Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby LukeTM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 pm

Pheasant opener today here in WI.
A buddy and are setting up on the backside of a heavily used pheasant property hoping to catch some squirters.

I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Wife and I are finally both fully recovered. Headed out for my first hunt of the season. Haven't ever gotten this late a start. 28 this morning with rain moving in 2 hours after sunrise. They should be moving. Will have to set up based on knowledge from previous seasons as I haven't been out in the field in about a month.
Congratulations to everyone whose been successful. Good luck and have fun all!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 am

Blind morning sit. Cool morning with a solid wind. Shined several deer on this oak flat walking in including a tank probably 30 yards inside the timber. Youth rifle this weekend so maybe extra traffic might stir them a bit. Regardless, most deer I’ve shined walking in/out this season so clearly the acorns are holding them here. Sitting the crest of a North facing slope
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:25 am

Wetfoot wrote:Wife and I are finally both fully recovered. Headed out for my first hunt of the season. Haven't ever gotten this late a start. 28 this morning with rain moving in 2 hours after sunrise. They should be moving. Will have to set up based on knowledge from previous seasons as I haven't been out in the field in about a month.

Did y’all have the Rona?

Good luck to all!

PS - Luke, that’s a pretty good idea. An unintentional deer drive. Wish I’d thought of that. :lol: Good luck!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:40 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Wetfoot wrote:Wife and I are finally both fully recovered. Headed out for my first hunt of the season. Haven't ever gotten this late a start. 28 this morning with rain moving in 2 hours after sunrise. They should be moving. Will have to set up based on knowledge from previous seasons as I haven't been out in the field in about a month.

Did y’all have the Rona?

Good luck to all!
Unfortunately yes, no idea how either. We live fairly isolated and have been keeping our distance too.

PS - Luke, that’s a pretty good idea. An unintentional deer drive. Wish I’d thought of that. :lol: Good luck!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 am

So much for a morning sit. Got where I was headed, grabbed my bow and heard a rattle. Stange thing is, I had trouble with consistancy while I was waiting to get over being sick and could never find anything loose. After heading back home and tightening the loose offenders, I took a shot to check my zero and ended up breaking an arrow (shot was 4" high at 10 yards, hit a fence and snapped in half) and spending about 45 minutes getting re-sighted. Bow is a tack driver once again. Will wait out the rain and use the high winds that are forecast to get some scouting done so I have a good idea where to go tomorrow. Rough start this year to be sure.
Luck has to turn at some point! :pray:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 am

:clap: congrats all you buck killers!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:36 am

Had what I’m pretty sure was a buck come in to 10 yards and check me out setting up in the dark then blow. Doe and two fawns walked under me at 8:30.

Honey do’s for the afternoon will find somewhere to get out tomorrow I imagine.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 am

So much for the lack of pressure I have been seeing. Decided to venture out on a Saturday since my wife has a zoom meeting all morning. I was disappointed when there was someone parked in my first spot I had picked. More disappointed with two trucks next to each other at the next one. Cruised around to five more spots to find at least two trucks each ( all small parcels, couple hundred acres or less). I'll be glad when my steroid treatments are done in a week and I should have the cardio to get back to longer scouting sessions/ hike ins.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 am

[quote="DhD"]So much for the lack of pressure I have been seeing. Decided to venture out on a Saturday since my wife has a zoom meeting all morning. I was disappointed when there was someone parked in my first spot I had picked. More disappointed with two trucks next to each other at the next one. Cruised around to five more spots to find at least two trucks each ( all small parcels, couple hundred acres or less). I'll be glad when my steroid treatments are done in a week and I should have my cardio back to do more scouting/longer hikes in. Currently limited to flat ground and not more than a few hundred yards of walking at a time.

Big congrats to everyone successful!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:31 am

Time to do work.
5FA8B559-4D93-461D-AE08-6976F0E16E68.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:Time to do work. 5FA8B559-4D93-461D-AE08-6976F0E16E68.jpeg

:clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jphill87

Unread postby Jphill87 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:16 am

Shot this two year old off the ground in a gillie suit under 10 yards off highly pressured public. He’s not big but he got my heart pumpin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:23 am

Skunked this morning, only saw a couple does. Just scouted my way into another spot, and came across several fresh rubs with a bed just ahead of them. Acorns dropping close and just saw a couple does up on the ridge. I’m settled in, might be a long wait, but I’ll take a doe this afternoon if I get a chance.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:48 am

It got a little western sitting on the suspected escape routes near pheasant fields. More hunters on this property this morning than I’ve seen on a gun opener.
Saw no deer but I was able to shoot a pheasant with my bow!

There was 47 trucks on that property when we left.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”