Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Marshbuster89 wrote:Well I missed a mid-to-high 140s tonight. Had to have hit something cuz that nockturnal looked like a carnival ride on its way to the mark. Clean miss at least but I’m less than enthused lol

Hey, day 2 of the season and you are on ‘em. Old hat for you I know, but you’ll git-r-done before too long,

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:52 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Marshbuster89 wrote:Well I missed a mid-to-high 140s tonight. Had to have hit something cuz that nockturnal looked like a carnival ride on its way to the mark. Clean miss at least but I’m less than enthused lol

Hey, day 2 of the season and you are on ‘em. Old hat for you I know, but you’ll git-r-done before too long,

Yeah it’s been a good start, opening night I laid eyes on one of the main boys I’m after, about 155-160 so I went in last night hoping he would repeat it and this other buck came from that area. Watched him for an hour and decided if he gave me a shot I was going to take him...well, luck was in his side last night, lol. Maybe it’s a sign from the big guy upstairs. Lots of time left!
How bad do you want it?
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:08 am

greenhorndave wrote:The bedding area I thought was going to be good was soggy from all the rain. Definitely beds in there, but there was water in them.

Was going to post up in another spot after that didn’t pan out, but decided not to rush it because I don’t think it saw pressure from that side of the public yet. I’ll go back in when I have a little more time.

Fun to be out there swamping knee boots again though.

Crazy amount of rain we've gotten here in SE WI after a relatively dry summer.
I had thoughts of hunting some marsh areas this opening weekend but decided, with all the rain, to focus on more wooded areas.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Yeah it’s been a good start, opening night I laid eyes on one of the main boys I’m after, about 155-160 so I went in last night hoping he would repeat it and this other buck came from that area. Watched him for an hour and decided if he gave me a shot I was going to take him...well, luck was in his side last night, lol. Maybe it’s a sign from the big guy upstairs. Lots of time left!

Yup,
Maybe your destiny is to stick that 155!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
MuskieHunterDave

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:22 am

Got my first public land deer last night!
doe.jpg

I was set up in some mature hardwoods at the edge of a big bedding area. Could hear acorns dropping behind me steadily. She came in 45 minutes before sunset. Shot was 25 yards, hit her a bit back and a bit high. Great blood trail for the first 150 yards, it was spraying everywhere. Got spotty for the last 40 yards, but thanks to a buddy found her before 10 PM. I hadn't scouted the bedding area thoroughly before-hand, and I was surprised by how big it was. Several acres of thick, nasty stuff.

Feels so good to get one early season. Now the pressure is off and I can focus on getting a buck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 am

Congrats!

What state and what part of the state? Acorns have been pretty dismal in a lot of the place in WI that I was in over the weekend.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
MuskieHunterDave

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:25 am

greenhorndave wrote:Congrats!

What state and what part of the state? Acorns have been pretty dismal in a lot of the place in WI that I was in over the weekend.

I was in the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine. Most of the oaks were red but there was one white in the cluster that I was near.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:Got my first public land deer last night!
doe.jpg

I was set up in some mature hardwoods at the edge of a big bedding area. Could hear acorns dropping behind me steadily. She came in 45 minutes before sunset. Shot was 25 yards, hit her a bit back and a bit high. Great blood trail for the first 150 yards, it was spraying everywhere. Got spotty for the last 40 yards, but thanks to a buddy found her before 10 PM. I hadn't scouted the bedding area thoroughly before-hand, and I was surprised by how big it was. Several acres of thick, nasty stuff.

Feels so good to get one early season. Now the pressure is off and I can focus on getting a buck.

Congratulations!! :dance:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Congrats!

I was in the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine. Most of the oaks were red but there was one white in the cluster that I was near.

Gotcha thanks. I saw reds around West Bend, but it’s been really sparse everywhere else.
----------
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:I just had a doe and fawn pass underneath me. Really looking for some meat in the freezer.

What does everybody feel as ethical in regards to taking a doe with a fawn following? I really haven’t been able to take the shot over the years. Maybe I watched too much Bambi as a child.

Shoot it. I have. Seen the young ones hanging around the rest of the fall doing just fine.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 am

backstraps wrote:
doe.jpg

Congratulations!! :dance:

x2!

Meat in the freezer early on always feels good. Good luck tagging Mr Big!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:28 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:I just had a doe and fawn pass underneath me. Really looking for some meat in the freezer.

What does everybody feel as ethical in regards to taking a doe with a fawn following? I really haven’t been able to take the shot over the years. Maybe I watched too much Bambi as a child.

Shoot it. I have. Seen the young ones hanging around the rest of the fall doing just fine.

Those are usually the dumb one's that get slaughtered during the gun season because they didn't spend enough time with momma learning survival. I really enjoy watching the interaction between a doe and her young. To me that's one of my favorite joy's of the early season when not seeing bucks. For that reason alone I won't shoot a doe early in the season with fawns. Teaching them about danger when hunters start showing up in the woods in Sept/early Oct. sets them up much better for later in the season.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:53 am

Been on deer both nights so far. Had a doe right under my tree last night but didn't have a tag for that county. Pretty sure a buck came in and spooked past me on the opener after shooting light. Was dark and happened fast but I'm pretty sure I saw antlers. Can't complain, I'm seeing deer and it's still early.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08 am

doe.jpg

Congratulations man!
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 am

Congrats Muskie!
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”