...doe hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dallas.kc

...doe hunting?

Unread postby Dallas.kc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the beast style, and on top of that I’m hunting with a recurve for the first time this year. I’m wondering if any of you have tips for hunting does just to get on the board and get The nerves of the recurve out on public land. I know exactly where to go on our private because I see them all the time, but i really think I’m over thinking where to setup just to kill a doe on public. I find lots of trails, but find myself always asking, “are they actually using this right now?” I also find lots of beds, but obviously you can’t hunt those beds if you’re already standing in them. Any advice?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: ...doe hunting?

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:18 pm

My advice might not be what you want to hear, and depending on your reasons for hunting might not alien with your goals, but for me, I would suggest hunting for big bucks, setting up for big bucks, not getting into habits of hunting less productive spots to see higher deer numbers, and going for the gold... But, at the same time, if a doe you want to take comes in, shoot it.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 pm

If you follow the beast techniques, you will see more deer than you have in the past.
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 pm

Rich/Dan, you guys make a good point. Hunting with kids I have thought about trying to focus on hunting does to hopefully see more deer, but I can see how hunting this style with looking for buck beds will lead to seeing more deer in general anyway.
Dallas.kc

Unread postby Dallas.kc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 pm

dan wrote:My advice might not be what you want to hear, and depending on your reasons for hunting might not alien with your goals, but for me, I would suggest hunting for big bucks, setting up for big bucks, not getting into habits of hunting less productive spots to see higher deer numbers, and going for the gold... But, at the same time, if a doe you want to take comes in, shoot it.

I actually do like this answer. I think my hesitation stemmed from listening to one of the podcasts you did where you said you see less deer than other guys but more big ones. After going back and thinking about it I think you were referring specifically to bucks and mostly during the rut. Thank you for the response sir
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Not everyone on here is a full-fledged all or nothing kind of hunter. Dan is and if you follow him thru his journal and the videos, you will see that he sees a lot of does and small bucks.

I just hunt for deer - not having a lot of opportunity where I'm at and just not looking to make a large effort out of hunting. Found the Beast about 4-5 yrs ago (date is in my avatar) and have seen more deer and more bucks since joining and learning for the guys on here.

2018 was my best find so far - scouted a handful of weekends trying to prep for a public land archery hunt and was following some stuff Dan was doing (first Public Hunt Challenge) which helped me to know to push for better sign and I basically tripped over the motherload and hung a camera - went from a couple sets of tracks in the mud to like 30 sets of tracks. The camera showed a mature buck and some does. Checking the camera scared off the big buck but we saw 5 or 6 deer in 2 morning hunts and shot 3, retrieved 2. The one that got away was a 6 pt hit in the front leg.

Fast forward to this year and I'm hunting with my 80 yo father - he's slowing down but enjoys going. So we hunt close to roads and in easy access areas. Baiting is legal and I will throw corn but do not set feeders - there's a strip of woods between and inside corner and a swamp - threw corn at 3 pm day 1, had a deer on it at 7 pm, had 7 does and a spike in there the next morning. Perfect for a morning crossbow hunt for dad - he had a bad night, we didn't hunt the following morning but the deer were gonna be there. Gearing up for rifle & rut hunting the end of October. Hoping to have dad watch that area for the bucks that will inevitably come in to check those does out.

Get ready cause this place will change how you think about hunting - it's an exceptional site and the folks are helpful.

I'd say to watch the Public Land Challenge videos for a quick boost as they cover quite a bit and really delve into what Dan teaches. You'll also see other guys you can learn from on there too. These made the biggest difference in how I scout and hunt public land.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:09 am

Just rack your brain for a few days about a big buck, drive an hour, walk a mile, have pristine wind conditions and she should show up! :? Works for me :lol:
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 am

dan wrote:My advice might not be what you want to hear, and depending on your reasons for hunting might not alien with your goals, but for me, I would suggest hunting for big bucks, setting up for big bucks, not getting into habits of hunting less productive spots to see higher deer numbers, and going for the gold... But, at the same time, if a doe you want to take comes in, shoot it.

The one thing that I hear a lot of on the Beast that has created success for me with doe, is to hunt where the hot sign is and hunt close to bedding areas. Seems silly to say, but you need to hunt where the deer are and the sign will tell you this. Just last week I was struggling with what the current hot food source was and I noticed mowed down corn on an inside turn wooded edge. Sure enough, I saw fresh tracks on a beaten trial going from the woods to this corn. I set up on a pinch point on this trail that was connecting the corn to the bedding area and I counted 8 deer in total that night. Didn't see any mature bucks but I also had a doe snorting at my for 5 minutes straight!

Don't predetermine your spot and just keep walking until you see that fresh sign and then set up!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Dallas.kc wrote:

I actually do like this answer. I think my hesitation stemmed from listening to one of the podcasts you did where you said you see less deer than other guys but more big ones. After going back and thinking about it I think you were referring specifically to bucks and mostly during the rut. Thank you for the response sir

It depends on where your hunting, and how game rich the enviroment... If there is a lot of deer and lower pressure hunting food sources or rut funnals can produce more deer sightings. If you hunt heavy pressure and low numbers you wont see much hunting any other way outside of rut and opening week
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 am

<DK> wrote:Just rack your brain for a few days about a big buck, drive an hour, walk a mile, have pristine wind conditions and she should show up! :? Works for me :lol:

Works for me too! Couldn't do it better if I tried lol
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:02 am

This is exactly how I explained to another member the way that I hunt. I'm but no means an expert, but I hunt like I'm looking for a 200 inch buck every time. The reality is until I get a few more kills under my belt the first basket rack 8 that walks by is getting smoked. But I keep up that mentality and attitude. I like to think it makes me better.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:41 pm

I’m several years into public hunting, popped my public cherry on a couple of does last year. It was exciting and enjoyable, but now I’ve set my goals a little higher. I was mostly setting up blind in areas based on map findings, but doing more scouting has created several new areas that I’m excited to sit trying to kill that first public buck. And when it’s convenient, I’ll shoot a doe that walks by, but I’m not going to waste time in areas that I don’t think will hold a buck.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:58 pm

That is great advise that I needed to hear as well. I've had a few people say to hunt does to get some experience, but I agree with you Dan. Last year was my first year hunting and I took a doe on day two of the season from 20 yards with my bow. That was good enough for me at that time. I shot a great mature buck on day one of rifle season last year, but it was on almost never hunted private land in a pre-set tower stand. Last year I passed on several does, and only regretted not taking one because I had tags that didn't get filled with a buck. This season I took my first public land bow buck from 30 yards on the 6th day of our season during a managed hunt where there was 150 other hunters... there are alot of deer in that place, but there was alot of pressure. My buck was not a "mature" buck by any means, but it was a young adult 9 pointer that is likely barely over 100". I couldn't have been much happier, and it feels like an enormous accomplishment. I definitely don't feel the need to hunt does for more experience, and I'm glad that you have put that thought to rest in my mind. But now I am even more obsessed with eventually being able to hunt "beast style", and to be able to take mature public land bucks. My plan is to continue to set the bar higher.
Mutt

Unread postby Mutt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:20 am

Gotta remember seeing deer, and being in range of deer are big differences. You will find plenty of does and small bucks as you learn which spots are good bedding and which spots are big buck bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”