First archery buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

First archery buck

Unread postby DhD » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:36 pm

I have tried to write this up multiple times and erased it every time, so I'm going to keep it simple. The property was the first piece of public I ever Beast scouted. Spent countless hours texting with another member about this property and the very first mature buck I ever got on camera. Chased him for a full season and never even got close, he ran circles around me.

Fast forward to this season, didn't really get anything good on camera over the summer, which was a bummer, it was my favorite place to hunt. Spent most of September and October hunting other spots. Got started a little late one day in late October, and someone was in my plan A and plan B spots, so I decided to scout this property quick. Found a standing cornfield in the back, when all the rest of the corn in the area was out. Ended up seeing 20 deer that night, and shooting right over the back of a buck.

Went back on Halloween and shot a doe just to gain some confidence. She didn't bleed at all, and I had to search quite a bit even tho she didn't get very far. While I was searching for her I found a bunch of hammer sign and hung a camera. I would have hunted it anyway, but I got two good bucks on it the next day. Game on!!

A few days later I had the wind that I needed to get in. It was extremely windy that morning, so I headed in at gray light. Still hunted my way to a fresh scrape, set up, hunted two hours and didn't see anything. Decided to move up a hundred yards closer to my camera, and set up again. Two hours later I still hadn't seen any deer, but the sign was hot hot hot. Moved up another hundred yards until I was 60 yards from my camera. Found six scrapes in that little fifty yard section. Decided to set up sixty yards downwind to look for cruising bucks.

Got set up in a deadfall and waited something like 90 minutes, when out of nowhere a doe came running by like she was being chased. She ran as close as she could to my setup without actually running into the deadfall that I was set up in. I assumed she had a buck behind her, so I turned to be ready to shoot that direction. Not one minute later the buck I had gotten on camera was dogging behind her on the same trail. He got to directly in front of me, slowed for about half a second, and I let er rip at what was honestly probably 10 ft. Hit just a little high and back, but he ran maybe twenty yards and tipped over. At that point I lost my mind.

Huge shout-out to the member who has dealt with about a million texts from a guy he has never actually met, to help me get a buck. I don't like to call people out by name, but feel free to chime in. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks brother.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
muddy

Re: First archery buck

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:51 pm

Congrats, good one!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Congrats on a dandy 8 :dance:

Love the tall tines and tight rack 8-)

Heck of a first archery buck. Well done.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:44 pm

That is fabulous!!

Did you have to stop him, or did he stop when he saw you?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:35 pm

greenhorndave wrote:That is fabulous!!

Did you have to stop him, or did he stop when he saw you?

He kinda just paused, I'm not certain he came to a complete stop, I think he smelled me at the last second. He was so close I didn't think I could miss. I was at full draw and ready well before he got to where I shot him.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:41 pm

Pretty epic first archery buck! Stud buck from the ground is awesome man. I saw you were out a lot this season, steady grinding. Way to stick with it, glad you were rewarded with a great trophy!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Awesome first! Congrats!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Congrats on a solid buck! Kudos to whoever helped you out as well...good people here for sure. :clap:
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:23 am

:clap:
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:48 am

Congrats on an awesome first buck!
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:54 am

Congrsts, the mentor/hunting buddy is priceless. Just bouncing info and exchanged ideas work out a lot.
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:24 am

Nice buck, congrats!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:51 am

Bucktacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 am

Man you have worked your tail off to get to the point of your "first archery buck"
CONGRATULATIONS on a DANDY, let alone being your first archery buck! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Not just your endless hours of mapping, scouting, pre-planning, hunting, trying things and learning by both success and failures!
Super happy for you brother :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I know you will be seeing more bucks fall!

You're very aware of the work and dedication it takes and I wont be at all surprised if you drop another one this season.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:55 am

Nice buck. Congrats. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”