast mn), generally im tagged out by rifle season. Its been a tough slow year for me so far. Only saw two bucks during the MN rifle season (1 shooter but couldnt get a shot), and all the bucks i saw before were 1.5 year olds.

So my question to you veterans, what are some food sources/habitats i should be keying on? I don't have any ag around, and there are no acorns. My gut has been telling me to get into some of these thick conifer swamps and hunt the little openings that are full of dogwood and and willow. Im guessing thats where all the deer disappear to after that first week of our gun season. Seems like most places turn into ghost towns around here by the second weekend. Any advice is much appreciated.

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Late Season Northwoods Advice

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:53 am

Do you have snow on the ground? That'll make your task a lot easier.

I'd say you're on the right track. Find the food. What that is there, I don't know. Deer eat dang near everything in their habitat. Especially when it's cold and they are hungry.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:03 am

Logging areas that are growing back thick... Concentrate on the down wind side... Keep moving... If you dont find the deer or sign you want keep moving till you do.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm

When Dan says keep moving, he means keep scouting. This effort is not easy. It honestly comes down to how bad you want it. Transitions, food sources etc... but don’t forget to date the fat chick!
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:48 am

dan wrote:Logging areas that are growing back thick... Concentrate on the down wind side... Keep moving... If you dont find the deer or sign you want keep moving till you do.

This. And Benoit them! Track him down.
Shoot Straight
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now i just need to keep an eye on the wind for tomorrow
BigWoodsME6

Unread postby BigWoodsME6 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:15 am

I do not hunt whats considered the "North Woods" of Maine but I do hunt large chunks of ground 2+ miles between roads and I agree with everything said in here. With out oaks look for thick areas along transition lines where the deer can easily escape and hide/bed. Overgrown clear cuts are one of the best transition lines to search around especially after heavy hunting pressure. If you have snow that is manageable to travel along at a decent pace then get on a track, find any thread from Magicman to get a good understanding of how this is done, I think he hunts your state.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:45 pm

dan wrote:Logging areas that are growing back thick... Concentrate on the down wind side... Keep moving... If you dont find the deer or sign you want keep moving till you do.

Yep what Dan says, keep moving until you find them, don't stop until you find something worth hunting. For me most of the time with snow I just look for big tracks and keep after them, sometimes I will track them down, sometimes I will track them and if I am running out of light setup on them. Sometimes I will just scout it it out, take a guess at bedding and setup on them. Every situation is a little different.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”