Where to hunt high wind in the SE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Where to hunt high wind in the SE

Unread postby jbone23 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:07 am

Where do yall hunt when you know its going to be a really windy day in the mornings? Mainly asking about LA, MS,LA area. Ive noticed I generally don't see anything on morning hunts when its windy

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Where to hunt high wind in the SE

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Stalking is always a good tactic when the winds are high. I love stalking thru a corn field, on a wet and windy day! Also getting tight in of good bedding. Sometimes the only time you can hunt certain areas is on a windy day. Use the high wind to your advantage!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm in AR but when its windy I never see much of anything, and I mean over 10-15 mph winds. Now let it be windy like that all day and stop 30 minutes or so before dark and deer will flock to a food source. Maybe it's just my area and experience though. I know when I hunted Kansas a few years ago it never phased the deer at all if it was windy or calm. This year I am gonna try to hunt a few different types of terrain in windy conditions and see if I cant figure something out....
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:30 am

In general, I prefer to go low elevations in those conditions. I actually have a few spots specifically for it. I like to get close to bluff sides or very hard transitions to use the wall to my advantage. I like how deer cant walk that specific spot and it forces the wind out.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:42 am

Depends on time of season for me. During the rut we all know what bucks are doing. I hunt places that give them what they are after. In most rut situations at least in my terrain I believe they trust the thermal way more than wind direction.

Early season, high winds, I find there’s lack of movement and deer are skittish. Believe all that movement caused by the wind puts Em on edge. Typically find em in overgrown fields in such conditions. When that lays down due to a hard frost is where blow down areas in typical open woods shine for me. I also believe high wind days are a lot like a killer front. When those winds die down right b4 dark those deer are anxious to start moving after being cooped up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”