Euro vs Shoulder

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Euro or Shoulder

Euro
50%
Shoulder
50%
Half Mount
No votes

Total votes: 54
NBK438

Euro vs Shoulder

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:29 pm

I have 3 shoulder mounts, 5 euros and a good amount of skull cap mounts laying around. I shot a couple nice bucks this year for MI and was curious on everyones take about euro vs shoulder. I ended up euroing the public land 120 12 point and i really like being able to pick it up and handle it vs shoulder mounts are more for the look. The buck in debate is a 145" 10 pt. Keep in mind I already have a 168, 122 and a 123 shoulder mounted and I dont plan on having a giant house and with me being 29 I should be able to put more down worthy of the wall. So what is it? Euro or shoulder?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Euro vs Shoulder

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:00 am

You gotta make the call. sounds like you are on your way to having a house full.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:25 am

I’ve found over time that I prefer the euro for the simple fact that I can pick it up and handle it if I want, and then hang it back up or set it back where it was. My shoulder mounts are beautiful but like you said, more for looks which is fine too. Personal preference in the end.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:23 am

I can do a euro myself in two days for about $5 worth of stuff and two hours, give or take, of my time. I have tow shoulder mounts, and won't say I won't get another, but I'm pretty much all euros these days. Just not sure what I'd do at 60 with $10,000 or more worth of shoulder mounts. My two biggest are euros, and my wife doesn't mind them in the living room, where she would not want a shoulder mount !

Garage wall is getting pretty full, I have them all over the place at home, office, cabin. I just really like the look of a euro. You gotta do what works for you, but I like basically free, hanging in two days, and something that can go a lot more places.

Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:35 am

If it’s me, in your situation, I’m doing the shoulder mount on a Michigan 145 every time. I like Euro’s ok but nothing beats the look of a good shoulder mount. You obviously have price/space considerations but if it’s me it isn’t much of a decision. Shoulder without a doubt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:38 am

I prefer shoulder mounts and currently have five but these days unless it’s over 140” I’m probably just doing a euro just because there are so many more options for displaying. My wall space is really limited with a couple bear and also fish in addition to many deer rack on wall plaques. Gonna have to be a pretty darn nice buck now for a shoulder mount.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 am

Call me crazy but I like the wall plaques myself over the euros.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:58 am

Everyone's likes are different. For me it comes down to the size of the deer and its character. If its questionable I go with a euro, if its a stud he gets the full treatment!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:59 am

Personally I’d do a shoulder mount first, wall plaque second, euro last. I’ll find room for shoulder mounts should the need arise.

Really not a fan of euros but to each their own. Nice to have lots of display options but just don’t think they look that nice personally.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 am

Dewey wrote:I prefer shoulder mounts and currently have five but these days unless it’s over 140” I’m probably just doing a euro just because there are so many more options for displaying. My wall space is really limited with a couple bear and also fish in addition to many deer rack on wall plaques. Gonna have to be a pretty darn nice buck now for a shoulder mount.

2nd this. I like both, but any shoulder mount needs to be over that ~140 mark
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 am

Chuck B wrote:Call me crazy but I like the wall plaques myself over the euros.

You're crazy! ;)
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:13 am

RiverBottoms wrote:
Dewey wrote:I prefer shoulder mounts and currently have five but these days unless it’s over 140” I’m probably just doing a euro just because there are so many more options for displaying. My wall space is really limited with a couple bear and also fish in addition to many deer rack on wall plaques. Gonna have to be a pretty darn nice buck now for a shoulder mount.

2nd this. I like both, but any shoulder mount needs to be over that ~140 mark

3rd this. I have a bunch of Euro's and 1 shoulder. That shoulder mount , a 135" 10pt, has basically set the standard. Anything smaller gets euro, bigger- shoulder is in consideration.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 am

Tough call man and pretty much whatever you want to do really. I will have 5 shoulders after I get this years deer back and 1 euro. Feel like its going to be mostly euros from now on unless then are special for some reason. Wall space is a factor as well as $ for me. I also want to half mount a bear at some point and feel like you need to draw the line at some point. Think mostly a personal preference thing. I know guys with one or two shoulders and wouldn't do another even tho they have killed tons of good bucks and I know guys that shoulder mount every 110 inch deer they shoot.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:36 am

Eyeballs kinda weird me out, so I like euro mounts.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 am

I have many euros. Saving the shoulder mount option for a booner. Maybe someday.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”