Xop vs lone wolf

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Xop vs lone wolf

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:10 am

Been saddle hunting but also want a stand from time to time. Xop is cheaper and seems to have better features. I’ve had 2 lone wolfs in the past. I like xop 2 step stick. I have never used xop and have extensive experience with lone wolf. Please give me the good, bad and ugly of xop vs lone wolf. I want lightweight as I often hike in a ways

Crazinamatese

Re: Xop vs lone wolf

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:50 am

I owned the xop climbing sticks and they much heavier than the LW sticks. I never used them because after I bought them almost right away there was a recall on the xop sticks and xop addressed the issue poorly and so I tossed those sticks right in the dumpster and bought hawk helium sticks instead.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 am

The original lone wolf stands have a long standing reputation and are considered by many to be the best stands out there, and I know the current owners are said to be great guys. XOP sticks have had issues in the past but I’m not familiar with their stands. Hard not to go with Lone Wolf in my opinion. I love my assault 2 and I’ve tried a ton of different stands over the years. Absolutely love it and great quality.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 am

wmihunter wrote:Been saddle hunting but also want a stand from time to time. Xop is cheaper and seems to have better features. I’ve had 2 lone wolfs in the past. I like xop 2 step stick. I have never used xop and have extensive experience with lone wolf. Please give me the good, bad and ugly of xop vs lone wolf. I want lightweight as I often hike in a ways

Everyone on this fourm is going to say lone wolf.. I own a lone wolf assault and I recently bought an xop vanish evolution off someone on facebook marketplace. I've used both and both are good stands. If you are looking to save money get the xop. If you want USA made get the lone wolf. Look into Novix as well I guess. I prefer smaller and I think the only stand they have is like the lone wolf alpha unless they came out with an assault version recently. I sold my lone wolf sticks because I did not like them. I like the stacking capabilities of the xop but do not like single steps. I own first version beast sticks and really like them. I also own the cheaper api double steps and thy are awesome if you are looking to save money.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:14 am

Want the bad and ugly look at xop stand reviews on Amazon. Scary stuff on there.

My go to right now is assault 2 with 4 beast mini sticks. Bottom 2 steps have single step aiders. American made tree stand light weight and proven over the years.

Lone wolf has some promo codes out there to get $50 off so price points are nearly the same.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 am

I have the lw alpha 2 and 4 xop sticks. It seems heavy but i dont have anything to compare it to either. This is my first year of using them so its basically new. No problems yet. Xop sticks have a longer step that i like. If i had to do it all over again i would look at the assault and lighter sticks and i really like the double steps on the sticks. I think any big name brand you cant go wrong with.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 am

Have both.

The attention to detail and quality seems a little higher on the Lone Wolf.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:44 am

Only xop product I have used other then the tree stand transport thing is their sticks.

Hated them. Ooved the wide step, hated the way the step was connected to the stick, all of mine broke on the middle step, they replaced that part with the upgraded parts, still ended up having 3 out of 12 break at the same place.

Ended up modifying them to my liking and used them that way till I got rid if them.

Only hangon stands I have ever used have been chippewa wedgeloks. They have some super small and some really big stands.

Tryed a lone wolf wide sit and climb for a season, hated that thing as well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am

Lone Wolf Alpha is the best stand ever made. I love my saddle hunting but will never sell my Alpha.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 am

I like my XOP. Bought it over the lone wolf because its cheaper. There's a few scary reviews online of the seat snapping off and what not but mine is built solid. I have the XOP tree transport system and love it.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:24 am

Love my Alpha 2. Yes, its heavier and more exhausting going long distances, but once it is set up, I never regret having lugged that thing in.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:59 am

I have the xop vanish I've been using a few seasons. I think it's heavier than the lw assault 2 and in my opinion it needs the 2 straps to the tree whereas a lot of guys use 1 strap on lw. Bought it cause of the price. I don't regret the purchase anyway.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:04 pm

No question lone wolf over xop you wont regret it from a quality perspective...also chosing made in USA over made in china
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:55 pm

I think I’ll try to get The lw assault. I like the lighter weight and it’s one of the ones I had before. Thanks!
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm

mbone1327 wrote:I like my XOP. Bought it over the lone wolf because its cheaper. There's a few scary reviews online of the seat snapping off and what not but mine is built solid. I have the XOP tree transport system and love it.

I ran the xop vanish through October last season. The last time I used it I setup in a 20ish" diameter Oak. Cam locked it. Every time I stood up near the front edge of the platform, the entire platform would flex down. Felt like it was gonna snap anytime. Been hanging in my garage since. Won't sell it or give it away, feel like its just not safe. There's also a noticeable difference with the platform opening and teeth when it comes to cam locking compared to the Lone Wolf Alpha and Assault.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”