How far do thermals travel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

How far do thermals travel

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:09 am

I have a spot I want to hunt. There is a big flat ag field in the south that butts against a big wooded hill in the north. there is a small 200 yard strip of flat woodline that parrallels the field to the north and the big ridge to the north. The predominate wind come from the south and blows toward the hill but you will have the thermals from the hill dropping into flat land. My question is when thermals fall into a flat piece of land like this how far will they push out. In the evening when its calm will it be like having a north wind since the thermals are dropping from this big hill in the north? By big hill I mean it goes from flat land to 150 ft at like a 45 degree angle. Ill attach a photo here. There is a rubline in the flat piece of land and and beds next to the powerlines on the map and ive spotted a nice buck in daylight eating the beans. How should I set up on him. Its going to be a tight setup and I might have to wait for a better wind but im worried the hunting pressure will push him out after opening day. Thanks for the help guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: How far do thermals travel

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:45 am

Depends on location and terrain type.

Rising thermals don't travel near as far as falling thermals. From what I understand and im no expert. Falling thermals drop to the lowest point and flow down the creek or whatever the lowest spot happens to be.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:48 am

since its all flat would it be safe to assume that it would be like f I poured water on top and the water would just keep going in the same direction until it reaches the creek thats a 1/4 mile south
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 am

Lots of variables man. Have to check it.

In flatter terrain there can be stronger thermal pulls than elevation, pay attention to shade lines, bodies of water and even things like the dark soil of a plowed field.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:33 am

Hard to say. I would say go in there and bring your milkweed and see what its doing- then set up accordingly. Just my take- But from what I am seeing in this scenario, if its still a south wind that day, I would access from the west of that field and head east to that rub line and set up in there- but only in afternoon for an evening hunt. Stay out of the field when you access, stay in the timber. If you can only hunt it in the morning- Try to get near his bed and access as directly to it as you can with the wind in mind and still staying out of the field. I am sure he will scent check his bed so set up on a down wind or quartering wind side. He'll Jhook the bedding area and hopefully youll be on the right side of the Hook before he hits your wind/scent stream. If he's already bedded though your screwed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”