What time do you see deer in the evening?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

What time do you see deer in the evening?

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:13 am

I’ve been watching some you tube videos and following forums. I consistently see guys seeing deer an hour before sunset and late into the morning. I hunt open prairie in ND on both public and private where I’m the only person with permission and I rarely see deer on their feet before sunset or after sunrise. Most of the time the deer are getting up 10 minutes after sunset and are bedded by sunrise.

Where I hunt there are a few shelter belts and farmsteads. Most of the deer use standing crop or sloughs to bed in. Are the deer getting up late and bedding early because it’s so wide open. The window to catch a buck standing up most days seems to be about 30 minutes at best. I have 4 bucks on camera between probably 120 and 150 and I’ve seen 1 in daylight and I’ve spent a lot of time glassing and hunting. I know they are there but they just don’t expose themselves. I had a buck I hunted for three years that I had consistently on multiple cameras. I had 1 daylight pick and never saw him in daylight ever in three years. I think he died of old age as he was probably 8 or 9 years old.

What do you guys see most of the time.

Ghost Hunter

Re: What time do you see deer in the evening?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:44 am

Join club.

We all been there. Got figure them out.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:05 am

I see more deer between 9am and 3pm then any other time of the day on the public lands I hunt.

If your not seeing them your not close enough too their bedding areas, they have to get up and move sometime during the day.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 am

I hint a lot of open farm country, that has CRP fields and come low areas with cattails. For me this year I noticed that they will bed around and come into water the last hour of day light. Also you have to find their preferred food source, at that time. Luckily for me I have an alfalfa field that borders the private land I can hunt so they're in that all season long it seems. But the public places, it might be beans when they're green, then sugar beets after a couple hard frosts if they're still in the ground. Then it seems like they'll be in corn most of the year as well.
Tydaniel2340

Unread postby Tydaniel2340 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:29 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:I see more deer between 9am and 3pm then any other time of the day on the public lands I hunt.

If your not seeing them your not close enough too their bedding areas, they have to get up and move sometime during the day.

Are you consistently seeing deer prior to 9am and after 3 as well? Do you credit seeing them at those times due to hunters moving and pushing them?
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:40 pm

Tydaniel2340 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:I see more deer between 9am and 3pm then any other time of the day on the public lands I hunt.

Are you consistently seeing deer prior to 9am and after 3 as well? Do you credit seeing them at those times due to hunters moving and pushing them?

If I had to put a number on it, I would say it's probably around 60% percent of the time that I see deer before 9 and after 3. I honestly cant put one specific reason why I see them, i think it's more of being closer to their beds and that very small core area they will move in during those hours that most hunters wont catch them in.

The public lands I hunt, the deer rush back to their beds well before daylight, outside of the peak rut I very rarely go into the woods before gray light.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:27 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:
Tydaniel2340 wrote:

If I had to put a number on it, I would say it's probably around 60% percent of the time that I see deer before 9 and after 3. I honestly cant put one specific reason why I see them, i think it's more of being closer to their beds and that very small core area they will move in during those hours that most hunters wont catch them in.

The public lands I hunt, the deer rush back to their beds well before daylight, outside of the peak rut I very rarely go into the woods before gray light.

I see very similar on my public spots. Mine is more around 10:30 am til 1:30 pm. Then sometimes there’s a quick flurry when the evening hunters head to there stands and kick a few around. I’m also talking all deer not just the older bucks. Outside of the rut I typically sleep in and hunt 9 til 1:30. Seem to have the entire place to myself. My guess is deer are not accustomed to seeing hunters in the woods at these times. Rainy days are another...
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:
Tydaniel2340 wrote:

I see very similar on my public spots. Mine is more around 10:30 am til 1:30 pm. Then sometimes there’s a quick flurry when the evening hunters head to there stands and kick a few around. I’m also talking all deer not just the older bucks. Outside of the rut I typically sleep in and hunt 9 til 1:30. Seem to have the entire place to myself. My guess is deer are not accustomed to seeing hunters in the woods at these times. Rainy days are another...

Agreed. Raniny and high wind days are some of the best days to be in the woods I hunt. It's like the deer know that nobody is going to be out hunting. Those are the days that I live for you just never know what's going to happen.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:25 am

I sat on the spotting scope last night for two hours on one of my private spots. Finally got a look at another one of the bucks Im trying to kill. He’s bedding in a pasture about 1.5 miles from the crop field I have pictures of him in. He was moving toward the crop field but never made it in daylight. I’m not saying he’s impossible to kill right now but he’s damn close. If I could rifle hunt him he’d be in big trouble. There’s no cover where he’s coming from. Just a grazed down pasture with cows in it. I guess there’s a little grass along the fence line.

I think I’ll just leave him alone until the rut when he should be hanging with the does who are using the crop field. I think that makes more sense than messing up his routine.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:13 am

I see early movement in the summer, but the overwhelming majority (outside rut) during the season is in gray light after the sun goes down.

I have noticed that the higher the dpsm is, the earlier they’ll move. It’s a strength in numbers thing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”