Personal watercraft

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ranger12
500 Club

Personal watercraft

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:12 am

Greetings fellow beasts!! I had a question and just wanted to see what other guys do. I want to find or make a small raft or kayak that I can use on small creeks to get up to hard to reach bedding. I’m tempted to just paddle up stream with a inflatable. Anything to get me up there. I want something small like a personal duck boat. I can’t use a real boat because these are just creeks, not even rivers. Any ideas? any custom setups used specifically for this? anything will help. Thank you.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Personal watercraft

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 am

How far you gonna paddle?

Any more than 1/4 mile and I'd want a canoe or kayak.

If you want to build - look up Hybrid Prototype or Pirogue. A Pirogue would be great for paddling. The Prototype is an 8 ft decked john boat, perfect for 1 man.

A used sit-on-top kayak will likely be the cheapest & easiest alternative.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:17 am

How much you looking to spend? How heavy or fit are you?

Not counting the deer's weight. How much weight in gear including yourself will you be bringing?

How far of a distance do you need to drag the boat to the water?
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 am

It’s probably about 3/4 of a mile. I want to keep it cheap of course but it is what it is. It can’t be a aluminum boat. Some spots are 4’ deep, some are a 12” deep. I’m 200 lbs and in pretty good shape. I can drag to wherever I need to or I can drop it in at the road. From the road it’s .75 mile but I can walk most of that too. It would be paddling upstream on the way in but would be a breeze paddling out and especially if I had a deer to float behind me. I have a backpack with top and bottom predator clothes in it strapped to an LW assault 2 and 4 beast sticks. I want to see what’s the ultimate watercraft for a tiny creek like I describe. There’s many benefits to doing this such as not walking, getting deer out and being mostly scent free and quiet. Any more ideas?also, it’s a calm creek, probably 20’ wide, in some spots.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:35 am

Why can’t it be an aluminum boat?

I use my sevylor colorado where I can’t use my Jon boat.

From what you describe if I could get my Jon boat to the water I assure you I could run right up that creek with the longtail, but it won’t be nearly as stealthy as paddling :lol:

But from the sound of it you could get up there with a trolling motor or small outboard as well. I have had my boat into some ridiculously skinny and tight water, especially if you are able/willing to portage a bit.

The problem with dumping money into a boat/kayak or whatever, for the one situation (tiny creeks) is I guarantee you will find a spot where you will need/want something than can do more. Believe me I have been down this road. IMO For the money you just can’t beat the versatility of a flat bottom jon. I can run my Jon boat in places you could never dream of paddling into due to water depth or vegetation.

But I do really like the Sevylor when I need it, not sure if you can find them new right now or not but I have picked up a few used for $100-$150 range I use them to duck hunt too super stable hold a ton of weight, they don’t paddle through vegetation well and are not a big water boat( wind is bad).
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 am

Not the best pic, but I did snap one This weekend. It just seems like a John boat is too wide with all the deadfall in the way. Also, is the kayak you talk about Inflatable? I thought of going that route as well. Also, there is no where to unload a John boat with a trailer and all. If a jon boat was thrown in the back of the truck, it seems a lightweight kayak would be between for carrying to the creek or hike in with it a little ways opposed to a jon boat. But what you say, makes total sense and I appreciate the advice. Here’s a pic of the creek.

1B831ED5-6526-4573-8427-5EAEAD11A80F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:47 am

Honestly I would get me one of those 12 foot plastic canoes and maybe a canoe dolly. I cant think of the name of the one I had that was stolen but it was lined with a foam and super quit plus it had like a 1200 lb load limit super stable and was perrty easy to move it around. But it was aluminium skinned, so had to have a dolly.

Made in Canada if I remember correctly.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 am

Sportspal was the name of the one I had. Had the flat back made to take a small trolling motor are maybe like a 2 horse air cooled outboard.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am

That would be the ticket! a trolling motor would be hunting beast style in luxury!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:23 am

Yea man the Sevylor is inflatable but it isn’t a ‘rubber’ boat it is durable they are made for whitewater.

I totally get what you are saying I would not use the Jon boat in a spot that I can’t just dump it in pretty easy but I have used a kayak dolly to go a few hundred yards but that was down a closed dirt road not thru woods/vegetation.

If you are coordinated you could also do an inflatable paddle board

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 am

I outfitted my ascend kayak that has a weight capacity of 450lbs with a trolling motor. It makes it a lot easier so I don’t get all sweaty on the way in. Only downside is I went with a 30 pound thrust and two batteries they can really only handle about an hour each at full throttle and Against The Current and some locations that’s about how long it takes me to get to the spot. Which is why I picked up a second battery. I don’t know which state you’re in but I believe in Wisconsin the moment you throw motor whether electric or gas on a kayak or canoe you’ll need to make sure that it is registered.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:57 am

Well this is what I went with. I have to build some kind of kayak dolly before Saturday morning. Hopefully it will do the trick! Cant wait!

4094B8DF-8DA2-47B1-9043-BC06FEB9F452.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:06 am

Which model and what size is that one? Looks like a sweet setup
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 am

Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 am

I got it used with paddles for $250. Hopefully it does the trick. I’m sure it will. Saturday morning is going to be a learning experience, haha!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”