Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:41 pm

I don’t share info or pictures with many but when I do it’s usually a general area or mountain range but no specifics. But I really don’t worry about it too much because most people will not or physically cannot go where I go.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:03 am

Pudster wrote:One guy was like "you better keep that spot quiet or you will have company", he seemed to doubt me when I said I would probably never hunt there again. I didnt explain but that is the truth, unless I happen to see the right sign like I picked up on this year.

That scenario plays out for me as well. Guys poke for info by asking "You hunt here (names a specific access spot) right?" Then they think you're lying when you say that you hunt every end of 4 counties.

Most hunters a stuck on having "A" good spot.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:10 am

Hey man I’m glad you brought this up, I’ve been meaning to ask you “where’d you kill that buck?”
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:24 am

I hate this question, and the fact that some people are either oblivious or indignant that they are asking a dumb question. Often times I end up giving a general name or roughly where I shot a deer. I need to get better at lying. Agree with a previous post, most people want to have a single hunting spot that they count on. It's hard for some friends to understand that I have dozens, and with real time scouting many of those may not be worth a darn in a given year. Not worth explaining all the details of the beast mindset in my book, so I try to avoid this question at all costs.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:54 am

Its rude to ask someone that question..they deserve a bs answer
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 am

jmaas07 wrote:Its rude to ask someone that question..they deserve a bs answer

My thoughts exactly.
Jphill87

Unread postby Jphill87 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:52 am

I have offered to take people with me but so far nobody has wanted to hoof it 3 miles.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm

brancher147 wrote:I don’t share info or pictures with many but when I do it’s usually a general area or mountain range but no specifics. But I really don’t worry about it too much because most people will not or physically cannot go where I go.

Same here. I just keep it vague and don't give too many details. If they pry, I'll joke and say "If I tell you Ill have to shoot you, and if I don't tell you, Ill shoot you anyway for asking" haha. But yeah Im really not that worried either, very rare its in an easy access spot (though Ive had it happen)- usually its a mile or so of thick nasty to get to.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:08 pm

The most obnoxious experience I had in this regard was shooting a buck mid-day on some public land. It was quite a ways back off the road and instead of dragging it out I quartered and backpacked it out, which took two trips (between my stand, sticks, backpack, meat and antlers). Not a big deal, done it plenty of times with elk, just takes some time.

Packed out the first load in a light rain mid-afternoon. Packed out the second load and the rain picked up quite a bit. Not a complete downpour but I was pretty soaked and it was about 38 degrees out. (I like these adventures!).

I arrived back at the vehicle about two hours after dark, to find an idling truck park next to my vehicle. As I approached my vehicle wearing my pack frame and antlers strapped to it, a guy jumps out and has a flashlight blasting on me, and he says “I want to see how big your buck is!”

What a d!ck move. Turns out he also followed me in to see where i had recovered it and had the meat hanging up - In the rain - to get an idea of where I had hunted that day. And then he waited until after dark for a couple of hours to see what is was?! SMH.

Always watch your back trail when you are making multiple trips. Never underestimate the lengths to which others will go - not to learn HOW to become a better hunter themselves - but to copy those that have some success.

Asking unintelligent/unimportant questions about where you hunt or where you have had success says more about their abilities than anything else.

Asking intelligent questions - about important things such as terrain, access, setups, thermals, food sources, hunting pressure, funnels, etc. - shows knowledge or a genuine interest in learning and improving. I’m more than happy to have those types of conversations!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:07 pm

Good post Maverick. I know all about those obnoxious experiences and have had a number over the years. Good point about wanting to help people who genuinely want to learn. I have no problem giving those guys info or tips to help them out. The ones fishing for free intel and don’t want to work for it are the problem and I can tell who they are with a very brief conversation.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 am

A friend and I were talking one day about an area both of us regularly hunt. I mentioned to him that it seemed like there were a lot more hunters there than in past years. He agreed and we weren’t sure the reason for it. Then one day I show up there to hunt and there was a young guy in the parking lot who pulled in right after me. He told me another guy told him he shot a 160” buck and there was one with it that was just as big. There it was! The reason more guys were there this year.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:48 am

Outside of my very very small circle of family and friends.

I dont tell anyone spit, I will straight up bold face lie my but off before willing give anyone any correct info.

True its public land and everyone has as much right to hunt it as I do. But I'm not going too make it easy on someone.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:27 am

Unfortunately, when people ask me where I shot a deer, more often than not, the answer is either, "I spine shot him" or "I gut shot him."
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:49 am

When they ask just tell them what your hunting guide fee is...
what one man can do another can do
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't tell people where my good out of state public land spots or areas are, especially the ones that i know i can find multiple mature bucks on whenever i go there. Local stuff I'm not so secretive about
equal opportunity hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”