Deer Selfies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Deer Selfies

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:00 am

Just a vent, and sorry if I'm offending anyone, but the proliferation of people laying next to their dead bucks and taking selfies with them on social media has become incredibly obnoxious. Perhaps I'm over-reacting (ok probably) but I see it as disrespectful to the animal and frankly its a bad look for the hunting community.

OK, rant over, I guess just seeing if I'm alone...

treeroot
500 Club

Re: Deer Selfies

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:01 am

I avoid social media beyond this site. So it doesn't offend me one bit!
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 am

It's just stupid and a bad look.

People will do anything for attention
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 am

Kraftd wrote:Just a vent, and sorry if I'm offending anyone, but the proliferation of people laying next to their dead bucks and taking selfies with them on social media has become incredibly obnoxious. Perhaps I'm over-reacting (ok probably) but I see it as disrespectful to the animal and frankly its a bad look for the hunting community.

How is it different from the grip-and-grin photos from your avatar? (not just yours) The perspective?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:09 am

Social media as a whole is just completely obnoxious. People will do anything for “likes” these days. :roll:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 am

I did a selfie with my buck. Sorry if you’re offended.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 am

I'm with you. It bothers me but I just look the other way.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Just a vent, and sorry if I'm offending anyone, but the proliferation of people laying next to their dead bucks and taking selfies with them on social media has become incredibly obnoxious. Perhaps I'm over-reacting (ok probably) but I see it as disrespectful to the animal and frankly its a bad look for the hunting community.

How is it different from the grip-and-grin photos from your avatar? (not just yours) The perspective?

Fair enough. I guess to me, a more traditional posed photo is generally done with some respect to the deer in mind. The ones I'm seeing just seem to intentionally make the deer look goofy and just don't pass the gut check on how I personally think we as hunters want to present ourselves. I view it as something that comes across as making light of killing the animal, certainly probably wrong for at least some folks.

Not something that I'm losing sleep over, and I spend less and less time on SM every week, but with the gun seasons, it seems like they are everywhere. Just what I'm feeling on it. To each their own.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:35 am

I certainly wasn't trying to pick on you, but I get your point. It's not just the wide-angle perspective of the front-facing lens, it's more about the general nature of selfies themselves. It's more festive and has everyone in the selfie hamming it up somewhat. And a dead deer ain’t an active participant in the process so therefore can't ham it up... Until much later when they become actual ham. :lol:

I guess that's why people prop up their rear-facing camera and use a timer to take a more traditional pic. I'm more in favor of that route.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:42 am

greenhorndave wrote:I certainly wasn't trying to pick on you, but I get your point. It's not just the wide-angle perspective of the front-facing lens, it's more about the general nature of selfies themselves. It's more festive and has everyone in the selfie hamming it up somewhat. And a dead deer ain’t an active participant in the process so therefore can't ham it up... Until much later when they become actual ham. :lol:

I guess that's why people prop up their rear-facing camera and use a timer to take a more traditional pic. I'm more in favor of that route.

Definitely didn't take it that way. Honestly, more often than not lately I've been alone even on recovery so am probably 50/50 over the last five years or so in even having a pic with me in them.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 am

I’m not a real big fan of it either.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:57 am

Also not a fan and think it's done in poor taste.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 am

Selfies are the worsts. Especially the ducky face thing. Makes me want to vomit. When many of us were growing up, there were these things called photo albums. You would open up your grandmas and look through them and they would tell you when the picture was taken and what was going on, who the “people” were in the photo. It was a good time looking back and remembering what was going on.

Selfies are a look at me, look at me, look at me creation of this digital age, and social media, it’s called vanity. I hate them and refuse to do them, even with friends.

That’s just my rant about selfies. When it comes to adding deer, well I already hate them so nothing really changes.

If you took a selfie with your deer please don’t feel like I am hating on you, I really don’t care what you do, I’m more hating on social media and selfies in general. I would also wager a bet this falls along generational lines to some degree as to those who do and don’t like selfies.

Now get off my lawn!!!
MattNewberg

Unread postby MattNewberg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:17 am

Definitely not a good look, period.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 am

Definitely not a fan of the deer selfie!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”