Poacher Mentality?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Mediocre Hunter

Poacher Mentality?

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Evening gentlemen, so I went from feeling like a freaking beast to feeling very queazy in a matter of about 10 minutes. I went to a spot that I felt was a great option for today. I started walking into the woods slowly, carefully and trying to keep an eye out for anything moving and such. I stopped about 50yds in from a road trying to plan my path through the area and heard a grunt and some rustling. I looked and lo and behold I saw the top 2 tines of a buck through some thick brush 15 yds to my right. Hence the reason I felt like a beast. So close yet undetected. He was walking towards the road so I just stopped and listened to what he was doing. Sounded like he was just browsing towards the road. Anyways about 5 minutes of that and I hear a vehicle approaching, slows down and fires a shot. Then I hear a couple of guys jump out of the truck and run into the brush, maybe gut him?(they were there for a while, load him up and drive off. I can still hear the truck off in the distance and hear the breaks squeak then another shot rings out, and another. For some reason at this moment I felt very queazy and just wanted to get the heck out of there unseen. My question on poaching mentality, is, do they have a tendency to hurt people or just disregard the wildlife laws? I've only been hunting for 6-7 years and this is the first experience I've had like this. Didn't know what you guys had experienced before or might know of similar situations.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Poacher Mentality?

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:23 pm

So close and you couldn’t intervene and make a video with a vehicle and license description? I’m sure you were shocked but a video turned into the authorities would be the difference you are looking for.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of them really aren’t terribly bad people. Probably some bored country boys riding around drinking beer. More then likely they would have just taken off if they had saw you. Now on the other hand there is an incredibly small percent that really are bad people and likely you did the right thing since you couldn’t be sure.

I’d take my chances with an outlawing country boy over a thug in the back of an alley any day of the week though.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a local wardens number handy in case it happens again.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:13 pm

I’d try to gather info to report it. Sometimes tough to get out of stand and in a position to photo/get a license plate.

Still, the CO might have been able to collect evidence for an on going investigation.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Could be the drunken country boy type or the regular law breaker type who hunts, for the most party they are no danger to you (other than flying bullets) but I would keep my distance.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:So close and you couldn’t intervene and make a video with a vehicle and license description? I’m sure you were shocked but a video turned into the authorities would be the difference you are looking for.

Right! My dilemma came where I'm one person, there's at least 2 of them since I heard a conversation going on. From my vantage point I could not see the truck or them. I'm my mind I thought about going to take a gander but at this point I don't know how they would react to knowing someone else was there. Hence my question.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:20 pm

JakeB wrote:I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of them really aren’t terribly bad people. Probably some bored country boys riding around drinking beer. More then likely they would have just taken off if they had saw you. Now on the other hand there is an incredibly small percent that really are bad people and likely you did the right thing since you couldn’t be sure.

I’d take my chances with an outlawing country boy over a thug in the back of an alley any day of the week though.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a local wardens number handy in case it happens again.

I called the game warden as soon as they got in their truck and heard them moving. Have location of where it happened and which way they were headed. They shot again from the road not a couple of minutes later so I figure they were going to continue in the area.

And as far as what I highlighted with the red glow, I know there's been some game wardens killed by poachers before so that's where I'm guessing my queasy feeling stems from. Obviously it's far and few in between but just had that feeling I didn't want to confront them.
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:23 pm

JakeB wrote:I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of them really aren’t terribly bad people. Probably some bored country boys riding around drinking beer. More then likely they would have just taken off if they had saw you. Now on the other hand there is an incredibly small percent that really are bad people and likely you did the right thing since you couldn’t be sure.

I have to disagree. It doesn’t matter the venture in life. A cheater is a cheater. A thief is a thief. There isn’t a hunter alive that wouldn’t understand what they’re doing is wrong in that circumstance. If you’re shooting multiple deer from the road, you’re a scum bag and should have your hunting rights revoked for a significant period of time.

Idiots like this and thugs in a back alley are the same thing. Both lying and cheating and taking things others are out there busting their tail trying to rightfully earn with hard work.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as politically conservative as they come and don’t want to government involved in much in terms of enforcement. There are many “illegal” hunting activities I’m more than happy to give a pass on (the wrong license by mistake, shooting a few minutes after technical shooting time, etc.). A lot of this stuff has nothing to do with true hunting ethics and is just bureaucratic lib red tape. But, we're talking about guys allegedly driving around shooting multiple animals from their vehicle. That’s not right on any level. Don’t care whether they’re drunk country boys or not.

Also, it’s embarrassing. It shows their true chops as a hunter.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:51 pm

You might get lucky, I think most local game wardens are very clued into who is who in their area. These boys sound like regular offenders With audacity who have taken a little slap on the wrist before. If the warden pays them a visit tonight and find them with multiple deer and bullet holes that might be enough.

Karma is coming for them one way or another. Sometimes it takes longer than it should. It’s all going to work out like it should. Now you know it goes on and Thinking about it might have you better prepared if it ever happens again.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:56 pm

MNBrowTines wrote:

I have to disagree. It doesn’t matter the venture in life. A cheater is a cheater. A thief is a thief. There isn’t a hunter alive that wouldn’t understand what they’re doing is wrong in that circumstance. If you’re shooting multiple deer from the road, you’re a scum bag and should have your hunting rights revoked for a significant period of time.

Idiots like this and thugs in a back alley are the same thing. Both lying and cheating and taking things others are out there busting their tail trying to rightfully earn with hard work.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as politically conservative as they come and don’t want to government involved in much in terms of enforcement. There are many “illegal” hunting activities I’m more than happy to give a pass on (the wrong license by mistake, shooting a few minutes after technical shooting time, etc.). A lot of this stuff has nothing to do with true hunting ethics and is just bureaucratic lib red tape. But, we're talking about guys allegedly driving around shooting multiple animals from their vehicle. That’s not right on any level. Don’t care whether they’re drunk country boys or not.

Lol, I’m not saying it’s right in any way. Or trying to justify it. Just stating who they likely are. And that the chances of his life actually being in danger are likely pretty small.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm

MNBrowTines wrote:

Agree 100%. I have lived in the hood and have lived in the country. Thieves and scum are found in all places. Both the harmless and the violent type.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:You might get lucky, I think most local game wardens are very clued into who is who in their area. These boys sound like regular offenders With audacity who have taken a little slap on the wrist before. If the warden pays them a visit tonight and find them with multiple deer and bullet holes that might be enough.

Karma is coming for them one way or another. Sometimes it takes longer than it should. It’s all going to work out like it should. Now you know it goes on and Thinking about it might have you better prepared if it ever happens again.

Which is probably how bad the system is broken. Following the wardens page on Facebook you see how minimal any type of enforcement is. We only have one game warden per county so alot gets by. Hopefully they get their's soon. I know it wasn't my buck, but it was the all of our state residents buck.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:54 pm

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:You might get lucky, I think most local game wardens are very clued into who is who in their area. These boys sound like regular offenders With audacity who have taken a little slap on the wrist before. If the warden pays them a visit tonight and find them with multiple deer and bullet holes that might be enough.

Which is probably how bad the system is broken. Following the wardens page on Facebook you see how minimal any type of enforcement is. We only have one game warden per county so alot gets by. Hopefully they get their's soon. I know it wasn't my buck, but it was the all of our state residents buck.

Very true. The whole thing is ugly. Try not to let it discourage you. I would stay on my season and Keep doing what I could to maximize success!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:

Very true. The whole thing is ugly. Try not to let it discourage you. I would stay on my season and Keep doing what I could to maximize success!

Preciate the encouragement. Beast on!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Is it not rifle season?

When I was growing up - folks shot legal deer whenever they had an opportunity - as there were very few opportunities. Road hunting was/is very common but rifle out of season was not something that was normally done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”