Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:27 am

Jmitch wrote:Just put two arrows in one first shot looked and felt great. Pass thru. Then he sorta circled and stopped again at 20 or 25. I put another arrow in him but hit high although much penetration the second hit. Had my sight set from the first shot at like 27 so hit him high. Could see real good blood from the second shot. He ran 40 or 50 yards then stopped. Heard what sounded like scraping in the leaves and him coughing. Couldnt see him then went quiet. Can see my first arrow so I'll check that in a minute or two

Awesome you were able to get 2 arrows I to him. If there’s any doubt in your mind, give it a bit if you can. Hate to jump him if you’re not sure but sounds like you saw good blood after that second arrow. Hopefully he laid down not too far and expired there. Just don’t rush yourself if you’re not sure and good luck on the track!!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 am

Sounds like he's down jmitch. Good luck with the recovery
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 am

Checked the arrow and drenched in blood. Some bubbles but not tons. Super fun hunt. He skirted me probably 50 years thru thick brush. Was able to watch him thru binos and work him with a grunt call. Few grunts and a snort wheeze and he was fired up. Like pissed off. Destroyed a few small trees and made a few scrapes. Shot it thru a small hole right before he got downwind of me. Super fun now just need to.find it
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:56 am

Jmitch that's a dead buck. Good luck!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:56 am

briar wrote:Better shot wife took

Well done. I usually look in the Kill Zone to see what everyone is getting and realize how much I been missing in this thread.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am

briar wrote:Got it!

Awesome buck, digging the predator camo.

From the sounds of everyone the woods r heating up.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am

Awesome Jmitch! Can’t wait to see him.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:05 am

Been hunting more this October than I have in the last 5 years, so thought I would chime in with a couple ground hunt pics from this morning. Especially since this isn't always a kill thread.

I don't scout as much as I should, so when I get out I am usually picking through the nastiest stuff I find. This morning I drove to a public parking area and only one truck. I knew where I wanted to go. A swamp I actually did scout a couple of early springs ago. I started to cut into the hardwoods, to cut a little distance and there he was, the guy in the parking lot. He was about 30 yards off the main walking trail up in a ladder. I felt bad bud had to shake my head how I walked into the only hunter out in this section. So I skirted him and hit the nasty.

No animals were harmed during this creep through the swamp. Couldn't believe I didn't jump something, but I am stealthy ;)

The blue birds, and ducks, and chicadees, and woodpeckers, and sandhills, and crows, et al were pretty fun to watch. We had a good cold snap and looks like this week is going to be glorious weather for hunting. I am on it for once this time of year.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:34 am

Had to get down early Thursday night at prime time because of lightning. Friday I had 3 does and a fawn come by.(Had a gravy shot at two of the does but no tag in that county again). Had big plans for this weekend to hit a spot I'm excited for but ended up sick so couldn't get out. Things seem to really be heating up here in wisco
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Five small bucks and two does for me tonight. This cold front really had had them on their feet tonight.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Saw the first doe early. She ran into the bedding.

Then I got to test out my hide. 7’ to my platform, but I have good cover in that pine.

2nd doe read the script. She walked strait at me then skirted my tree at 3 yards. I was facing her and she never looked at me once. The ole mossy oak jean jacket passed the test. My pants passed too... not sure what pattern they are :lol: realtree XP or something that’s really faded.

Good looking 2 yr 8 point came in after that. He was coming down the pipe at 60-70 yards then houdini’d. Must have went north into bedding.

Then another doe came in that I thought about shooting. Her fawn was too small so I passed. They were front and center at 3-5 yards for a while. They sniffed my pee that I couldn’t hold too. They were curious and not alarmed at all.

They went strait down wind of my stench but apparently even at 7’ my scent went over them?? They never reacted at all.

At last light another doe came in, but it was after shooting hours. She informed me that my clothes do in fact stink.

No sign of the big fella, but that stand is HOT.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:34 pm

I think I walked in on a sleeping buck tonight, right in the kind of wide open 40 yards below him on a ridge he starts blowing at me. Threw a grunt his way and it managed to calm him down ( :shock: i was shocked this worked, but i was moving slow and quiet) then 30 minutes of him walking back and forth trying to figure out what I was while I try and knock an arrow and get turned around for a shot, just enough trees and branches to make shooting hard but I had one decent opening he crossed twice before I could get an arrow ready, after a while I was trying to move when he moved and kind of got in position. Finally he gave me an opening at 30 and I let her fly, instantly saw a branch moving after the shot and got worried. I never saw the hit and he didn't mule kick or anything and took off. I waited 20 minutes and snuck up to where he was standing, did find some hair, no arrow or blood to speak of but I didn't follow him far. Decided to just back out and go get a better light, however with all this snow I underestimated how far he could see me, was walking out on the main trail and I am very sure it was him who took off and was blowing like crazy on my exit, that can't be a good sign so I just decided to wait until first light and do a more thorough investigation. Obviously not a good feeling about this one.
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:50 pm

headgear wrote:I think I walked in on a sleeping buck tonight, right in the kind of wide open 40 yards below him on a ridge he starts blowing at me. Threw a grunt his way and it managed to calm him down ( :shock: i was shocked this worked, but i was moving slow and quiet) then 30 minutes of him walking back and forth trying to figure out what I was while I try and knock an arrow and get turned around for a shot, just enough trees and branches to make shooting hard but I had one decent opening he crossed twice before I could get an arrow ready, after a while I was trying to move when he moved and kind of got in position. Finally he gave me an opening at 30 and I let her fly, instantly saw a branch moving after the shot and got worried. I never saw the hit and he didn't mule kick or anything and took off. I waited 20 minutes and snuck up to where he was standing, did find some hair, no arrow or blood to speak of but I didn't follow him far. Decided to just back out and go get a better light, however with all this snow I underestimated how far he could see me, was walking out on the main trail and I am very sure it was him who took off and was blowing like crazy on my exit, that can't be a good sign so I just decided to wait until first light and do a more thorough investigation. Obviously not a good feeling about this one.

Good luck in the morning.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Congrats and good luck! It’s ramping up.

Had a 5 yard broadside opportunity at yet another small buck tonight. Why won’t a doe do the same?

Wife decided to make chili. She told me to pull out some ground venison. This got a bit more real when we realized we are out. Only one roast left!
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:09 pm

IMG_20201025_210407.jpg
was able to get it done on a doe tonight... Thought she was gonna catch my wind and panicked :lol: .... Feels good to get a kill under the belt though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”