Hunt the wind or ignore the wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Hunt the wind or ignore the wind?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Jeez, looks like everday in my region will have a south wind for the next week. I only have a few areas that work well with a south wind. Its the rut. Many of my better rut areas are for northerly winds. What to do? Hunt the wind or ignore the wind? Considering its rut.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Hunt the wind or ignore the wind?

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:44 am

Can you access from other side or for a cross wind?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:17 am

Gotta find some good south wind spots even if it means going in blind. I actually look forward to south winds during the rut. My best bucks all came from that dreaded direction most hate to see in early November because it brings warm temps. I like to make sure every option is covered when winter/spring scouting so I never run out of spots to hunt in any wind or other weather condition.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:21 am

I setup to hunt the forecast strong west wind this morning. It turned out to be a strong south wind when I got there which is the only wind I don’t want for that spot. I was stubborn and setup anyway thinking it’s the rut you never know. My hunt didn’t last long-had a buck coming in perfect first 30 minutes as expected until he got my wind...then a doe started blowing and ran out. I make this mistake at least once every year and it has never worked out in my favor. I would look for spots for a south wind not try to hunt areas on the wrong wind
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:29 am

I wouldn't forsake the wind.

At least try for a crosswind.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:51 am

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:I wouldn't forsake the wind.

At least try for a crosswind.

Even a just off wind is better then a known bad wind for me. Don’t get me wrong I’ve gone way up to make a sit work if I had no other option and it wasn’t one of my premium spots.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:01 pm

I have noticed this year more than in the past the winds where I hunt have switched a lot..180 degrees back and forth during sits. As for buck travel direction and even does this year, they are coming in from the opposite of the directions expected. So...sometimes I’ve gotten unexpectedly busted and others didn’t. It’s been a real crapshoot.

If I were in a specific buck I’d be dialed in with making sure he couldn’t scent me, if not, I’d do the best I could and hunt.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Thats what Im thinking. Just do the best I can with what I got because right bow my best rut spots are not being hunted because of the wind. I would hate to waste this week because of it. I think I can make it happen. Entry is my concern. But I have a plan. Im confident there are some good bucks that are gonna let their guard down. I’ve seen it happen and like someone mentioned, anything can happen.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Never and I do mean never ignore the wind. Now there’s times you can roll the dice with an “iffy” and hope u can get a shot off b4 he gets a whiff. But blowing directly at deer u r hunting on purpose is a fools game.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Never and I do mean never ignore the wind. Now there’s times you can roll the dice with an “iffy” and hope u can get a shot off b4 he gets a whiff. But blowing directly at deer u r hunting on purpose is a fools game.

I know. I been burned many times. Its the rut, I have this week off. Im rolling the dice. How do you like me now?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 pm

So what’s the plan for entry?

Crazinamatese wrote:Thats what Im thinking. Just do the best I can with what I got because right bow my best rut spots are not being hunted because of the wind. I would hate to waste this week because of it. I think I can make it happen. Entry is my concern. But I have a plan. Im confident there are some good bucks that are gonna let their guard down. I’ve seen it happen and like someone mentioned, anything can happen.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 am

I mean obviously hunt your sets differently and work those entrances but I don't think anyone can ignore the wind. Your best spots could still work but you have to hunt them a little different. If it isn't working then try some new stuff, all you can do. The only wind I don't have a lot of sets for is an East wind but those rarely happen, when they do I just try and figure out options and be as mobile as possible. Because of bad entrance options in some areas I have setup so I might have to shoot them when they hit my entrance trail, not a great option but it can be done.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:22 am

Hunt the few areas you have for a south wind. They may surprise you with a traveling wall hanger or a buck you don't know about.

IMO, its that option or playing your best stands based on thermals. This may mean only spending an hour or so of hunting your best spots but maybe the thermals can bail you out at certain times of the day.

I know they did for me a couple days ago. The wind was mainly NW and howling. I was on a leeward side hill and the way the wind wrapped around a saddle it was steady towards the east. However, as the air cooled I felt some swirling going on and I had a doe laying out in front at 50 yards and higher in elevation. I dropped some milkweed and found that despite my feeling the wind hit the back of my neck and blowing toward the bedded deer, it was dropping. The thermal was pushing my scent down the hill despite what I felt. The deer never smelled me or if she did never reacted. Twenty minutes before dark a couple bucks showed up and chased her around without ever getting my wind or appearing to and all of them came within 30 yards.
Shoot Straight
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Crazinamatese, I started carrying in a small stool with me along with wearing a ghillie top with me to the stand. That way I can recalibrate the hunt if the winds are blowing funky or there are other changes to the surroundings.
I'm also able to set up on the fly if I come across fresh sign or I see something that makes me change my present plan. It's like carrying in a stand and setting up on the fly except I really love hunting off the ground and keeping things
simple. I've also run into 2 shooter bucks as I slowly worked my way to a pre-hung stand I had intended to hunt from. I had the wind to my advantage and jump them both at 15 yards or less. I could have got a shot off at both of them,
since they both stopped and turned around at ~30 yards but I freaked out and got down on a knee. That won't happen again, Lord willing. I have a new tactic I've been practicing.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:38 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Never and I do mean never ignore the wind. Now there’s times you can roll the dice with an “iffy” and hope u can get a shot off b4 he gets a whiff. But blowing directly at deer u r hunting on purpose is a fools game.

I know. I been burned many times. Its the rut, I have this week off. Im rolling the dice. How do you like me now?

Take an extra climbing stick and get as high as you can. The wind in my area has been swirling like crazy. If I decided not to hunt because of this I would not have gone out at all during my week off last week. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”