Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Jmitch wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
LukeTM wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Remote oak points /islands.

No acorns.

No deer.

All I got was two knee boots full of swamp water.

Man, it’s tough re-patterning the deer with this low acorn year.

Yeah, I've only seen one white oak dropping and it was not in a huntable area. Deer were all over it but nobody can hunt there. Next to nothing everywhere else.

Same here so far. Funny thing is I was in northern Wisconsin duck hunting last weekend and could not believe the amount of red oaks that were dropping there and almost nothing where I hunt in southern wisconsin.

That one big white oak that was raining acorns was in NW WI. But... several miles away there were spotty (at best) red oaks and no good whites. It’s a bizarre (and bad) acorn year. Good if you can find one that’s producing.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Trout wrote:20201003_191032.jpgVideoCapture_20201003-203300.jpg

All the details in my beast hunting journal. Gonna be a sleepless night.

Good luck!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:39 pm

I got skunked tonight. Won’t be out tomorrow. Looking forward to next weekend!
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:49 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Jmitch wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
LukeTM wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Remote oak points /islands.

No acorns.

No deer.

All I got was two knee boots full of swamp water.

Man, it’s tough re-patterning the deer with this low acorn year.

Yeah, I've only seen one white oak dropping and it was not in a huntable area. Deer were all over it but nobody can hunt there. Next to nothing everywhere else.

Same here so far. Funny thing is I was in northern Wisconsin duck hunting last weekend and could not believe the amount of red oaks that were dropping there and almost nothing where I hunt in southern wisconsin.

That one big white oak that was raining acorns was in NW WI. But... several miles away there were spotty (at best) red oaks and no good whites. It’s a bizarre (and bad) acorn year. Good if you can find one that’s producing.

Last year was a great year for acorns as far as I could tell. From what I understand, when conditions are right, trees will have a massive crop year. As a result, they may not be able to produce much fruit the next year.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:03 am

Dilemma.
I’ve hiked a mile and found a confluence of trails at the lowest point going into corn. There is a fresh scrape, a few rubs and two cameras.
The day is still young. I intended to scout more but fear that if this is the best spot, going further will screw it up for the evening.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:53 am

LukeTM wrote:Dilemma.
I’ve hiked a mile and found a confluence of trails at the lowest point going into corn. There is a fresh scrape, a few rubs and two cameras.
The day is still young. I intended to scout more but fear that if this is the best spot, going further will screw it up for the evening.

Hunt it now. You can always go farther another day. If you think this is the freshest sign and that there is not something better. Why push further to confirm your suspicions?

If you think there is better sign, then keep pushing! Good luck!!!
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 am

Its 3 o’clock and I’m just leaving downtown Milwaukee. I’m gonna drive by some places closer to home but if there’s already vehicles there I Will have to move on and probably will have to hunt from the ground someplace due to time restrictions
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am

Just walked way to far in and finally setup. Remember that 20lbs I said I was going to loose? Evidently I didn't either. Hope bucks like the smell of a pig roast....
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:10 am

Tbunao and I didnt manage to kill any elk this weekend, but Tim got a pretty epic consolation prize.

VideoCapture_20201003-124945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:18 am

Good luck to everyone out!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Tbunao and I didnt manage to kill any elk this weekend, but Tim got a pretty epic consolation prize.

VideoCapture_20201003-124945.jpg

:shock: Awesome!
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:27 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
LukeTM wrote:Dilemma.

Hunt it now. You can always go farther another day. If you think this is the freshest sign and that there is not something better. Why push further to confirm your suspicions?

If you think there is better sign, then keep pushing! Good luck!!!

Thank you! I’m finally set up. I did end up pushing further and I’m glad I did. Found three illegal stands and another mock scrape. Once I got 100 yards away a couple dudes rolled right up to the spot on a 4-wheeler and milled around for a bit.
I’m glad to have fully scouted this property. Logged 4 miles and 5.8 “flights of stairs”.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:30 am

Settled in. Have a very rare east wind. In a tree I've always wanted to sit but never have. I'm thinking my odds are pretty good.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:56 am

1st spot I checked didn’t have any vehicles parked so I decided to give it a shot. This spot is much better during the rut but I haven’t been back here since last year. Only saw one boot track but it didn’t look like it went to this island. Unfortunately I’m in a tree 20yds from a cell cam and the main trail seems to come straight under my tree giving me really only a front facing shot if they don’t stop to browse or walk the edges.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:04 am

Got setup 2o minutes or so ago in a crooked little elm. Winds is pretty good so far hope something shows up. Good luck to all out

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”