How to hunt from a cow pasture with a Bull

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

How to hunt from a cow pasture with a Bull

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 am

I shot my Buck this year from a blind out of a cow pasture. Bull never saw us the first time. We snuck in, popped up and the cows licked my rifle and wouldn’t leave us alone but we got it done. When my buddy went back to the blind in the dark the bull rushed him a few times and he shot his pistol in the ground to scare him. I thought it was the dark that spooked this bull, farmer said he’s friendly. I went back in daylight to hunt and made it to the center of the field and the bull rushed me. I talked smack to him and he posted up. I turned the other way and made it halfway back to the fence before he rushed again. This time I yelled obscenities at him louder and he posted up long enough for me to get out. This is an Angus bull, he’s massive.

Question to you ranchers is, is there a good way to pull off this hunt short of pulling a camouflaged truck in and hunting out of it?

buttonbuck
500 Club

Re: How to hunt from a cow pasture with a Bull?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 am

Oopps
Tribute80

Re: How to hunt from a cow pasture with a Bull

Unread postby Tribute80 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:08 am

I have hunted around 2 different herds. First type was holsteins(black and white make milk) and second was Angus beef cows. The problem with the Holseins was they always thought I had food so when they seen me they would follow me everywhere I went. Would never leave even when tried to run them off. The Angus cows never seen people so as soon as they seen me the whole herd would stampede or just run through the fields and the woods wide open. I hate cows except for when I'm eating them. The only advise I got is don't let them see you. if I had to go out of my way to not let them see me or spoke that's what I did. In my experience deer will tolerate cows but will always keep there distance from them.
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 am

Cows can be very curious. I know it is hard to believe when they are running at you. Sometimes seeing, hearing, smelling a different person will spark this. I see it all the time at my dads farm. They love my dad but skittish around other people. This is going to sound silly, but if you have an oppurtunity in the off season, go and hang out and get to know the bull a little. It might settle him down the next time you see him and most of all give you a piece of mind.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:22 am

This thread has all sorts of possibilities.

I have nothing to add that isnt sarcastic or rude so I'll leave.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:00 am

muddy wrote:This thread has all sorts of possibilities.

;)

I imagine some of your comments were udderly ridiculous. (Idk if button buck will ever outlive that thread.)
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:24 pm

I always figured that if you were on an even playing field with a bull and he wanted to go after you he wouldn't care if you stood up to him?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Lockdown wrote:
muddy wrote:This thread has all sorts of possibilities.

;)

I imagine some of your comments were udderly ridiculous. (Idk if button buck will ever outlive that thread.)

That's no BULL!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 am

I’m a dairy farmer. I’ve been attacked by a bull, my dad was almost killed by a bull. Every year farmers get killed by bulls. Regardless of what the farmer that owns this bull tells you about how friendly he is, bulls are fine until the moment that they snap. Once they decide they’re going to kill you, you’re going to be lucky to get out alive.

I wouldn’t hunt in a pasture with a bull if I didn’t have prior experience with bulls.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 am

SamPotter wrote:I’m a dairy farmer. I’ve been attacked by a bull, my dad was almost killed by a bull. Every year farmers get killed by bulls. Regardless of what the farmer that owns this bull tells you about how friendly he is, bulls are fine until the moment that they snap. Once they decide they’re going to kill you, you’re going to be lucky to get out alive.

I wouldn’t hunt in a pasture with a bull if I didn’t have prior experience with bulls.

This.
I grew up on a dairy farm and have been VERY fortunate to have escaped bulls who wanted to SMASH me into mush.
NEVER trust any bull.
EVER.
The friendly ones will nuzzle and let you scratch their forehead one day and flat-out KILL you the next.
Colddriver

Unread postby Colddriver » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:09 am

Forget the deer eat the bull...
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:05 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
SamPotter wrote:I’m a dairy farmer. I’ve been attacked by a bull, my dad was almost killed by a bull. Every year farmers get killed by bulls. Regardless of what the farmer that owns this bull tells you about how friendly he is, bulls are fine until the moment that they snap. Once they decide they’re going to kill you, you’re going to be lucky to get out alive.

This.
I grew up on a dairy farm and have been VERY fortunate to have escaped bulls who wanted to SMASH me into mush.
NEVER trust any bull.
EVER.
The friendly ones will nuzzle and let you scratch their forehead one day and flat-out KILL you the next.

So what would you suggest someone to do if they find themselves in a situation with a bull? If your in a field and all of a sudden realize your on his turf and he's coming for you. Do you try to run? What is the best recourse?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

This.
NEVER trust any bull.
EVER.

So what would you suggest someone to do if they find themselves in a situation with a bull? If your in a field and all of a sudden realize your on his turf and he's coming for you. Do you try to run? What is the best recourse?

A .458 Winchester Magnum loaded with 500 grain Silvertips.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Stay close to the fence to get away from the bull. I’ve got two 2 year old Angus bulls and I do not let my guard down around them. Really want to sell them, but getting resistance on the home front.

Bulls were hand raised. Doesn’t matter to them.

Also, deer avoid the cow pasture for the most part anymore. Movement shifted.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:05 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

This.
NEVER trust any bull.
EVER.

Run using evasive maneuvers. Put any obstacle between possible you and him. Get up a tree, or better yet, under or over the fence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”