Shooting one before heading out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RookieBeast2019

Shooting one before heading out

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am

The guys at THP always seem to shoot a few arrows before heading out. Anyone else do this?

I don’t but I might start to consider this. Is it even legal to just shoot one in the parking lot?

I would believe so since for xbow you have to discharge it.

jvaughn415

Re: Shooting one before heading out

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:52 am

I always like to sling a few arrows before I head out just to secure my confidence. Worst feeling in the world is feeling unsure about your bow
Perception is reality
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 am

It's a good idea, but I typically don't have time most days, as I'm usually hunting in the evening after work.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:03 am

I usually carried a couple field points in my quiver, and used to shoot them at a leaf either first thing when I get up in the stand in the evening or right before I get down in the morning to make sure I was on. For the last 3 years I've shot damn near every day throughout the season, so I don't shoot as much from the tree.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:04 am

I shoot one arrow each day just before I go out hunting. My bow gets banged around a lot especially after dark so I started doing this many years ago just to have the confidence knowing my bow is still right on from the previous hunt.
Cvanheel

Unread postby Cvanheel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:14 am

Yes. Most of the time anyways.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:15 am

I've always found when practicing that my first arrow is always dead on. For that reason, I figure my first should be at a deer, not a target.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:55 am

I usually try to, at the very least every couple hunts. A lot of it depends the type of habitat I was hunting and how much it would've gotten snagged or bumped around a little. If you have time, its dumb not to. It only takes a couple minutes to put your target out and shoot a few arrows then put everything back. I'd rather spend a little time making sure everything is where it needs to be and feels right than to have the deer/any animal for that matter, I'm after right in front of me and wound it or completely miss and live with that for the rest of my life.
jvaughn415

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:09 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:I've always found when practicing that my first arrow is always dead on. For that reason, I figure my first should be at a deer, not a target.

If only your first shot is dead on id say you'd need to work on your shooting to ensure you're accurate every time
Perception is reality
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:29 am

A lot of public places don’t allow “target practice” in the parking lot or camp. However a lot of them do have somewhere to shoot. I don’t shoot prior to going to the stand but I do often take field tips and shoot one or two arrows at a pine cone or something before I get down. Obviously this depends on if the ground is hard enough to stop my arrow.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:01 am

I think its a very important and overlooked thing to do. Especially during the rut when you hunt sun up to sun down for days in a row w/o shooting. Just target practicing to stay in shape, my first cold shot of the day is always the worst. Thats the one the deer will likely see too... I notice a huge difference when I dont shoot for a couple days and then try to get back in shape before the weekend. Also drawing my bow after getting setup can be important.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:22 am

I suggest one ELEVATED shot.
I also like practicing @ dusk, elevated once again, when not hunting, from different angeld and yardages.

I bet a heavy majority do not practice this IMO?!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 pm

I used to sling one on my way out. The past 6 or 7 years I’ve stopped cause I no longer see a point. I mean say u miss, then u spend your entire time on stand with negativity dancing in your head. Atleast I did. Then say u hit the sweet spot..., more often than not was while on my feet shooting in open prairie conditions. Wasn’t exactly conducive to real world hunting conditions and for me didn’t do anything to up my mental state.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”