High wind advisory, what's your strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Primetime

Re: High wind advisory, what's your strategy?

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:03 am

Maybe ground blind if it doesn't blow away.

gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:09 am

I’ll be banking good will and putting in some family time. High winds = zero fun deer hunting. If I had a duck blind, that’s where I’d be.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:49 am

Over the years I have seen many of my largest bucks during ridiculously high winds. Hard to stay focussed when it seems impossible deer will move during that but believe me they do. Hardest part is being in a good solid tree or even making an accurate shot especially making one in across wind. Ground hunting would obviously be better. Also be aware of dead trees. Last few years dead ash trees are everywhere and can be deadly if you don’t pay attention to your surroundings. Over the past few weeks I had multiple large ash trees come crashing down.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 am

Dewey wrote:Over the years I have seen many of my largest bucks during ridiculously high winds. Hard to stay focussed when it seems impossible deer will move during that but believe me they do. Hardest part is being in a good solid tree or even making an accurate shot especially making one in across wind. Ground hunting would obviously be better. Also be aware of dead trees. Last few years dead ash trees are everywhere and can be deadly if you don’t pay attention to your surroundings. Over the past few weeks I had multiple large ash trees come crashing down.

I saw a lot of older poplars that otherwise looked healthy go down in bunches as well just recently.

I don’t want to go out today, yet I want to go as well. Stalk inside bedding areas for grins.Who knows what might be moving around where they feel safe. Wind swirl on the ground is my major concern.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:02 am

Take the day off, rest up, keep the wife/family happy then get after it when the wind dies down some.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 am

My father-in-law just called it quits in the thumb of Michigan. Tree came down on his blind on a field edge but was only blocking the stairs. He went to his favorite blind in the woods and it was split in half and trashed by a giant tree. Glad I wasn’t up there with him like we had been planning on for the last year. He said if anyone had been in it they would be dead. Told him to go back on Wednesday after the winds die down and that the pressure from the neighbors will cause his wood lot to be stacked.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:44 am

Autiger wrote:My father-in-law just called it quits in the thumb of Michigan. Tree came down on his blind on a field edge but was only blocking the stairs. He went to his favorite blind in the woods and it was split in half and trashed by a giant tree. Glad I wasn’t up there with him like we had been planning on for the last year. He said if anyone had been in it they would be dead. Told him to go back on Wednesday after the winds die down and that the pressure from the neighbors will cause his wood lot to be stacked.

:o :shock:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:14 am

So what wind speed threshold do you guys 1. Stay home. 2. Ditch the stand and ground hunt .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”